British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
shazzybird

Canterbury Crusaders

Was with my Dad yesterday morning and we were chatting about speedway in the 70's as we do :!: Found out that Dad was introduced to speedway by being a mechanic for Tyburn Gallows , when Tyburn had a serious accident JH found dad a job as Starting Marshall @ Kingsmead. Dad worked for Invicta Motors at the time, who JH approached to purchase a tractor for the track, Invictas (being a local firm on the Sturry Road) lent a tractor each week for track grading (If ever the tractor broke down Dad being a mechanic @ the time, was the one called out to go and fix it :!: ) anyone who had an interest in speedway was given the opportunity to go and help with the track preparation, interest slowly dwindled off but two people remained keen, my Dad and "Uncle" Paddy Patterson who became JH's Trackman eventually becoming Clerk of the Course. After a number of years doing the start, Dad went into the pits as Machine Examiner & Pit Marshall, One memory of this is when Dad had to strip the bike of Mark Courtney after he had won the Under 21 Final @ Kingsmead, which he did so in front of the stand for fans to watch and answer questions regarding the mechanics of the bike. Happy Days :lol:

A good story there Shazzy. :approve:

Do you remember the night Barney beat Peter Collins in the British Under 21 Championship, although PC went on to win the meeting?

Not sure how old you think I am Kevin :evil: but Barney being under 21 would make me a tad young to remember the meeting ;) , although my dad might remember it!

come on Shazz, don't be shy.... you were selling programmes that night weren't you?? ;)

ok let's see how old we were then Honey :oops: what year was this meeting Kev :?:

Jim

think it might be best if you took a break from the forum.

i have posted some crap on these pages over the months but still haven't got around to calling people what you have called them, whether they deserve it or not.

there are some bloody good people on this forum and they don't need bringing down one by one.

you are an artist and it might be best if you channel your emotions into that for a while.

there are people on the forum that have been going to speedway for a short time and others that have been going many years, that's what is good about the site...the full range of views and opinions.

when people get abusive to an extent it causes upset, then it upsets the forum as a whole.

and on that note this topic is locked at least for the time being.

Lets chill out a bit folks