British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
sandman

Soldier Boy

I remember the good old boy.

I remember on the way home from the 1981 World Final we stopped at the services somewhere between London and the Midlands and he was there, the place was full of jubilant Cradley and loads of other speedway fans and he was winding them all up.

The thing was no one seemed to know anything about him, he just appeared mouthing off, never wore colours or showed any affiliation with a particular club although i remember him as a Belle Vue/Peter Collins Fan.

He was a bit of a mystery to me.

Yeah, and he had a real ruddy, red complexion. Was just wondering if he was still alive. Great one certainly for stirring things up. I am sure PC knows where he is? :)

If he was hanging with Middlo he's probably lying somewhere with a bottle of JD (not John Davis.... although..... )

Hope he's not his hair may turn green hey Honey pmsl ;)

The guy was a prat! That fact that his claim to fame was winding fans up, well it doesn't say much does it? His speedway or indeed geographical knowledge wasn't up to much either, I remember him going about the SWINTON robins. Well of course Swinton is in the north and not in Wiltshire. Finally, in the early 70's I was a young teenager. After a match at Monmore I was in the bar with some friends, although obviously not drinking. He was in there and I must have replied to something he said. He then aggressively grabbed me by the throat! Luckily Tom Leadbitter was also in there and he got him off me, and told him to leave the kids alone! A character yes, but from my viewpoint, not a particularly welcome one.

Obviously you said something that made him mad........ If I remember Tom L. he was a mountain of a man? Big fella with mutton chop sideburns? Soldier Boy was a bit of a prat for sure, but you answered a question of mine as I never knew if he was serious..And I ,... like you, dont care for anyone who treated me bad when I was a nipper,... I too never forgot.. The ones who pushed me off, dont like em to this day...... :)

I think I'll re phrase my opening line from good old boy after reading the last couple of posts, no excuse for that kind of nonsense.

I actually have Soldier Boy's autograph!

I remember him at the Shay and he was always very vocal against Kenny Carter when he got chance.  But fair play to Kenny Carter he used to come over to him and talk to him totally unfazed by his abuse.

When I asked him for his autograph he was taken back and said "you know I'm not a rider right?"  I'll see if I can find it.

• Like 1

Seems strange reading sandman's posts again after all these years, he was one of the forum's real characters. He just seemed to fade off the forum. Anybody know if he still posts ? My old brain tries to tell me he was living in the Caribbean on a boat ! 

I recall reading some years ago that he won the lottery?

3 minutes ago, steve roberts said:

Well done sandman, I trust he's enjoying it.  I did win £30 on Saturday, doubt that'll help get me to the Caribbean though ;)

• Like 1

On 4/8/2003 at 7:44 PM, Midnight_Lady said:

Why was he called Soldier Boy :?:

I remember he used to wear khaki. Last saw him when he 'adopted' Neil Evitts (1986?)

Edited by steve roberts

I think I met him once on the London tube. At least some guy said he was him, and I wouldn’t have a clue. But not the sort of person someone goes around imitating

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2020 at 3:00 AM, steve roberts said:

That reminds me of the joke" Man comes home and says to his wife "What would you do if I won the lottery?"" She answers "I'd take half and leave you!!" He says ""Well I just won $100-here's fifty bucks now f**k off". Sorry Steve but when I read your post I just couldn't resist it !! Keep smilin' and keep well all during this weird time.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1