British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
robpeasley

1984 British Semi-Final at Oxford

With my mind very much on the Exide Championship Of Great Britain, which is being held at Oxford on Friday, my mind has been going back thinking of the last time we had a meeting of this magnitude at Oxford.

And I think it's the 1984 British Semi-Final, when the stadium was packed to the rafters, with Kenny Carter riding with a broken leg and finishing third despite falling in one race, Simon Wigg (who REALLY looked in pain) riding with a freshly broken collarbone and bravely scoring eight points, only for it to be only good enough for a reserve place (although Malcolm Simmons then withdrew from the British Final to give Wiggy a second chance, and he ended up as the only British rider in the 1984 World Final - if you discount reserve Alan Grahame).

The meeting at Oxford suffered from rain in its second half, with Neil Evitts winning after a run-off against Andy Grahame. I reckon the crowd was somewhere between 3500-5000, there were a LOT of bodies of the stadium that night.

Oxford's successful staging of this meeting led to an England v Denmark test match in 1985, and we then got given an England v Denmark AND an England v United States (the meeting where Wiggy was excluded for doing a wheelie!!) AND the Midland Riders' Championship in 1986!!

All the best

Rob

Edited by robpeasley