Jump to content
British Speedway Forum

Dave Stummings

Members
  • Content count

    308
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

113 Excellent

About Dave Stummings

  • Rank
    John Drake
  • Birthday 03/19/1928

Previous Fields

  • Gender
    Male
  • Age Range
    over 40

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    The Village
  • Interests
    Danger Man & The Prisoner
  • Team
    Hackney

Recent Profile Visitors

243 profile views
  1. Romford Speedway Reunion in 2019

    I think I read that the greyhound stadium is going the same way as Wimbledon’s stadium in Plough Lane. I’m sure there are restrictions on numbers in the stadium due to health & safety issues. If it’s true it's a very familiar story, run it to the ground and sell it off for housing. As for a Romford Reunion bring it on! Great times with fantastic rivalry between Brian Foote and Crayford’s Tony Childs. Dave Lanning [and his Eastbourne Eagles] had a love/hate relationship with the Bombers fans, George Major and Alf Wells weren’t particularly popular either! As for Len Silver and his Rayleigh Rockets….. 1976 World Speedway Champion Peter Collins had one meeting at the Brooklands Stadium in 1971, wonder what he made of the place? In those days promoters were a different class to the muppets who ran clubs today! Maurice Morley now 93 I believe is in reasonable health and wouldn’t it be fantastic to see at the Romford Reunion!
  2. 2018 Celebration of Speedway

    In years gone by Len Silver would have run an anniversary meeting at Rye House as it's probably the nearest track to High Beech. It's a shame the current Rye promoters didn’t have a meeting the night before the Celebration of Speedway at Rye. Yes the weather could be iffy but it couldn’t be as cold as in 1978 although of course rain may be an issue, but that can cause mayhem during the summer. But no doubt the BSPA would want a fortune to run from Rye House [or any other track] to hold a meeting out of season. But surely this would have been great PR to run a meeting close to that original date/venue and support the event. But I'm afraid in my view the sport is run by pot-bellied old men, with little or no interest in promoting speedway other than that of their own track, but what do I know!
  3. I’ll be off to this year’s Celebration of Speedway as it is an enjoyable day out. But I do have reservations over the price that has increased to £10 per person this year. If I am correct the event was originally free if you produced a copy of the Speedway Star advert. Then I recall it became a voluntary donation, then it was £5 and now it’s up to a tenner. Prices for drinks and food aren’t exactly cheap either and I’m sure they would still make money by charging less. I fully except the admission price to walk around the Wildlife Park is considerably more but not everyone wants to walk around the park as nice as it is and especially if the weather is inclement! I’m sure there are people who take advantage of the cheap price on the day to use all the facilities on site but as I say not everyone want to use them. Surely the Speedway Star idea should still be used? I do think the event is now becoming a money earner for the park. Does money on the day go to the World Speedway Riders Association, to the park, the speedway museum [is that part of the World Speedway Riders Association?] or do they all benefit? Maybe as an olden these days on a pension I expect too much. High Beach the spiritual home of the first meeting did outgrow its self but it would have been an idea perhaps to have something there this year as after all it is speedways 90th anniversary.
  4. Rye House 2018

    It’s a shame for me as work commitments make it very difficult for me traveling to either Rye on a Wednesday or Arena on a Friday, so much for their excuses 18 months ago about issues with Friday night racing. The team put out by Steve Jetson were born around the same times as Hanna-Barbera, originally ran The Jetsons in 1963. There’s no disputing Nicholls and Harris on their night around Rye can be truly ruthless, risking life and limb. But they’re another year older and perhaps a bit wiser? The same can be said for Stuart Robson. With Harris also racing for Glasgow, plus probably meetings on the continent how long before he burns himself out? Eddie Kennett and Ben Barker are at the moment the youngsters of the team and hopefully Kennett with far less pressure on his shoulders in 2018 than in 2017 can rekindle the form around Rye we all know he can do. Barker is very up and down but did start to pick up towards the end of 2017. Max Clegg hasn’t really impressed me and as the baby of the team I’m not expecting too much from him. My worry is away from Rye. I can see them struggling. But what about KK, is he the missing link? We all know when his confidence drops he is truly awful. Every year he seems to become a total disaster at some stage during the season. If as expected KK does sign the benefit of Stanstead just up the road will be of some help to him but can Rye afford to have him drop out of form with the other six team members? But let’s look on the plus side. We have the fantastic Rye House website updated monthly, the stadium will have been completely renovated, the old long bar may now well be a dealership and may even be finished, [what benefit that is to speedway at Rye House I have no idea] the bars will be selling tinned beer, the club shop will be run by the club, then given back to the Barbers mid-season after they fail to make enough money, the chip bar will be selling cod and not some fish substitute, tea and coffee will still be £1 [great value], the referee and announcers box will be on the start/finish line and in a proper box and not open to the elements as it was towards the end of last season and finally we still have speedway at Rye House. Personally I think Rye made a big mistake moving from Saturday’s and should have stayed in the second tier of British speedway. With the shower at Arena racing on a Friday in speedway’s Championship, I can see many who left Arena to go to Rye returning back to Purfleet. But what do I know, just an old git typing his thoughts, but if it’s bought the smallest smile to your face, fantastic!
  5. Speedway at the end of September at Lakeside, wow! Think Lakeside will probably win the home leg, but will it be enough for the second leg? Hopefully Belle Vue will have Dan Bewley available. After yesterday at NLRC there should be some good races with Morley
  6. Nl Riders Championship Leicester Sun Sep 24th 3pm

