British Speedway Forum
Old Saint

Southampton

Hello # Name Removed #, I have read many of your postings on the forum. What a coincidence this thread was started the same day as the VSRA lunch, I have a chat with Ian Williams at Blunsdon each week and he was telling me what a good time they had. I know Dad would enjoy these occasions, maybe I can persuade him?

He was interested to hear of the riders you mentioned and obviously very sad to hear of Alby's illness.

I enjoy reading all your comments and memories, it's nice to know Dad is remembered so well.

Regards to you all Yvonne.

It is lovely to have had a reply from you Yvonne, thank you very much.

I still have the originals of all the Echo photos of Ernie Rawlins Funeral, with the whole Team in attendance. They finished up with me when Bert died, along with a couple of big boxes of other photos and all his old Trophies.

The trophies are all on display in my lounge, but the photos only get an occasional airing as it takes an afternoon to go through them all.

I must try and take them to the Luncheon next year, but it always seems to creep up on me and I never have time.

Latest news on Alby is not good, in that there is no real change, he is seriously ill.

The cards I received, I am taking over to his son, Brett, this afternoon, so thank you all for your thoughts and wishes. I shall pass them on.

Have a good weekend all.

David.

PS: I saw Brett at about 3.00pm. He said his Dad was very weak and things were not looking good. I have asked him to let Alby know, when he visits him at tea time, that there are an awful lot of people asking after him and wishing him well. He said he would and he will give the cards to Joan who has been with Alby constantly.

Edited by David Croucher

LotM: Please pass on my thanks and very best wishes to your father.

David: I am saddened by your news. Let us all hope that Alby makes a full recovery.

It is wonderful to share memories with you all and to know that the passage of time has not "gilded the lily" and that my fond memories of the Saints and the Stadium are accurate.

Recently I was told that I am to be a grandfather for the first time. I shall, God willing, pass on my memories to a new generation. In this way the name of Southampton Speedway and the great, and brave, riders who made up the team over the years may live on.

Regards to all

Malcolm

You may be interested to know that another Saints stalwart, though not a rider is still active up here at Armadale - Dr Carlo Biagi

Dr Carlo Biagi

Dear Ian H,

If you know the Doc well enough or have contact with him, please let him know that there are still loads of Southampton connected Speedway Riders who still consider him the very best. The Fans loved his dedication, and the riders, who would prefer to drive half way across the country to get back to Dr Biaggi, rather than chance another hospital far from home, pay great testament to the massive respect, that years of devoted service and expertise earned him. Just tell him " It's Bert's nipper" ! He will know. D C

It is wonderful to know that Southampton Speedway lives on in so many ways and has given so much to speedway.

Guest Napoleon

Banister Court had a fine, comfortable stadium and a great racing track for a smallish circuit.

So sad to hear of Alby Golden's death - RIP.

Dr Carlo Biagi

Dear Ian H,

If you know the Doc well enough or have contact with him, please let him know that there are still loads of Southampton connected Speedway Riders who still consider him the very best. The Fans loved his dedication, and the riders, who would prefer to drive half way across the country to get back to Dr Biaggi, rather than chance another hospital far from home, pay great testament to the massive respect, that years of devoted service and expertise earned him. Just tell him " It's Bert's nipper" ! He will know. D C

David

I spoke to Carlo on Friday and gave him your message. (He knew you OK) He sends his best wishes to all his friends from his Saints days

I found an old, very old, autograph book of mine. Some of the names in there:

Bill Holden

Bert # Name Removed #

Alby Golden

Ernie Rawlins

Dick Bradley

Ron Sharp

Johnny Hole

Brian Hanham

There is one I cannot make out, perhaps someone can help me - Ian ?

I found an old, very old, autograph book of mine.  Some of the names in there:

Bill Holden

Bert # Name Removed #

Alby Golden

Ernie Rawlins

Dick Bradley

Ron Sharp

Johnny Hole

Brian Hanham

There is one I cannot make out, perhaps someone can help me - Ian ?

The years are a bit of an anomoly Old Saint.

They must have been collected from between 52/53 up until 57/58 I would have thought.

If you can photocopy it, I will have a go at working it out. (Or send it to Norbold - the font of knowledge where all things Speedway are concerned.)

David.

Hi David,

Unfortunately many of the signatures would not be good enough to photocopy.

I suspect that the signatures would be towards the end of the period you suggest. It is quite possible that the signature does not belong to a rider as it was around the time when I first discovered autographs and there are the signatures of some old school friends in there as well.

There was another book as well, but that has gone missing sometime during the years :( However, I shall treasure the signatures I have and pass them on to my son in the hope that he will then pass them on to his soon to be born son :)

However, I shall treasure the signatures I have and pass them on to my son

I'm doing that too Old Saint - my Son Alex (who had a couple of rides at Oxford, Reading etc), will get about a Transit Van FULL of stuff when I go.

If he gives it to HIS Son - I will be delighted.

If he SELLS it on Ebay - I will come back and HAUNT him. :rolleyes:

D C

Edited by David Croucher