British Speedway Forum
JT

Championship of Great Britain

After reading reports that the recent British Final was a pretty boring affair, what can British Speedway do to make the Championship regain its former glory? :(

Run it on a Sunday afternoon at Coventry.

I suggest that the British Championship is run at the end of the season with automatic entry for the highest average British rider in every EL + PL team. The winner, and winners of all other countries domestic championships automatically go into the SGP next year to contest the world championship.

winners of all other countries domestic championships automatically go into the SGP next year to contest the world championship.

The trouble with this is some countries domestic championships are far stronger than others, a hell of a lot of riders would just become Hungarian or Austrian to have an easier ride into the GP's and it would become farcical! :unsure:

Yeah, Tony Atkin gets a chance as Newports top Brits, Simon Stead/Stoney lose out at Workington, as would Dean Barker. Thats not a clever idea.

The qualifying is not a problem, it's the way it's run and when it's run. Needs to be a sunny Sunday afternoon at Coventry. Sod the Polish League, this a National Championship that takes priority. Lets kids in for nothing, sell air horns at cost(no profit). Make it a carnival with speedway rather than speedway with a bit of other stuff added in.

Maybe getting a world class line up so getting some more good british riders would be a good idea lol

Run it on a Sunday afternoon at Coventry.

Hell they were good meetings - filled terraces, baking sunny days. British Final day was an event - it meant something. Top 6 or whatever through to the next round of World Championship qualification. Like it or not fans are only interested in events that mean something i.e the next stage on the road to entry into say the GPs. Just the title of being British Champion doesn't seem enough nowadays I'm afraid - not to the majority of supporters.

The qualifying is not a problem, it's the way it's run and when it's run.  Needs to be a sunny Sunday afternoon at Coventry.  Sod the Polish League, this a National Championship that takes priority.  Lets kids in for nothing, sell air horns at cost(no profit).  Make it a carnival with speedway rather than speedway with a bit of other stuff added in.

Well... blow me socks off and call me barnacle Bill.. sorry. SCB your are 100% spot on. Cracking post and you have hit the nail squarly on the head. All we seem to do is bow to pressure from other leagues. They dont give a stuff about us, so why should we give a stuff about them. Like you say... Sunday afternoon at Coventry and lets get it back to what it was intended for.. a way to qualify for the next stage of the World Championship. And your points about the kida and airhorns..also spot on. Way to go!!

Edited by tomcat

As far as the date and time are concerned would it not make sence for all the Europian National chamionships to be within a certain period and/or riders HAVE to be releaced for these matches, a bit like in Football and Rugby.

Also put it on Sky!!!!

Also put it on Sky!!!!

I don't agree at all. You put it on Sky and people stay at ghome and watch it, you don't put it on Sky and more people are likely to go and watch it live.

Also put it on Sky!!!!

I don't agree at all. You put it on Sky and people stay at ghome and watch it, you don't put it on Sky and more people are likely to go and watch it live.

and you have to put up with the drone of mr Tatum, maybe your right :)

Although SKY has helped put speedway back on the map, I think when it's on tv., a lot more tend to sit at home and watch it rather than travel and pay to get in. Although you dont get the same atmosphere you see the race from every angle and can get a cup of tea to your taste at home. :wink:

I have a friend who toyed with the idea of travelling to Wolves yesterday, instead it was on SKY so stayed at home and watched it instead.

Yes I could put up with listening to Sir Kelv during a meeting on tv whats wrong with him, he has lots of enthusiasm and a passion for the sport in general.

"CRIKEY" Shazzy.. your braver than I thought.. putting up with Lord kelv.. what a woman!! :P

Why not make the Championship Of Great Britain, a three or four round event at the start of the season?