British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Ashley

speedway(the cost)

Guest Ashley

what are the costs like when you begin speedway, what are the prices for stuff like:

helmet,

goggles,

bike,

protection,

race suit,

boots-where can you buy them from

how much would all this cost???

please help

Edited by Ashley

about £2500 would get you set up with all the right type of stuff, laydown, kevlars, spares helmets etc, let me know if you need anything, superbart@tiscali.co.uk

Guest Ashley

thanks superbart

what kind of stuff do you have, i would be interested in buying stuff from you thanks........

Ashley

Unless you are in a desperate hurry it might pay you to wait until the end of the season when all the riders will be selling gear. You can get much of the stuff second hand, a pair of kevlars will be somewhere around £200, boots and shoe £70 - £100. You will probably have to buy the rest new. Armour is £70 upwards, gloves £25, goggles £25 plus knee pads etc. You must get a new helmet at anything from £120 to £300. Sam's first bike was a laydown 897 that cost £700 and was plenty good enough to start on. You would expect to pay from that to £1400 - £1800 for a bike that will be good enough to get you into the Conference league. A good place to start might be Wizzer on here, he generally has stuff to sell at sensible money.

Also don't forget you need transport and if you really give it a go the mileage you travel will be one of your major expenses.

Edited by Vince

Guest Ashley

isnt there a way of me getting it cheaper eg,ebay...

if i wanted to to to the sheffield practise track, do you have to put a deposit on the gear and a bike if i hire one, or can you buy stuff cheaply at places like the reading and sheffield practise tracks..........

;) thanks

Guest kevtay

how can you get in contact with whizzer then? has he got a website?

put a 'trying to contact Wizzer' post up and he will probably see it pretty soon.

Forget the cost. Get yourself to Sheffield or one of the tracks that provide equipment and have a go first. The cost is peanuts for the day and at the end you will have a better idea if you want to spend the time and money.

It is just not about equipment, that is a partial issue if everyone holds their hands up. The time is a consuming element which has not been mentioned and it costs money.

Peter Boast is well reccomended by many riders. I believe Tom Madsen, Ian Barney and Ricky Scarboro are instructors. His school has been features in many Bike mags and he gets most people sliding (of sorts) within the day. Look in last months Fast Bikes Magazine.

helmet, new wulfsort helmet as used by many riders prem and elite £60

goggles, new smith goggles £16

bike, anything from £1000 up to £2000 second hand, depends how good you want the bike

protection, new wulfsport full top under suit body armour £60

new wulfsport knee pads £16

race suit, new wulfsport suit £95 or second hand kevlar suits £150 - £200

boots-where can you buy them from, second hand approx £50 plus a steel shoe.

how much would all this cost???

i would say you could get a bike, stand , dirt deflector, fuel oil, all protective clothing, licence, sprokets and maybe a few spares for £2000

if you are 100% intersested e.mail me and i will try and advise you the best i can

phillip.morris@ntlworld.com

cheers phil

The cost depends whether you get things second hand or brand new.

125cc bikes (second hand) you can get for about £500 or over!

You can get brand new helmets from wulfsport for about £50 +

You can get second hand kevlars from about £50 + but it depends which rider you get them from and the quality of the kevlars.

The cheapest body armor is £50 or £60 but thats only for the top half of your body a full suit would cost alot more.

Goggles cost about £20.If they are roll offs they cost a bit more than that!

Gloves cost about the same as goggles but it depends on the make.

Hope this helps

:):rolleyes::D;)

Guest Ashley

Thank you so much for your help,

You have helped me a lot, but if i was to ask some riders for some second hand gear,(im a swindon fan) would it be better for me to ask a rider like leigh Adams or a sproket rider like chris johnson.

Thanks

Ashley :lol:

Guest Christophers Dad
The cost depends whether you get things second hand or brand new.

125cc bikes (second hand) you can get for about £500 or over!

I agree with you completely but a Tomcat suggests on an other thread you wont pay more than £300 -£400 so obviously he is better informed than the pair of us.

Ashley if you are a Swindon fan come up and have a chat, sometimes me and Chris will be up to use the little track but i do believe im not welcome from someone i heard today described as a "Proffesional Second Halfer" and when a gentleman such as Michael Lee has taken an interest in Chris i rest my case :D:D:D