    The tyres supposedly went to Sheffield! Bowen and Bewley made the meeting acceptable; otherwise I'm afraid it was a typical Leicester meeting. I have to say Luke Bowen is fearless, his outside manoeuvres trying to pass Ben Morley were breath-taking. Think the few fans on the 3rd and 4th bend had quite a bit of dust [or was it shale?] to wash off when they got home. League Riders Championships were once meetings when it was the cream of the league representing their club. Obviously injuries played there part yesterday but Steve Boxall non-inclusion is baffling. Another baffling decision was NOT to announce dates and matches for the play-off semis at the meeting. This was after all the NLRC and surely would have been an ideal time to announce the dates! What should have happened the promoters of all the NL Clubs should have been in attendance [were they?] and they would have been giving interviews over the PA doing there bit to promote their meeting, but needless to say nothing! We've had to learn later that evening the dates and who has chosen who. But typical that Eastbourne haven't announced their home leg date with Kent yet! Speedway could be run so much better, the little things can make all the difference, but I guess when you have Muppets running British Speedway you can't expect anything less. And finally can we have the NLRC somewhere different next year please.........
  7. British Speedway 2018

    With the uncertainty of various clubs for 2018 I wonder what the BSPA have planned for next year. Will promotion/relegation continue? Has it or will it been a success? I’d like to see the tactical substitute rule changed to when a team are 6 or more down a inform rider can replace a reserve or out of form rider who is the main body of the team. Will the six man teams be put back on the table with the apparent lack of riders? Regional speedway leagues don’t practically wet my whistle, although with only a handful of teams in the upper league perhaps if it gives more variety of teams and riders I may change my mind. With the uncertainty with Lakeside, Plymouth and Cradley’s participation in next season’s 3rd division I wonder if we’ll see anyone replacing them should they not run, Rye House maybe?
  8. With some clubs season already over Kent continue with a very important fixture [weather permitting] against Steve Boxall's Plymouth team. Surprisingly no thread this Monday morning. It's a must win match for Kent with several away matches, one of which is still to be arranged. Always thought the NL and old PL were the best leagues to be in, with rider shortages it seems what ever league your team races in you just don't know who's not going to be riding. On the way the Kent team have rode this year can only see a Kings win, but if the track is wet, it could be close.
  9. Hammers Vs Stoke 3/9

    I think the issues at Lakeside go far deeper than we all know. I have never been a fan of the track, but the reasons for a drop to a lower league were of course due to the money being lost over the last few years at Lakeside. Stuart Douglas has been probably the only reason Lakeside are still racing today. To go from seeing the top riders in the then Elite league to the third tier will of course mean the gates will drop, especially as Rye House had taken the step up to the first tier of British Speedway. Monday nights at Lakeside would I believe would be a bigger disaster next season, as this year has been. Look at the crowds when Sky Sports Monday meetings were televised, probably similar crowd to yesterday! Thursday race nights, well of course Arena have ridden before on Thursdays with reasonable crowds. My own personal view would be second division racing, however I can’t see that being much cheaper to run than last year. In the second tier that means they could race when the club want, in conjunction with the stadium owners. However I thought the stadium was under the spotlight as being sold and that was one of the reasons Lakeside went into the NL? Is there a way forward? If riders such as Jason Doyle don't want to ride next season unless a Monday or Thursday then let them not bother riding here in the UK. But has the UK enough riders to go around without the likes of Doyle and co? It's the GP's that have really hammered British Speedway's in to the depths is currently in. Season's finishing in late August early September is crazy. Long gone are the days when a club would have 30 home meetings a year. At least Kent are running meetings every Monday, who've probably had double the meetings Lakeside have had this season. And what of the Lakeside season ticket holders, have they lost out this year with the club pulling out of the NLKOC? It’s all a mess at Lakeside, like the rest of British Speedway. As I said at the start of my reply to City Rebel the issues at Lakeside go far deeper than we all know.
  10. Rye House V Wolverhampton Sat 1st April

    It's under a week, bring on the 2017 BMR Rockets :t:
  11. Rye House V Wolverhampton Sat 1st April

