British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

ANDERS MICHANEK - BIG exclusive!

I'm delighted to announce that Anders Michanek has agreed to be our main Front Cover Man for issue 4 of Backtrack Magazine.

In another major coup for Backtrack, the former Swedish superstar and 1974 World Champion has confirmed today that we are welcome to visit his home to get his exclusive views on his racing career.

And as well as looking back on his time at Newcastle and Reading (not forgetting brief spells with Ipswich and Cradley Heath), we'll also be taking exclusive pictures of Anders to go with the feature.

As it won't be possible to meet up with Anders on his tiny Swedish island until this coming Saturday, it means issue 4 will be delayed by a few days.

But we hope you will consider the slight delay to be worthwhile, especially as we're talking here about one of the sport's undisputed greats.

Many of you will have fond memories of Anders and his time in the UK, so why not email us your views or memories of him direct to our email address - editorial@retro-speedway.com - or post your comments here. We could perhaps use some of the best comments alongside the interview itself...

Many thanks

Tony Mac

Guest OxfordSilverMachineTasha

So would it be out on friday at oxford? could buy it for my dad.

Oh my giddy aunt, there'll be someone in this house well chuffed with that news, you oughta see the huge "Woolies" poster of Anders we have up in our bedroom as evidence!

It would be interesting to get his perspective on the 1973 KO Cup race with Peter Collins to see how the two compare.

Excuse the French, but this is f****** brilliant news. :D:D:D

What an excellent magazine you are all producing.

Edited by AndyP

Oops! . . . and not forgetting Long Eaton and Leicester, where Anders did, of course, begin his BL career in 1967-68!

Tony Mac

michanek was good to be sure.. but.. could you ask him why he always wore those funny goggles? kind of a trademark of his...sort of like the ones rommel wore in north africa.. just curious.. :)

Guest Steve Dixon
It would be interesting to get his perspective on the 1973 KO Cup race with Peter Collins to see how the two compare.

Ive got him on video somewhere giving his view, i think its one of the PC tapes that came out, he says he never touched him,'well not much anyhow' are the words i remember, funny.

Personally i would be interested to hear his opinion of Tommy Jansson,as a follow on from the previous article.Don't think i have seen anything from Tommy's contempories on how good they thought he was

Having only just discovered backtrack I managed to pick up copies 2&3 from Ipswich last night and will be getting 1&4 next week. As a 27 year old who has been going to Ipswich since 1981 it really is like stepping back into my childhood. Although I didn’t go to speedway in the 70’s it is still a great eye opener on the sport and I can track a lot of my favourite riders from the 80’s and their early days in the sport.

Great stuff, keep up the good work.

Pete

Happy memories of Anders in his only season with Newcastle in 1970.

this was Newcastle's last breath before 1975, Mike Parker had left, and

Ole Olsen also. Ian Hoskins gave it his best, but even with George

Hunter, the magic had gone, the license was going down the road to

Reading.

Can anyone confirm my albeit shaky memory? I'm sure Anders was

close to, if not getting an 11.00 point average.

Anders is a piece of the Jigsaw missing from my site www.newcastlespeedwayhistory.co.uk

Tony Mac and I recently exchanged emails and as a "thank you" to me displaying a Backtrack ad on my site he is gonna send me a couple of pics of Newcastle's only top line Swede for my site.

Mr Michanek could have become a BIG BIG named Diamond if only we hadn't done one of our frequent closing down acts. He may have still been ours when he won the title

Backtrack is an excellent mag lets hope it is around for many years to come and if you like history and old photos etc come on and have a look at this!

www.newcastlespeedwayhistory.co.uk Just click on the History of Speedway On Tyneside link at the bottom of this post

Edited by dantodan

Having now met Anders at his Swedish home yesterday for the big Backtrack interview, I can only confirm what a great guy he is. A supreme gentleman who seemed genuinely flattered that British supporters should even still remember him, let alone rate him so highly.

He was remarkably candid and much of what he said will amaze readers. His modesty is admirable and I'm sure you will all find his story very entertaining.

To sum up just what a good natured bloke he is, Anders donated a personally signed original Swedish international racejacket that we are going to put up as a prize for our readers to try and win...

Anders has kept a racejacket (at least one) from each of his BL clubs, as well as many others he wore in international and open meetings.

The issue goes to print on Tuesday and will be distributed to the tracks at the end of the week. Subscribers will hopefully receive their copy next weekend, or next Monday at the latest (Royal Mail permitting!).

Jack of Diamonds - Anders' final CMA for Newcastle in 1970 was 10.89 from 28 BL matches.

Dantodan - pics hopefully with you tomorrow . . . and many thanks for the great-looking ad on your excellent site!

Cheers,

Tony Mac

Nice to met Tony Mac at Reading last night.

Having picked up a copy of the new edition of the magazine, I have to say the articles on Anders Michanek are superb!!

The bits I've read so far I have to say Anders comes over as really laid back, and was certainly not a prima-dona.

To read that he never wanted to retain his world title in 1975 is incredible, and how he frowned upon the ref for letting him have good starts at Reading one night after the same ref excluded him at Wembley (v Peter Collins) in 1973 is amazing.

In an age we currently live in where everyone seems to be quite happy to cheat, Anders is a breath of fresh air.

He's even more of a hero now than he already was.

Well done to all concerned for a great magazine!!

It was great for Susie and I to meet so many nice people, and to be so warmly welcomed, at Reading last night and to see how well Backtrack has been received.

Special thanks to Pat Bliss, Bob Radford and Andy P for helping us to promote Backtrack and raise awareness of it.

I just hope the error in our production department (where a type font defaulted and automatically erased all the apostrophes in the Anders interview - arrgh, bloody technology!) hasn't spoiled it for anyone.

Cheers,

Tony Mac

Edited by tmc