Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Peter

Eurosport secure highlights deal

I found the following on www.crash.net :-

-----------------------------------------

Eurosport, the #1 Pan European sports channel, has agreed a two year deal with Benfield Sports International to broadcast the FIM Speedway Grand Prix and World Cup events.

The landmark deal guarantees the broadcast of world championship Speedway to Eurosport's unique network. Although the coverage won't be live, a one hour highlights programme will be transmitted one week after each of the nine SGP rounds early on a Saturday evening and all five events of the world team championship SWC will also be broadcast by the network.

"This is fantastic news for the Series," said John Postlethwaite, Chief Executive, Benfield Sports International [bSI]. "It supplements our strong network of broadcasters transmitting the Series in northern and eastern Europe. Eurosport is very strong in Germany and this is one of the markets we are looking at for the Series in 2004.

"It's a huge network that delivers all of the top quality sports programmes around the world and we are delighted they have added speedway to their impressive portfolio.

"The one hour programme will be produced for BSI by BHP and will be a high quality production including the latest on screen graphics, special features and exclusive pit interviews, it will not simply be a cut down version of the live event."

Vincent Chupin, Director of Acquisitions, Eurosport, commented: "We have noted with interest the progress speedway has made in recent years under the guidance of Benfield Sports International and are delighted to have reached agreement with BSI for coverage of both the FIM Speedway Grand Prix Series and the FIM Speedway World Cup.

"Eurosport is in the unique position of being able to further develop the sport in its strong markets while also being able to help establish speedway in some of the non-traditional territories."

Sky Sports will continue to show live Speedway GP action in the UK.

--------------------------------------

Does this mean the end for speedway highlights on Channel 4? If so, it's bad news for those that don't have Sky or Cable TV.

That's good news indeed.

Eurosport always used to show Speedway and I could watch that a number of years ago without having to pay for Sky Sports.

I hope Channel Four will continue to show their hour long highlights programme as well. The more, the merrier! :D

I hope they don't have Jack Burnicle as the commentator. He is a lot worse than Tony Millard! In the World Superbikes once, Jack was talking about Colin Edwards's tyres, when he said: "Colin had a hard on in practice earlier, and I bet he wished he had a hard on now." :lol: