British Speedway Forum
f-s-p

Bye bye Ullevi & the Olympic stadion

from http://www.sr.se/radiosporten/nyheter/arti...?artikel=466651

"Speedway: Nya svenska GP-arenor

De två svenska arenor som haft GP-tävlingar de senaste säsongerna, Stockholm Stadion och Ullevi är inte aktuella längre.

De engelska arrangörerna har ledsnat på banornas regnkänslighet och söker nya.

Båda arenorna är regnkänsliga. Ullevi fick ställa in förra året då banorna inte höll för regnvädret dagarna innan och i år fick träningen före tävlingsdagen ställas in - också den gången var ett regn boven.

De engelska arrangörerna Benfield sports BSI, chansar inte en gång till med Ullevi och på Stadion ska man dessutom lägga om löparbanorna.

Cardiff, Köpenhamn och Hamar, andra icke permanenta speedwaybanor, har tak som skydd och därför söker BSI nu redan färdiga speedwaybanor i Sverige som klarar ett ev regn bättre.

Avesta motorstadion ligger mycket bra till – Masarnas hemmarena har ju varit GP-värd förr, 2003 då strejken satte stopp för tävlingar på Stadion. Och där jobbar man nu hårt för att få ett bli en permanent GP-arena.

Planer finns för att förbättra arenan ytterligare – mycket gjordes till GP-tävlingen 2003. Nu väntar man bara på ett positivt svar från de engelska arrangörerna.

En annan arena i Sverige som kan bli aktuell, med stor publikkapacitet, närhet till flygplats och god hotellkapacitet, är Eskilstunas nybyggda stadion."

Basically it says that due to the fact that these venues have no roof, and a temp track is vulnerable to hard rain, they are thinking/decided to move the GP's to permanent track's. Eskilstuna and Avesta are likely to stage these meetings next year.

Thats great news.

More chance of riders like Gollob & Loram who don't like the temp tracks having a good season next year (if they are in it that is)

Guest Mrs Adams

Hopefully Avesta then Ryan can win it again :lol:

Remember Sulli, if it is Avesta, thats Leigh's home track in Sweden. He'll be tough to beat! :D

This news has positive and negative aspects surrounding it. Starting with the positive as it has been said they are better tracks and provide better racing and are no doubt far cheaper however for a company promosing to raise the profile of Speedway GP by staging meetings at the big stadiums surely this is a step backwards? :unsure:

I was told the day after the Stockholm GP that it was the last one there because they are having a new running track installed and won't allow a speedway track to be built on it.

Running at Avesta etc though is a backwards step for BSI.

I also think staging two GP's in Sweden is too much, Grand Prixs are hardly cheap these days and looking at the crowd at Ullevi people are staying away. :rolleyes:

In my opinion the perfect GP season would look something like this in a few years time:

GP of Norway - Hamar Viking Ship Stadium

GP of Sweden - ????

GP of Poland - Slaski Stadium (I know it failed last time but again they staged two GP's in one country (hardly the wealthiest country either) with tickets at high prices, in my opinion marketed well the national stadium would be perfect for speedway with Poland having the biggest fan base)

GP of Denmark - Copenhagen

GP of France - Stad De France (Ambitious I know but this was a venue BSI were talking about a few years ago and stages Moto X meetings in front of large crowds)

GP of Asia! – One of the World Cup Football Stadiums (Asian countries go mad for things if they like them and this could if marketed well launch speedway on the world scale)

GP of USA - ? (Penhall was talking about promoting a meeting in the US, like a breakthrough in Asia this would launch speedway as a major world sport!)

GP of Monaco – Monaco Football Stadium – (Wild I know but another BSI idea, hold the GP near the F1 weekend!)

GP of Great Britain - Millennium Stadium ( Obvious why and also if made the last round would hopefully reap the benefits of success in Asia, USA and Europe and fill the stadium up for the ultimate climax!)

9 rounds that could change the speedway world!

Edited by JT

I think it's a cost cutting thing.Couldn't see Sweden carrying on with 2 GP's either for too long,same as Poland.When they only get 8,000 for a GP and some league matches are getting 15,000,it's not sustainable.Seems like Bydgoszcz have got themselves in enough financial trouble.As for a GP in Norway is that secure for the future?. Can't see any of the other choices taking off,maybe France for a while.Personally i think in a few years they will be hard pushed to get 6 Countries/GP's

I think there will be 2 GP's in Sweden and Poland in the future. Cant remember the population of Denmark at the moment, but speedway is very big in Denmark (you should have seen the setup of some of the U16 riders in the EC recently), but not big enough to support two meetings. Some countries have to stage two meetings.

It is though in Sweden and Poland, and the reason for this years low number of spectators, is the f##kup with the Ullevi track last year. So harder work next year...

Basically it says that due to the fact that these venues have no roof, and a temp track is vulnerable to hard rain, they are thinking/decided to move the GP's to permanent track's. Eskilstuna and Avesta are likely to stage these meetings next year.

Nothing to do with the cost of hiring such venues and the crowds numbers reduced from last year !?!?!!

The track at avesta is good but the rest of the place is not for attracting sponsors.

Nothing to do with the cost of hiring such venues and the crowds numbers reduced from last year !?!?!!

My sources in Sweden suggest that there are 3 tracks in the running, those mentioned above, plus Mallila. The reason for the changes are that the Stockholm stadium will be unavailable to speedway in the future due to the soon to be installed running track (as mentioned by Rob). The Gothenburg situation is that the only suitable free dates are in late August early Seoptember, when Sweden is susceptible to rain. Given there experience of last year, and this, it was decided that this was a no go situation, and that the meeting must be held on a permanent track, with proven drainage capabilities.

The reason for the changes are that the Stockholm stadium will be unavailable to speedway in the future due to the soon to be installed running track

Not to mention the poor crowds there!

and that the meeting must be held on a permanent track, with proven drainage capabilities.

Which is no doubt cheaper as well.