British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest kent

Crayford Kestrels

Guest kent

Just been looking through a 1978 Crayford programme and the team was 1.Laurie Etheridge 2.Pete Wigley 3.Alan Sage 4.Tony Featherstone 5.Alan Johns 6.Richard Davey 7.John Hooper The second halvers were Jack Bibby,Geoff Cable,Garry May.Nigel Sparshott and Paul Hollingsbee anybody know where and what these riders are doing know.

Just been looking through a 1978 Crayford programme and the team was 1.Laurie Etheridge 2.Pete Wigley 3.Alan Sage 4.Tony Featherstone 5.Alan Johns 6.Richard Davey 7.John Hooper The second halvers were Jack Bibby,Geoff Cable,Garry May.Nigel Sparshott and Paul Hollingsbee anybody know where and what these riders are doing know.

Can help you on some of these:

1. Last time I saw Laurie was at Arena a couple of seasons back - he and wife Dee still live in Pulborough in Sussex where I believe Laurie works as a plumber.

2. Pete Wigley - "slightly" over his racing weight last time I saw him at an IOW match last year (he and wife Chris visit Smallbrook every year). Tells me he has now got a supervisors job wiith the GPO or whatever it's called nowadays.

3. Saw Alan Sage at Arena last year - hasn't changed a bit...stil lives in Ashford.

4. Tony's somewhere in Norfol!

5. Met Alan Johns (briefly!) at Barnehurst (Kent) railway station last year - like Sagey, hasn't changed one bit!

6. Beliieve Richard Davey (like "Feathers") lives in Norfolk still.

7. Johnny H - last I heard, was running a driving school in Kent

Can't help on Geoff Canble, Jack Bibby or Paul Hollingsbee.

Garry May lives and works in Poole and regularly attends matches at Wimborne Road

And finally, Nigel Sparshott was tragically killed in a road accident a few years ago.

Hope that helps

Bryn

Guest kent

Great stuff Bryn,any other riders from any other eras 75 to 83 would be great and has anyone done a website on Crayford.

Saw Laurie and Pete at the Veteran Speedway Riders Association Dinner this year. There's a photo of Pete at the dinner on here

If that doesn't work let me know!

Edited by norbold

Guest kent

Pete Wigley looks a bit different to the last time i saw him racing in 79 some other riders i would like to know where they are and what they do are Bill Archer,Richard Willis,Les Ott,Paul Gilbert,Tony Brooks,Mick Pither,Trevor Barnwell,Paul Bosley,Mike Spinks and Keith Cornell oh great times

Paul Boseley rode briefly for Hackney in 1988 - can't help you with anything more recent though I'm afraid!

Guest dontforgetoturnleft!!

Bryn,

You knowlege is excellent - every time I read a posting from you I can hear your voice - it reminds me of Ipswich's two years in the national league (in my opinion along with the 1981 first Sigalos/Cook season the most entertaining at Ipswich). As well as being at a few of the new tracks we visited I think I am right in saying you covered for John Earrey on at least one occassion.

Ever thought about wiriting a book about your times in speedway - how about "Speedway - in my words"?

Bryn,

You knowlege is excellent - every time I read a posting from you I can hear your voice - it reminds me of Ipswich's two years in the national league (in my opinion along with the 1981 first Sigalos/Cook season the most entertaining at Ipswich). As well as being at a few of the new tracks we visited I think I am right in saying you covered for John Earrey on at least one occassion.

Ever thought about wiriting a book about your times in speedway - how about "Speedway - in my words"?

Thanks for the nice comments (cheque's in the post!) and yes I did 'cover' for John, who of couse is sadly no longer with us, on quite a few occasions.

As for writing a book...one day perhaps BUT goodness only knows when I'd be able to find the time...looks like Oxford tomorrow, Easbourne Saturday, Sittingbourne Sunday, Wolves Monday, IOW Tuesday, Arena Wednesday.... :blink:

Edited by Bryn

Not at Poole next Wednesday Bryn? Shame on you. :D

Just goes to show that this lack of sleep lark plays havoc with my memory (or is it Alzheimers setting in???) - yep I'll be at Wimborne Road! :rolleyes:B)

Tony Featherstone

Tony is still around working as a fitter in a potato pre-packing plant, he is suffering with arthritis as a result of injuries he received during his career as a rider.

I used to know Tony a little, his enthusiasm was incredible and his bikes were always immaculate, he was a great encouragement to many riders.

His brother in law Michael Spinks is still living in the Wisbech/Peterborough area, last known to be working in landscaping.

Good to hear about Tony - not surprised that he works in a potato factory for on one northern tour for the Kestrels, when we arrived at Craighead Park (one of Glasgow's former homes) his first words to Jim Beaton Snr who was grading the track was, "when's the potatoes coming up then boy." !!! Mr Beaton was NOT impressed! LOL

Once acted as mechanic (er I use that phrase VERY loosely!) for Mike Spinks (not to be confused with Canterbury / Peterborough's Mike Spink) at Canterbury and he scored a 15 points max! :D

Met up with Paul Bosley and his brother Steve at Eastbourne last night - Paul is in the car spraying business.

Chris Tritton rode at No 6 (I think) early 80's - had a successful grasstrack career until a bad injury in 1997. Still involved in grasstrack though, works as a Youth Coach for the ACU U21 squad.

Just put London Road down as one of my favourite tracks.

I must admit I only went a couple of times but I saw two superb meetings - v Newcastle & Mildenhall in 1983 - and should have gone more often.

Didn't Mike Spinks (Boston one) also ride for Peterborough. Peter Spink did (brother of Mike, Canterbury one).