British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sean

Walthamstow Stadium

On Thursday, 3/4/03, i had the unlucky choice of visiting a stadium that only hosts that dreaded Sport that causes so many problems to our wonderful speedway. i had to go and watch Dogs running after a piece of rag that is supposed to look like a rabbit (sorry rabbit, no offence).

Think yourselves lucky you don't have rugby league where you are !

"NORBOLD BOOK OF LONDON SPEEDWAY HISTORY"

Thanks for all the plugs, Sean!

no problem...just don't stop writing these excellent books, and i won't stop publicising them

Actually the history of Romford speedway is in Speedway in the South East not the London book. But, as everyone has already told you, the speedway track was at Brooklands, not the greyhound track.

ah, maybe this is why it isn't in my so called "head of speedway knowledge", i have flicked through this publication after buying my "signed by the author" copy at High Beach, but haven't actually read any of it yet due to still trying to finish the "Speedway in East Anglia" publication that is part of an on going project that i have a hand in....

think there are two problems with Walthamstow, which have already been mentioned. One is its situation, very close to a residential area and secondly, the GRA see Walthamstow as the jewel in its doggie crown and don't want it messed up with speedway.

Still, as you say, we should never say never, because if we did, Wimbledon would never have come back, but I think it will be an uphill battle.

Have you thought about Yarmouth????

hmmmm...Yarmouth...hang on, thats at the back of the book i am currently reading, i'll answer this one when i get to that particular page, but the Author is such a Historian that he likes to give you so many details and information in his books that they are not easy to read quickly!!

who wrote this one......oh.... ok that explains why it has gripped me!

Hackney stadium in 1992 was owned by Brent-Walker who went <boxing brothers Billy & George> crash,and obviously sold on the stadium.

Walthamstow Stadium is owned by the Chandler Family,and in 2002 produced profits in excess of 1 million pounds.

I know for a fact Newton Abbott would wellcome a speedway team,has anyone in the country approached horse race tracks <maybe Leicester/Nottingham,Lingfield,Aintree, who have plenty of land,and would most likely wellcome the added income.

By the way guys i would not slag of the dogs to much,cause if it were not for the dogs i can think of a couple of tracks at least,and probably several,that would not be here.The current elite champions would be one,you must realise Speedway is NOT that profitable.

If anyone wants info on speedway dual dog tracks 1992 ownership ask as i am only to pleased to help.

I know for a fact Newton Abbott would wellcome a speedway team,has anyone in the country approached horse race tracks who have plenty of land,and would most likely wellcome the added income.

That's where I saw my first ever motorsport event (banger racing) when I was on holiday as a kid. It was that day which led to my interest in speedway and the rest as they say is history!

There must be someone out there who is prepared to give this a go - after all a welcoming landlord is half the battle won. I'd certainly be at the first meeting - give it a try someone, please!

Dog Tracks that may wellcome Speedway,Ayr,Bedwelty,Corbiewood,

Easington,Gretna,Highgate,Kinsley,Pelaw Grange,Swansea,Thornton,Valley,

Warwick,Westhougton,Wheatley Hill,Sunderland,Harlow,Henlow,Nottingham,

Stainforth,Swaffham.Excepting Sunderland and Nottingham these are for the most part small independantly owned tracks not making great money,

and should wellcome the income,and if you add the horse racing tracks the potential is quite large.

Ayr and Corbiewood have both been tentatively enquired (or is that inquired?) about in the last year or so and judged to be hostile.

Don't know what the reasons were at Ayr but Corbiewood was thought to face major objections from residents which is a bit of a joke considering they are newbies to the area and around quarter of a mile from the track. The existing folks of Bannockburn didn't want the houses so maybe they are getting revenge lol

Funnily enough its not that long since there was a nice quiet truckfest at Corbiewood......

Hope by horseracing tracks you don't mean round the outside :clown now THATS what I'd call a big track lol

Dog Tracks that may wellcome Speedway,Harlow,

No chance, Looked at this site back in 1999, they have no intention of having speedway, and never will, and besides Rye House is only 3.5 miles down the road...now that would be a local derby!

Henlow,

I have heard alot about there being an approach to use this stadium for the last 3/4 years, but haven't a clue who is behind it.

