British Speedway Forum
Phil

Do you think we should keep the Grading System?

Do you think we should keep the Grading System?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think we should keep the Grading System?

• Yes
    • No

A Grading System has been used in the EL this year instead of the traditional points limits. There were a number of different reasons floated about why this system was implemented.

Some promoters have said it has been great success. I am not quite sure if they are financial reasons or better distribution of number 1 riders especially with two new teams moving up to the EL or for other reason?

So what do you think of the Grading System in the EL and should it be kept for the next season?

Discuss and Vote....

I think the grading system is good in that it makes sure top riders are evenyly distributed amongst all the teams, which of course will be even more important if as rumoured two more teams move up this winter.

However I would like to see some modifications, so tnat once the season starts and teams are struggling that they can least do something about it. There should never be a repeat of what's happened this season with Coventry - this season has almost put them out of business.

We could go with a low points limit e.g. 42 as an alternative, but in the past teams have held on to top riders and just released second-strings. This would not encourage teams to move up.

Edited by Liesdale

Difficult one this. I think it was a good thing at the start of the season in terms of team building. The top riders were distributed around and there were very close matches across the board.

The problems came when teams wanted to change - Coventry being the obvious case. Maybe once the first change of average date is reached then a points limit could be set for team changes from that date on. I know that is just further complications to rules, but it isn't one that really effects supporters and, in particular, newcomers.

All this makes it difficult to know which was to vote, but, once I've read the quation carefully, I'll vote to keep it because I suppose that is what I'd be doing.

Whats wrong with a lower points limit? 42ish?

How to share out the top riders? Well all grading does is say you can only have one grade 5 or 6 rider, so why not just say only one rider with an average over 8.50?

Points work better than grades with one exception, the minimum average is 4.50!

Well all grading does is say you can only have one grade 5 or 6 rider, so why not just say only one rider with an average over 8.50?

I think many of the grading rules this season were simply to accommodate the new teams coming up. The grading system also disguised the fact that a very low points limit was effectively being operated. As a result, unless the league increases in size again, changes will definitely have to be made to the system for next season, simply because of average inflation.

However, I think the fact that the BEL GSAs no longer include bonus points is a clue that the league may revert to straightforward points limit next season.