British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
spin king

Back Track issue 3

Does anybody know when issue 3 is due for release, also is there any plans to make it a monthly.

I was wondering that the other day Issues 1 & 2 was money well spent can't wait for the next one :approve:

i asked at kings lynn...was told it is this week

Nice one look forward to receiving it. (and Backtrack :P:lol: )

Nice one look forward to receiving it. (and Backtrack :P:lol: )

And just what do you mean by that? :rolleyes::D

Had to write that before it was edited and re-posted by anyone :wink:

Hello all!

Thanks for your interest in the next issue.

Issue 3 was completed last night and will be back from the printer's tomorrow (Friday), so I'm intending to deliver copies to Oxford first, All other tracks will receive their copies asap, certainly during the course of next week. All subscribers’ copies will be posted this weekend.

To whet your appetite...

Issue 3 of Backtrack - the new retro speedway magazine - is crammed full of the following...

EXCLUSIVE NEW INTERVIEWS

PETER COLLINS – Our 'Main Man' this time with a 6-pager (and that's just Part 1), talking to Brian Burford about his early racing days; partnering his great mate Chris Morton to 5-1s in heat 13 at Hyde Road; the agony and the ecstacy of his World Final nights; the 'Sugar in the Tank' episode at the British Final; why he believes the ref was right to exclude Kenny Carter at LA in ’82; and the long wait for his MBE and more.

Plus...what our top columnist JOHN BERRY REALLY thinks of PC (they didn't get on very well!).

JOE OWEN – talking candidly to Martin Neal about life before and after speedway; how he has coped with his disability, the psychological effects of his cruel 1985 crash at Birmingham that has left him in a wheelchair; and how he has now found true love the second time around. Joey has rebuilt his house himself and is an inspiration to us all.

MAJOR FEATURES

TOMMY JANSSON - 28 years after he was killed in Stockholm, we salute the super Swedish stylist who was adored at Wimbledon and beyond. We talk to Tommy's former girlfriend who still visits his grave. Read about the moment she had premenition that Tommy was in serious trouble. Darell Mason provides a brilliant insight into the late, great Swede who was tipped as a future World Champion.

PRIDE OF THE EAST - We look at King's Lynn's annual major individual meeting, the history behind this once prestige event and also recall all the other 'biggies' staged by BL & NL tracks in the 70s and 80s.

WHAT'S UP AT COVENTRY? - John Berry wonders if Coventry will ultimately go the same way as the old Belle Vue, and recalls the night he and his Ipswich riders had to take cover from 'hooligans' throwing missiles at them on the victory parade lap at Brandon.

SHAWN MORAN Q&A – 'Shooey' answers our quickfire questions about his time with Hull, Sheffield and Belle Vue.

CRUMP'S CROWNING GLORY - Looking back to 1972 when Jason's dad, Phil Crump, romped through the second division with mighty Crewe Kings and then capped a magnificent season by winning the league riders’ championship at Wimbledon.

HAPPINESS IS 40-38 – Reliving a classic National League match between title rivals Poole and Middlesbrough at Wimborne Road in June 1985.

BILLY HAMILL's 'NO BULL' BOOK - Why the American star was grateful to another former Heathen, Phil CoAnd also...

JACK MILLEN – Where are the great characters like 'Crazy Jack' today?

MIKE LANHAM – The unsung hero of the successful Ipswich team of the mid-70s.

BRIAN WHITE - The new Weymouth promoter on his days as a young fan of the Wizards/Wildcats and Poole in the 70s and 80s.

HALIFAX REUNION – Report and pics from the recent EX-Dukes get-together.

WHERE ARE THEY NOW? - Former Hackney, Rye House, Canterbury and Poole youngster Andy Fines gets in touch from Canada. Plus we talk to former BSPA manager Ann Gillespie.

BERRY BITES BACK! – Your questions answered, as only JB can!

1970 IN PICTURES – Alf Weedon's unique look back at the 1970 season, with evocative black & white photos of Young England and Peterborough teams, John Louis & Ron Bagley (Ipswich), Jimmy Ogisu (The Japanese who rode in the Internationale), Graeme Smith (Canterbury), Bernt Persson (Cradley) and Nigel Boocock (Coventry), Christer Lofqvist (West Ham) & Norman Hunter (Wolves), Barry Briggs (Swindon) and footballer David Webb, Sandor Levai (Newport), Ove Fundin & Bengt Jansson, Swedish World Team Cup winners, new World Champion Ivan Mauger.

----------

On sale now at the tracks for £3.00, or to subscribe phone 01708 379 079. Or go online at http://www.retro-speedway.com

Now I'd better get in touch with the man who runs this site to sort out some proper, PAID advertising before he bombs me out!

Cheers,

Tony Mac

Blimey!

Forgot to add that (for all you Scots) we've also got the concluding part of the Colin Caffrey story, recalling his days at Berwick and Glasgow.

Hope they'll still let me through at the border!

Tony Mac

Was looking forward to it anyway but especially now.Tommy Jansson was my first and probably only speedway hero.Obviously they are all heroes,but after his death i can`t say i ever had the same feelings for another rider.His family,as all who loose someone must have been devastated.

Anyway,thanks for a great mag,keep up the good work :D

Blimey!

Forgot to add that (for all you Scots) we've also got the concluding part of the Colin Caffrey story, recalling his days at Berwick and Glasgow.

Hope they'll still let me through at the border!

Tony Mac

Seems like a great publication for someone like me who lived in the Speedway age of the Eighties and Nineties and as not been to a meeting in oooh when did Long Eaton close again? LoL

Will be subscribing for sure.

Will you be doing a feature on LE at all?

Ashie,

Yes, of course, Long Eaton is just one of many sadly defunct tracks that will be covered in future issues of Backtrack.

It's obviously not possible to cover every club, past and present, in every issue, but we will soon get round to a decent piece on the former Invaders (or Archers, depending on your age!).

Tony Mac

Any chance about an article about Scunthorpe, by the way the magazine is brill. ;);)

Edited by spin king

Brought it again at Reading last night, showed it to a few people and another two who had not brought the first two issues went and got a copy. It certainly hits a note with the thirtysomethings....

Is the magazine going to be on sale at all the tracks....have seen it at Edinburgh but not at any other northern tracks