British Speedway Forum

I hate to come back to the subject of track surface preparation concerning the GPs, but feel that since Speedway could be on the brink of mass acceptance throughout the world, thanks to television, I have a suggestion, and wonder what others think. I feel the FIM should set a standard for track surfaces, with a certain amount of dirt on the tracks to encourage more passing. How many times have you seen someone take a huge gamble going around the outside, only to be rewarded by getting passed? I know that in construction they have a meter that one can stick into the ground to judge moisture and tightness of the soil. It isnt rocket science, so many meetings that have been televised over the years have been ruined by slick racetracks. Television is the one big chance to capture mass appeal, and I think not enough thought has been put into this. Weather is something that can't be controlled of course, but please lets have tracks that reward the risk takers. Sandman :!:

Trackman would have loved to get his teeth into this subject.

His reply would have gone off the page. :lol:

Does Doc Bridget have computer access? I'd LOVE to see his comments.

We have two of the best tracks up here thanks to him.

Is there any communication between trackmen at the different tracks up and down the country? Do they learn from each other or is it just a case of every man for himself?

I assume that for the GP temporary tracks they have their own little team who go to most venues which in many ways is a shame as surely 'local' knowledge on conditions would help.

I know a lot of the problem lays in the cost, but who wants to see racers staying in the blue groove smoking their tyres? It seems to be a problem with the Sprint Cars in Aussie and USA. I dare say there a whole legion of fans who have never seen a top notch match with loads of dirt on the track, but in my opinion, That is Speedway. I would think the top GP riders would love it. It does up the ante in the danger department because a mistake can send you into the wall. Just some standards please, especially for the sake of the telly, so we can garner more fans. If I hear the phrase " The problem with speedway is first one out of the gate wins", one more time I may throw up! This is the greatest sport in the world, and the world needs to know it. More fans equals better facilities, more prize money for the riders and more respectability. Everyone deserves better. I try to not be critical, as I love this sport, I just want to see it reach its potential, I want better facilities and see the riders make good money, esp. considering the risks involved. Ahhhh, I think the air just deflated outta my head and it hurts Brian. Sandman ;-)

I agree Sandman, there are plenty of riders in the GP's who would relish in the the deep wide open spaces some of the GP tracks offer. The dirt was out there in the Bozy$%&* blah blah (can't spell) Polish GP last year, and it was a good meeting.

Minimum dirt depth I say, which will enable the riders to show the world what a wonderful sport we have.

Guest wes lake

I agree in principal to sandman. But i feel that all the man made tracks should have some banking to allow for boys with big b***s to have a go around the outside instead most of them are flat or some actually have an adverse camber which will always make the quickest way round the line or close to it. In Poland last week yes they had a blue groove which provides loads of traction but when they did the track grading they dragged what dirt there was back over it which is of no use at all its like throwing sand on glass why not leave it on the outside for the boys who want to try and use it.