British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

BEST SPEEDWAY BOOK EVER

i think mine might've arrived this morning but i guess i'll find out when i get home (our posties are a right lazy shower up here!).

was a wee bit worried cos i ordered it online and it said something about "we'll be in contact soon" but i heard nothing. then i got my visa bill on thurs / fri and it mentioned "football promotions" or whoever - thought my dad had been ordering more coaching manuals :rolleyes:

look forward to reading it though :)

The football link on my credit card bill got me too, then I remebered seeing the same thing when I subscribed to Backtrack.

The Football link was more importantly noticed by my better half (joint a/c you see) who wanted to know what I had spent 15 quid on to do with Football. Whereas £15 spent on Speedway is classed as acceptable.

From recent postings, I guess I should just clear up any possible misunderstandings among you, although I'm sure most of you have already worked it out anyway.

The parent company that produces Backtrack Mag and Confessions of a Speedway Promoter book (both published under the Retro Speedway banner) is called Football World. This is the name our bank knows us by, hence the name appears on all our credit/debit card transactions.

As well as the speedway publications, our (very) small publishing company also provides editorial content for and publishes other magazines and books relating to...you've guessed it...football!

Ah, but I like speedway best! Much nicer people!

Seriously, if anyone has a query of this nature, or in connection with delivery of Backtrack or speedway books, please contact us direct on 01708 379 079 or email subs@retro-speedway.com.

Thanks.

Tony Mac

Ordered my book Thursday afternoon and it had arrived by Saturday morning....excellent service, just got to get round to reading it now.

I would dearly love to say how good this book is, but it dropped on the mat, my better half picked it up and said thats one of your xmas presents and took it and hid it! oh well role on xmas day! :D

Mine arrived in the suburbs of Brisbane on Friday.

Just a few pages in, its looking good.

Have spent most of today reading.

Highly recommended - unless you are very easily offended. Remarkably candid. I was always a great fan of JB (and Ipswich from that era) but he was clearly not a man to suffer fools gladly. He is fairly uncomplimentary to a whole string of referees, most promoters and many riders (Peter Collins included). :o

I found his comments about John Cook (my favourite all-time rider) and his throwing of the 1985 cup final unsettling. :unsure:

I won't tell you how it ends ;)

Edited by arnieg

In case you haven't heard, John Berry is paying a flying return visit from his Australian home this week and will be signing copies of his brilliant new book, CONFESSIONS OF A SPEEDWAY PROMOTER, at the Brighton Bonanza meeting next Sunday (12th).

So why not pop along to the Backtrack stand at Brighton to meet JB for a quick chat and to get your book signed? Even if you have already purchased your copy of 'Confessions' elsewhere, John will still be very happy to sign it for you, dog-earned or not!

For Ipswich fans, or those living in the Suffolk area who perhaps can't make it to Brighton, John will also be signing his book at the following outlets on Saturday (11th):

Orwell Motorcycles, Ranelagh Road (including special guest appearances by John Louis, Jeremy Doncaster and possibly Tony Davey) - 10am-12noon.

Ipswich Tourist Information Centre, St Stephen's Church, St. Stephen's Lane (12.30pm)

WH Smith & Son, Ipswich town centre (from 2.15pm).

See you there!

Just to say 'thanks' to everyone who bought a signed copy from JB, either at Brighton yesterday or at one of the three signings at Ipswich on Saturday. It was great to meet so many Backtrack readers and forum members at Brighton.

There is still time to order 'Confessions' in time for Xmas. We will guarantee delivery in time for Xmas on all orders received before this Thursday evening (Dec 16).

Just give us a call on our credit card hotline - 01708 379 079. If you phone outside normal office hours, just leave your phone number and we'll get back to you asap. Many thanks.

Tony Mac

Did anyone see that 'Confessions' got a good, positive mention in Saturday's issue of The Guardian newspaper - in the column reviewing best sports books of the year?

When was the last time a speedway book got such credability?

Have you ordered yet? It really is the best speedway book ever written - even The Guardian say so! - and the way sales are going a re-print may soon be on the cards...

I ordered my book ................. AT LAST and subscribed to Backtrack the other day. Can't wait to receive both!!! :D

I got the book today and cant put it down-had to tear myself away from it to come onto the PC!!!

And as soon as me mate can make contact over the phone with Tony(couldnt the past week) I will have a belated subscription to Backtrack as well :)

Been a good xmas :):)

What a great read! Couldn't put it down after starting on the Boxing Day. Having been a speedway fan for only 4 years now, it has certainly helped fill in a few blanks regarding the sports history and legendary riders. As any good book should, it does raise many points of discussion. Tell me people, did J Cook throw that Cup Final? Do you agree that T Davey was better than J Louis, or in fact could have been one of the best ever?

Even when Berry is, so called, putting the boot in on people you can tell he is holding his tongue (or pen in this case) and does want to say that little bit more!!

Could have been more forthright but there is such a thing as libel, as Mr. Berry does point out.

Highly recommended :)

Tell me people, did J Cook throw that Cup Final?  Do you agree that T Davey was better than J Louis, or in fact could have been one of the best ever?

I was standing on the fourth bend right where it happened. Cook and Doncaster needed a 5-1 in the final heat of the second leg to win the cup 78-77 on aggregate. For 3/4 quarters of a lap they had it. Then coming out of the fourth bend Cook (on the inside) appeared to nudge Donkey pushing him towards the fence and letting the Oxford pairing thru for the minor places.

Was it deliberate or a racing accident? - hard to judge .

And not withstanding this Cook was the most entrtaining rider I've ever seen