    Two weeks Saturday until BLAST OFF, bring it on :t: :t: :t:
  12. WE HAVE LIFT OFF! Ok it’s early to put up [6 weeks] this thread, but for the first time in many along year I’m quietly looking forward to the 2017 season. Have the BSPA at long last got it right I wonder? The opener for my local track Rye House is the visit of Wolverhampton’s on April 1st, ironically of course April Fool’s Day! For the Wolves certainly Sam Masters has been around the Rye track quite a few times but not at the senior level. But how much difference is there now between the old Premier and the new SCB Premiership? Not sure if Adam Skornicki has even ridden at Rye but it’ll certainly be a meeting when the riders from both teams will be brushing off the winter cobwebs. The outstanding rider for the Wolves is Freddie Lindgren, again not sure if he's ridden Rye and with backup from Jacob Thorssell. The tail does look a bit weak for Wolves in Nathan Greaves, Kyle Howarth, and Max Clegg. With the Rockets 1-6 certainly looking a lot stronger with Eddie Kennett, Chris Harris, Scott Nicholls, Davey Watt, Stuart Robson, Rob Branford and with Ellis Perks hopefully he'll be able to pick a few points up. A few of the Wolves boys will have ridden at PK’s farewell a few weeks before and Wolves will have raced at home to Poole the previous Monday so they’ll certainly be less race rusty than the new look Rockets! As for the result, well I’d probably still plump for a Rye win but you never know with speedway. I’m sure there’ll be some disagreements in my post and sure there’ll be some corrections! It’ll be interesting to see what changes and improvements have been made to Rye's facilities for the opener as quite honestly last year the place was a building site, let’s hope it’s all completed for the opener on April 1st!
  13. Lakeside 2017

    I’ve never been a fan of Arena Essex when they’ve been in the top league. Strange isn’t it I just couldn’t get on with EL speedway at Arena. However I enjoyed second division racing there and also when they raced 3rd tier only a good few years back. So despite me not going to Arena at all last year, I will return at least for their opening meeting and probably a few others throughout the course of the 2017 season. Despite the so called ‘best riders’ riding in the EL, I found Arena wasn’t the most entertaining track to watch these so called ‘big boys’, but the NL I think will produce a lot more passing. Yes it’ll probably be due to rider errors in some cases but Arena is a tight track and could well be a learning curve for many. In relation to the team, I’d take this team if they could race in Hackney’s Waterden Road Stadium! Hang on, David Mason did! In all seriousness Arena need support to try and find a new home. If this season is the last one at The Arena Essex Raceway I think like many tracks, it’ll be confined the record books, just like Hackney. So back to the team, Morley will be outstanding as he was last season at this level. I am surprised he’s not riding in a higher league although I’m sure that’ll probably happen. Zach Wajtknech should do well, but after that the tail is extremely long. George Hunter I hope will be calmed down by the Tatum influence, otherwise he’ll be injured more of the season than fit. Alfie Bowtell’s 3rd season in the sport and after a good start with Rye in 2015 didn’t perhaps live up to expectations at Mildenhall in 2015. Nick Laurence will probably pick a few points up here and there judging by some of the team line-ups I’ve seen thus far and especially around Arena. David Mason obviously still enjoys riding a speedway bike competitively. All though getting a lot of stick on here will be good for a few points both home and away. Yes the teams not got the look of a Belle Vue Colts team perhaps but as I stated earlier, I’d jump at the chance to have that team [or any other team for that matter] racing at The Wick! Despite what Jon Cook has stated regards the availability of the track in 2017, I believe it goes a lot deeper than that. I see the main team sponsors Vortex seem to have departed and wonder if Stuart Douglas [and his financial input] has gone to, despite he’s still showing on the website as promoter. As already stated cost of admission will make many people either go or stay away. They had a great programme in previous seasons but it needs to be a realistic price and probably changed to a less classy proggy. £15 including a programme I think would be the max. £12 admission and £2 for a basic programme would for me, be about right. My biggest fear for the survival of Arena are will the crowds take from watching AJ to watching NL speedway. Race days of course are always going to be issue. Whatever day of the week it’ll not please everyone. Location wise ideal but the M25, Dartford Crossings and the A13 argh……..
  14. Kent Kings 2017

    Can’t see a topic on the Kings for 2017 excuse the post if there is. With James Shanes riding for Poole and possibly a Championship club, plus Long Track and Grass Track will he have time to race NL speedway? With the possibility of Danny Ayres doubling up to this could be a very difficult season with missing riders if both Ayres and Shanes ride for the Kings and are unavailable. Should the club look elsewhere to replace these riders? Jack Thomas should improve no end in 2017 as should Ayres and Shanes whatever clubs they ride for. Of the rest of the 2016 team I doubt Luke Clifton will be back, Danno Verge had moments but did struggle on the fast pacey tracks. David Mason obviously still enjoys his speedway but will he want another season riding? Good to see Luke Bowen back for 2017, looked like he really enjoyed his speedway riding for the Kings and is an excellent number one to lead the Kings in 2017.
  15. Lakeside 2017

    I agree cityrebel, if Rye want to attract Lakeside fan's AJ is the rider they need and Kennett of course. To have NL [suppose they'll change their name for 2017] speedway at Lakeside, well I think it won't happen. Cook was going to race a NL team a few years ago and they decided they couldn’t afford it, what's the difference now?
×