British Speedway Forum
Middlo

Jimmy Squibb R.I.P.

Jimmy Squibb RIP.

Great servant and enthusiast of speedway. Never a world beater but the sort of bread and butter, good team man of which speedway in this country relys on.

Amazing to think he was still racing in the 2nd Division in the early seventies when he was in his 50's!

Guest clivehitch

Remember he was the last ever rider to cross the finishing line at New X 41 years ago.Was almost unbeatable there.

Both statements are quite true, Clive. He was the last to cross the line and almost unbeatable. However, to have finished last in the last race shows he was beatable some times...unless he deliberately came last with an eye to history? It was only a scratch race after all, no team points depended on it.

Guest clivehitch

What happened to the rest of the Rangers,where are they now?

Bob Dugard is down Eastbourne way, Split Waterman is in Spain, Eric Williams and Tommy Sweetman are in New Zealand, Jimmy Gooch is somewhere is deepest Essex as is Stan Stevens.

I remember Jimmy racing in the Student's Charities meeting at Old Meadowbank the year before PL speedway opened in 1960.

The passing of Jimmy Squibb is very sad, as is the recent death of Cliff Cox, which doesn't seem to be mentioned on the forum. Most of the Exeter side of the early sixties are now no longer with us. Apart from Jimmy and Cliff, Chris Julian and Chris Blewitt passed away fairly recently and Eric Howe, and Pete Lansdale a couple of years ago. That team, led by Len Silver, cut quite a distinctive look, all wearing green and white shirts and white boots, bit of a forerunner to the present team suits.

I've just discovered that I once met Jimmy Squibb! In the 1960s and 70s I used to keep a more or less daily diary. These diaries have been up in my loft for at least 20 years. Today, whilst putting yet more things away up there, I discovered my box of diaries and thought I'd have a quick look. And there on Wednesday May 5th 1965 is the following entry:

"In the White Hart [a pub near Hackney Stadium - I had been to a play rehearsal. I was a bit of a thespian in those days!] having a drink with John [my friend] when in trooped Norman Hunter, Alan Cowland, Colin Gooddy, Pete Lansdale and Jimmy Squibb. We chatted a bit and I asked Norman who won [Hackney had been racing that night]. He said 'I don't know.' Alan Cowland said 'Hackney won and Gerry Jackson got the lot.'"

I had forgotten all about this meeting! But it's nice to know I did once meet and talk to Jim. :)

I also remember Jim Squibb from the Southampton days, and in fact bought a Lotus Cortina from him in around 1971, that had belonged to Son Barry, who was rallying at that time.

As you say Norman, lovely memories of people who seemed to be such amazing characters when we were younger.

He had been a friend of Bert's since the Ashton Combine days in 1947, and a number of local lads all started their Speedway Careers at around the same time, which included Jimmy Squibb, Bert # Name Removed # and Bob Oakley.

This is an extract from a Southern Echo sports page from the middle of the 1947 Season.

SOUTHAMPTON 51 - EASTBOURNE 33

All the Saints were on their toes for this important meeting, and the splendid riding of Jim Squibb (12 Points - Max)

Peter Robinson (11) and Bert # Name Removed # (9), were the features of a thrilling evenings Sport.

Jim Squibb was the Star of the Match. He scored a sensational victory in Heat 3 when,

after lying second to Wally Green (Eastbourne) for the last 2 laps, he cut inside his opponent on the last bend and won by a wheel.

His other three successes were also won by sheer determination and clever riding, and certainly deserved the applause given by the large crowd.

Lovely gentleman and a great Speedway Rider.

D C

1971, that had belonged to Son Barry, who was rallying at that time.

Barry was still doing rallycross in 1992 I met him at Lydden Circuit with my Dad :approve: