British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
SCB

Norweigan GP wildcards

But isn't that the point? It's the British Grand Prix - not the Welsh one. If Forland and Sola are considered by the Norwegians to be the best of their bunch, then presumably Louis and Norris were given the same consideration by the British authorities. If it was a Welsh GP then yep I'd agree with you, Wizzer should be in there!

So you agree that in the Scandinavian GP that the wrong riders were sued as they onyl used Swedes and didn't consider other nations. In much the same way the European GP used to be Poles not Europeans.

Guest richtea78

SCB - I have to say that Norris was a good choice as he was statistically the best Brit at the time while Loius was purely a fop to the fans and a reward for all the brown nosing he does on Sky. Who would I have given it to - the next highest Brit in the averages - even if that was a Welshman :blink: But it wasnt - if it was Id be glad to see him there but it should be the best 2 local riders.

the Scandinavian and European GPs arent really national events in the way that the Swedish and Polish are so Im not too sure about them. The European could be given to the top 2 from the European Champs and the Scandinavian I have no idea - Under 21 winners maybe.

Oh and I agree with the Norwegian wild cards in principal as they are the host nations best 2 riders but that doesnt mean I think they will get anywhere.

Edited by richtea78

But that isn't really fair on Americans/Australians not being given any chance of a wild card. Why not sudden sam and billy h for the wildcards? :D Can't think of any good aussies that aren't in the series at the moment, maybe Adam Shields.

Edited by Silver Cheetah

I watched a video yesterday, where Förland took a couple of heat wins, needed to win his last one but became second, so missing the grand final. The meeting was the Ullevi Open, back in 1987... :sad:

I think one WC should have gone to Joonas like it did last year. If Sola really is some youngster on his way up, fine, but this other one is just :angry: !!

Personally, I don't think they should have any wild cards. The Grand Prix should be made up of the best riders around not 22 of them and a couple stuck in each meeting who can't actually win the thing.

Of course, putting in local wild cards may be a purely commercial decision, but,as has been said above, it's very doubtful that the inlcusion of Dave Norris and Chris Louis brought in any extra fans at Cardiff. I expect the same goes for GPs held in Poland, Sweden and Denmark. Maybe in the smaller countries like Norway it helps, but I guess, even there, it is doubtful.

There should be a proper qualification system and if you make it to the Grand Prix, great, if you don't, try again next year.

Guest Len Dusatenna
Hallelujah!

Thanks Salty :)

Surely the Eastbourne fans would be there to see Nicki Pedersen too, where as the Reading fans would go along to support Phil too.

For the record, I beleive the wild card should ALWAYS be the best rider available, where ever he is from (Oz, US, GB, Sweden etc etc.....) but BSI seem to think it's a commercial thing, UNTIL it comes to Cardiff and they ove rlook Phil.  If they were consistent and always went for the best riders I'd say ok.  I'm sure more Welsh companies as wella s fans would be intrested in comming along and supporting the event if there was a Welshman in it.

Does anyone honestly believe that David Norris (I doubt anyone shouted more for the guy that me this year BTW.  Ask Jill, she had the ear ache to prove it!) and Chris Louis brought in any EXTRA Brits or English(wo)men?  Do you think however if they had the posters up in Cardiff advertising Phil Morris as being in the meeting and that he is Wales number 1, people would be intrested?  I'm actually being serious here, not just trying to wind people up as I am on the Mark Loram/GP 2005 thread.

You could have a valid point. However for the last GP this season it would have been nice to give one wild card to Sudden Sam.

Edited by Len Dusatenna

So you agree that in the Scandinavian GP that the wrong riders were sued as they onyl used Swedes and didn't consider other nations.  In much the same way the European GP used to be Poles not Europeans.

Do you know for a fact that they didn't consider other nationalities for the wildcard slots in the European and Scandinavian GPs?

They may have considered them and decided that the best options just happened to be from the home nation.

In the past Lee Richardsson was given a WC in the Euro GP in Poland and Bjarne Pedersen a WC in the Scandinavian GP in Sweden.

I definitely think that BSI should be stepping in and rejecting Forland as a pick for Norway though.

Apologies to Mr Sola and Forland. They did well.

Have to agree with SCB. They certainly did better than most people expected.

Yep, they both beat Mark Loram and did better then other wild cards this year.

Wales seems to be an independant state, so we want independed wild cards. Looks like Wales' top rider Phil Morris should be wild card next season.