British Speedway Forum

Hi, this is Bernard Crapper (apologies for using a friends log-in details)

There has in the past been speculation about some details regarding the Benevolent Fund so I am posting the information below so you are all fully informed of what the Benevolent Fund stands for.

This is a copy of the message I posted earlier in the season, but I understand some may have missed reading it and thought it would be useful to reiterate.

I am appointed by the British Speedway Promoters Assoc. as their representative and the Speedway Control Bureau (formerly Board) as the Treasurer/Secretary of the Speedway Riders' Benevolent Fund.

The Speedway Riders' Benevolent Fund was created in 1949 under a Deed of Trust to aid current riders and their dependants and others (including paraplegics) who are injured during speedway racing and covers tracks within England, Wales and Scotland.

The Speedway Riders' Benevolent Fund's registered office is at ACU House, Wood Street, Rugby, Warwickshire CV21 2YX. Telephone number: 01788 560 648. Fax: 01788 546 785 and is registered with the Charities Commission - number 208733. The Ben fund is controlled by four trustees as required by law and the current trustees are Mr. Tony Noel, Chairman (ACU) Mr. Brian Bonney, (ACU) Mr. Chris Van Straaten, Chairman (BSPA) and Mr. Alec Harkness (Promoter). As mentioned above, I am Secretary/Treasurer). Our Chartered Accountants are Messrs Limehouse and Company of Rugby.

The aim of the Ben Fund is to assist injured riders, etc and their dependants. Funds for this are collected in various ways: Firstly all tracks must hold a compulsory collection once per season and in addition collections are made at special meetings (six special meetings being the maximum allowed collections wise). On average we collect annually between twelve and sixteen thousand pounds from track collections. We also have invested money which we rely heavily on the interest to keep the fund bouyant. In addition we have donations from companies and other trust funds etc.

It is normal on the past years payments to riders and paraplegics to award payments of monies ranging between £34,000 and £39,000 annually. This is why all donations (other than track collections) are very welcome and indeed essential to keep the fund bouyant and sustain the amount of help we can offer.

The Government Deed of Gift Scheme is one way of persons pledging support to our charity and if you would like a form to enable you to support the Benevolent Fund in this way, please apply to myself, Bernard Crapper of 5 Farm Road, Abingdon, Oxfordshire OX14 1NE or telephone me on 01235 524 756. There will be a further method for persons returning self assessment forms which will be in operation in 2005 (watch this space for details).

I apologise if you have not been fully informed in the past when your track is holding a collection of what the collection is in aid of, as all tracks are supposed to print details in their programmes informing you of both the details and workings of the Ben Fund.

We give long term sustained support to paraplegics. Also any ex riders can apply to the trustees for help. In the past we have helped with education fees where a rider has died leaving dependants, IVF treatment for paraplegics wives (with successful results), wheelchairs, home modications, refurbishments and many other requests with life changing results. The Ben Fund should not however be confused or considered to be an insurance as we are governed by the Charities Commission and we must adhere to their rules and regulations.

As a footnote I am saddened to read on the Charities Commission website that our records are overdue when they are in fact completely up to date and have been consistently, with the 2003 accounts being given to them shortly, once they have passed their official audit (commencing at present).

I hope this has cleared up any misunderstanding or concern regarding use of the Ben Fund and would ask you please to give generously when you see any of the collectors on the terracing and if your circumstances allow, consider our Deed of Gift Scheme, for which our charity would receive 27% returned tax which you pay for each £1.00 submitted to us as a donation. The only proviso is that you must be a taxpayer of the United Kingdom.

Whilst I have the opportunity, I would like to sincerely thank everybody at tracks who donate to the collection regularly and generously and also to my loyal band of collectors who travel around the country helping out at collections when and where possible.

Kind Regards,

Bernard Crapper

Many thanks for posting Bernard even if a little female in name :wink:

Can you tell me what ever happened to the Credit Card that was available about 5 years where a donation went to the SRBV on acceptance had an application for it but lost it I know it was through the Bank of Scotland and just wondered if it is still available. Honey and I did look at Stoneleigh a couple of years ago but all they had was the FIM one which I didn't think was the same thing.

Many thanks xxx

ooooooooooo just another quick one sorry :oops: I did try and buy one of the t-shirts that the collectors had on at Oxford but the gent wouldn't part with it, is there any merchandise available to boost funds?

Edited by shazzybird

I did try and buy one of the t-shirts that the collectors had on at Oxford but the gent wouldn't part with it,

The poor sod was wearing it!!!! :rolleyes::D

Is that why people were throwing tee-shirts at us all night - that clears up that mystery then :D

Can you tell me what ever happened to the Credit Card that was available about 5 years where a donation went to the SRBV on acceptance had an application for it but lost it I know it was through the Bank of Scotland and just wondered if it is still available. 

Ive got one of those Shazzy and you are indeed correct-It is a credit card done through The bank of Scotland--Ring them up and ask about affiliate cards and they should be able to sort you out if they still issue them.

However the money donated to the fund is miniscule compared to what you spend and I believe was actually based on a time period-ie if the card was used the first time and then if it was used within a year and then after 18 months--or something like that.

**I have just phoned the Bank of Scotland and they do still issue them and the phone no to request an application form for one is 01189556304

Dont say Im not good to you Shazzy** B) and when you phone them just quote my name and they will be more than happy for you to clear my account for me :P

Edited by Nevsy

Hi Shazzybird, was just going to say that I would ask BC and let you know, but Nevsy has been a star with some of it, so I'll just confirm about the ben fund merchandise. I know he got the tee shirts especially made for the collectors (and the hats) but am sure he would happily get more made if there is a demand for them, but may have to be a slightly different colour so that the collectors still stand out! :rolleyes:

Guest cheetahhawk

Shazzybird, a few years ago I bought a SRBF badge,I think it was at a Brighton Bonanza collectors fair , but I haven't seen them on sale since. Maybe that is an idea that could bring in some money to the Fund as I know a lot of people like to collect badges.

CH

I collected for the benevolent fund (as you know :) ) - but there weren't any T shirts available for us -

How did you get yours?

See you soon B)

Bernard: Any chance that you might know if there's another collection at Swindon before the end of the season?

If not then all my copper-collecting and heavy-jar-lugging has been wasted! :(

T_shirts.......... ig they do start merchandise I'll have one or two, pleased to see they will be in a different colour and didn't really like the yello but it's all for a good cause.

Have spoken to BC today who said that he will be talking with the Trustees of the Ben Fund tomorrow and will enquire about getting merchandise in to raise funds. Apparently they did have badges etc but sadly they didn't sell very well at all. Being a charity they do have to be careful about selling products, but he'll let me know tomorrow what they say.

Guest Steve Dixon

Would have thought t- shirts would go down ok with fans? I know i'd buy one. :D

Why not sell it over the net to us forumers? You know that you're likely to get a lot of people buying as forumers are the most dedicated supporters :P (aside from those who don't have computers)

I know forum rules state "no advertising", but this is for the SRBF, not for personal gain, surely Phil wouldn't mind?

We had the chance a while ago to buy merchandise advertising the forum, if it's not too expensive why not do a joint venture, advertising the pair of them that way the foum gets advertising as much as the SRBF?