British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 4 OUT NOW!

Issue 4 is out now and is crammed with the following...

Exclusive new interviews:

ANDERS MICHANEK - we visit the 1974 World Champion at his Swedish home for our BIG exclusive. The former Reading No.1 talks very candidly about his life and times in speedway, including his memories of that great night in Gothenburg when he won the crown. Read why Anders says he was a "useless" World Champion and why he didn't want to retain his title at Wembley the following year. Read, too, what he really thinks of his main rivals from the 70s, Ivan Mauger and Ole Olsen, plus he relives those epic run-offs against Peter Collins. What did the referee for the ’73 Daily Mirror tournament final at Wembley say to 'Mitch' at Reading two nights later that so angered the usually laid-back Super-Swede? What was the one incident of his career that Anders still very much regrets? All these questions, and many more, are answered in issue 4.

We've also got exclusive pics of Anders, 61, as he is now, with his wife Anki, on the Swedish island where they live today.

WIN!....ORIGINAL RACEJACKET SIGNED BY ANDERS!

And, how about this . . . the chance to win an original Swedish international racejacket personally signed by Anders Michanek! 'Mitch' donated this especially for a Backtrack reader to win, so here's your chance to own a piece of superb speedway memorabilia. Full details in the mag.

Our star columnist, JOHN BERRY, also offers a fascinating personal insight of 'Mitch'. JB was the last promoter to sign the Swede, at Ipswich in 1979.

PETER COLLINS - we are back with Part 2 of our brilliant exclusive with PC. This time the 1976 World Champion looks back at the second half of his glittering career, at the injury that left its scars and still affects him today. Peter points the finger of blame at the people he believes were responsible. PC also talks honestly about his time in management at Belle Vue and why a difference of opinion with promoter John Perrin led him to quit the Aces for the last time.

BERT HARKINS – Bertola reflects on his colourful career, especially his early days in Scotland, riding for Wembley and Wimbledon. Find out which former team-mate once threatened to 'keel him'.

LES RUMSEY - one of the National League's biggest stars in the 70s and 80s, Les looks back at his title-winning days with Canterbury and reveals the night he and two team-mates drove round Kingsmead in their cars!

NORMAN HUNTER - he was a World Team Cup winner and BL star until serious injury all but ended his hopes of world stardom. Norman looks back at his star-studded days with West Ham, Wolves and Swindon.

DINGLE BROWN - one of the second division's great characters turns back the clock to review his days at Rayleigh and Scunthorpe. And he reveals that he might never have ridden for either track if fate hadn't been very kind to him in 1970.

Main features:

EASTBOURNE'S 'KAMIKAZE KIDS' - as the Sussex track celebrates its 75th year, we reflect on the period in the early 70s when the high-flying Eagles first made their impact.

BOB KILBY - despite ill health, the former Swindon, Exeter and Oxford No.1 is battling on. We pay tribute to one of the fastest starters BL racing has ever seen.

MINI MARVELS - John Berry takes a closer look at the small riders who had big hearts and plenty of points in them.

JOHN DAVIS - a personal view of how JD captivated the Czech crowds and went on to win the country's most coveted speedway title.

NELSON-T0-BRADFORD - Richard Bott looks at a Yorkshire phenomenon, when Bradford attracted big crowds to see second division racing at Odsal after the switch from defunct Nelson.

HAPPINESS IS 40-38 - this time we re-play Long Eaton's win at Peterborough, a key victory for the Invaders on their way to the NL title.

NORTHERN LIGHTS - profiles of two riders who made their mark in north-east second division circles - BRIAN HAVELOCK and ANDY MELDRUM.

BERRY BITES BACK – JB answers more of your questions.

1973 IN PICTURES - Looking back through the lens of Alf Weedon.

Got my copy this morning, thumbed through it to the feature on Les Rumsey and there staring me in the face two pics of Unc. Many thanks for the magazine it's lovely to re-live all those old days.

Will leave to pick the kids up from school earlier today and sit outside and have a good read all the way through, this is my favourite time of the month when I receive my BACKTRACK magazine Keep it coming it's "Simply The Best" Thank you :approve:

Backtrack mag is just what i needed !!

I love all the old nostalgia stuff, most of it i can relate to, although i ducked out of the sport when our track closed here in Leicester during the early 80's. I rejoined at the beginning of this season ( now following the Cov Bee's) and considder myself as a true born again fan, cant get enough !! .

Any chance of some more Leicester Lions features, particularly of the Ray Wilson/John Boulger era ???

Im still thumbing through the first 4 issues and still finding stuff to read, love all the old action pics too.

Keep it up, looking forward to next issue. :D

Bought it at Ippo last night  :approve:  Not had a chance to read it yet but I'm sure it'll be as good as the first three.  :)

And even better if there's a pic of Zenon Plech in there, aye LW :wink: . So what's this new signature all about then?

LW

Re signature

Not true -

What ever - can not be true :)

Bought it at Ippo last night  :approve:  Not had a chance to read it yet but I'm sure it'll be as good as the first three.  :)

And even better if there's a pic of Zenon Plech in there, aye LW :wink: . So what's this new signature all about then?

Piccy of Zenon in this weeks Speedway Star. Hmm...thought men were supposed to improve with age. :sad:

Signature's been deleted, I was having a bad day. :cry:

Piccy of Zenon in this weeks Speedway Star. Hmm...thought men were supposed to improve with age. :sad:

Signature's been deleted, I was having a bad day. :cry:

now me an a few friends have been debatin the topic of age, and we reckon we have it figured out.... as people age... men get character; an women get men with character.. man... i had to edit again...

Edited by sandman

Zenon Plech hmmmmm remember fondly the day he put his leathers into the washing machine and wondered why it was bouncing all over the kitchen ;-) Needless to say he never did it again as he had to buy new ones after that!