Nottingham,

wait and see what happens with Long Eaton beofre this is pursued

Swaffham.

Looked closely at Swaffham on our search for the Norwich site, there wasn't a dog track there, or not one i could see, unless it is under the stock car track now! certainly didn't see any kennels or starting traps, but then the whole place looks newly built.

Bedwelty,Easington,Highgate (not London!) Kinsley, Pelaw Grange,Stainforth, Thornton, Valley, Westhoughton, Wheatley Hill

give us a clue to where they are!!!!

Gretna, Swansea, Warwick,

Too far for me!!

Ayr, Corbiewood

North of the border!! outta my area! i'd have to speak to my friends for a "room for the night!"

you must realise Speedway is NOT that profitable.

Both speedway and the dogs go in cycles i can remember a time in the early 90s where speedway was keeping the dogs going at a few tracks. But the days of them and us are over, several stadia happily run both sports and there is no reason nowasays why the 2 cant co-exist anywhere. Indeed when running stadia these days, maximising the use is the name of the game, dogs, stocks, speedway and gokarts are all part of the mix.

Dekker i agree with the working together,and no them and us,we are in it together.

Sean,Bedwelty in Gwent,Valley is in Tredowen<Hengoed>both Wales,

Easington is Durham,Highgate is Rotheram,Kinsley is near Pontefract Yorks,Pelaw Grange is Durham <Chester lee street>,Stainforth is just north of Doncaster,Thornton is Fife Scotland,Westhougton is around Wigan,and Wheatley Hill is again Durham,also there may be Hartlepool last i heard the stadium was Derelict,and maybe ones for you would be Bury St

Edmunds,and Wisbech Do they still exist?,plus you have the place around

Northampton/Corby area that has the big Oval track any chance there?.

greyhoundp wrote:

Dog Tracks that may wellcome Speedway,Ayr,Bedwelty,Corbiewood,

Easington,Gretna,Highgate,Kinsley,Pelaw Grange,Swansea,Thornton,Valley,

Warwick,Westhougton,Wheatley Hill,Sunderland,Harlow,Henlow,Nottingham,

Stainforth,Swaffham.Excepting Sunderland and Nottingham these are for the most part small independantly owned tracks not making great money,

and should wellcome the income,and if you add the horse racing tracks the potential is quite large.

I was raised in Warwick, the only dog track was at the back of Pottertons, a right hovel as I recall.

Admittedly I have not been there for about 18 years, but I could see it all from my house.

Unless its changed drastically I can see several problems, The river flooding it being the first, our garden was regularly flooded, & the track was between our garden & the river, noise lots of housing nearby, I could hear the dogs from my bedroom & finally the place was a dump & unless it has been remarkably uprated it would need a shedload spent on it.

Still its a nice thougt, spent many a day as a kid dreaming about a speedway track around the inside & what a dilemma stay with Cov or support my home town team.......................

Just had another thought, what about my current abode, Chesterfield, the dog track is too residential, but there are loads of disused pit sites/industrial sites.

Any Chance?

I did not say they would be ideal for speedway <planning,facilities etc>

what i meant was they are not making millions,and would most probably

wellcome the added income from a speedway team,Warwick is not much worse than Stoke,and the river generally floods in the winter,i have not known it flood in the summer,However i dont think the planners would wellcome Speedway,to toffee nosed.

Thornton is Fife Scotland,

Not that far from me but I must admit I wasn't aware of a track there!

also there may be Hartlepool last i heard the stadium was Derelict,

I used to live about 100yards from the greyhound track at Hartlepool, the one beside the football ground. It was demolished a few years back and instead there is a retail park on the site now

I was raised in Warwick' date=' the only dog track was at the back of Pottertons, a right hovel as I recall. [/quote']

The carpets were reasonably priced though. :D

The river flooding it being the first

It's never stopped Coventry. (It's only a joke guys). :lol:

our garden was regularly flooded, & the track was between our garden & the river, noise lots of housing nearby, I could hear the dogs from my bedroom & finally the place was a dump & unless it has been remarkably uprated it would need a shedload spent on it.

Hope you weren't thinking of becoming an estate agent HG. ;-)