British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
David Croucher

ALBY GOLDEN

I received a telephone call this morning with the sad news that Alby Golden has passed away yesterday (Sunday 18th).

Alby had been very unwell since Easter, and fought a brave battle against cancer in Hospital for the last few months.

He will be best remembered by former Saints fans as one of the Team that lifted the National League Title in 1962, but other fans across the country will remember Alby as an Eastbourne rider and Captain of Newport, where he took the Team, in 1964, to KO Cup glory in their first Season after Southampton had closed.

Alby was a quiet Gentleman, and a great Speedway Rider who was respected and admired by both the fans and his fellow Riders alike.

As a lifelong family friend, I will always consider it a privilege to have known Alby and my heart goes out to his devoted Wife Joan and the Golden Family.

Messages of sympathy may be sent to me at the address below, and I will make sure they get to the family.

# Name Removed #

PO Box 266

Southampton

SO40 3XW

As you say David, very sad news indeed. I was lucky enough to see Alby ride in years gone by and indeed it was a pleasure to see him at the Isle of Wight a couple of years ago. As you say, one of the sport's real gentlemen.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

Guest Fron Goch

That is sad news. Alby was in the Newport team when I went to my first ever speedway meeting way back in 1966, having recently looked back through my old autograph books he must have thought I was mad as there were over a dozen Alby autographs in one year's book but he always said hello, smiled and signed. I also had a pair of his tear off goggles which apparently I wore all day and night until they fell apart! Also remember the Newport fans singing "Alby is golden" to the song Silence is golden by (?) the Tremaloes?

Happy memories of when I was knee high to a grasshopper

Condolences to all his family.

Guest mart W

Sad news indeed, Alby was my first hero when my Dad took me to the old Somerton Park in 1964. My deepest sympathy to all his family. Alby will always be fondly remembered in Newport.

Such sad news, I too first saw Alby ride at Newport when I was a child. He was as you say a gentlemen and seemed to have a smile and would take time out to speak to anyone, regardless of how the evening had gone. One of a sadly vanishing breed. My deepest sympathy to his wife and his family.

I am saddened by the news of the passing of Alby. I am to young to have seen him ride but was lucky enough to have had several wonderful conversations with him at Poole last season. A true gent and a sad loss.

Our thoughts are with his family

Steve George and Laura Piper

May I add my condolences along with my brother Gareth of the passing of Alby --memories of Somerton Park and the Wasps led by Alby (remember the words of the Wasps song "Were led by Alby Golden and he's backed by six good boys" --Glory, Glory to the Black and Amber Boys etc!!.

As said in previous postings --a true gent who always had the time for a chat when we met. RIP Alby.

Very sad news. Alby was Mr Newport speedway for many years and was also known by non speedway people in Newport. The support he had the night he won the welsh open back in 1967 was unbelievable.

Condolences to Joan and family.

The funeral arrangements for Alby are as follows.

Tuesday 27th July at 12.00 noon.

St Mary the Virgin Church

Eling Hill

Totton

Southampton

SO40 9HF

Phone: 02380866426

The Church is approached from Totton via a Toll Bridge which is Free of Charge for those people visiting the Church.

It is a little difficult to find, so please refer to this Map for guidance.

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?cli...pe=&scale=50000

http://www.multimap.com/map/browse.cgi?cli...pe=&scale=10000

David.

To Dave # Name Removed #

Could you please contact me re details of Albys career.

Thanks

Richard

Edited by dickiemint

Guest Fron Goch
We're led by Alby Golden and he's backed by six good boys" --Glory, Glory to the Black and Amber Boys etc!!.

I'd forgotten that just started singing again, it ended - "Glory glory Alby Golden and his soul goes marching on!"

Indeed it does - I'll never forget him :):)

I have just received an Email saying a minutes silence was observed at Newport Speedway on Sunday 25th July prior to the staging of the CL Meeting between the Mavericks and Oxford.

On behalf of Alby's many friends and followers, may I say a sincere thank you to the person who arranged for this to be done.

I will make sure the family are informed of this respectful and thoughtful gesture.

David.

Edited by David Croucher

We're led by Alby Golden and he's backed by six good boys" --Glory, Glory to the Black and Amber Boys etc!!.

I'd forgotten that just started singing again, it ended - "Glory glory Alby Golden and his soul goes marching on!"

Indeed it does - I'll never forget him :):)

What a wonderful tribute :approve: