British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Grachan

Portsmouth Speedway

Sometimes it is hard because the person you want to speak to won't speak to you! I'm not saying this is the case with Reg, but I know from (bitter) experience that some former riders are more forthcoming than others. No names!

I will speak to Terry later, unfortunately he is I understand not too well at the mo, but the footage is there to see, I think the rider concerned was lauir Gilfoyle (or something like that) and yep noise complaints had it closed down.

There are pics of programme covers for Portsmouth Copnor & Portsmouth Tipnor in the Old Programme Gallery of the speedwayswapshop site .

click here

Sometimes it is hard because the person you want to speak to won't speak to you! I'm not saying this is the case with Reg, but I know from (bitter) experience that some former riders are more forthcoming than others. No names!

I don't doubt you on that Norbold ,but we are talking Reg "Golden Boots" Luckhurst here.One of the friendliest riders ever to shoot shale in my eye,not speak to someone :o Sloppy journalism in my opinion.Bet Shazzy's uncle could have filled the bloke in on the track if he couldn't get Reg.

Unfortunately this seems to be par for the course with a lot of these books.Basically to write a history of a club all you need is the last programme from the season mention a few important scores and who was transfered and you've got a book.Which was why i am waiting for your history of Wembley as i am expecting something a bit more.Seems like i've got a while yet though :(

Thanks for that cyclone.

That's a great site.

And...as you posted while I was writing, iris...It looks as though the Wembley book might be a bit nearer than I originally thought. Watch this space!

Edited by norbold

There are pics of programme covers for Portsmouth Copnor & Portsmouth Tipnor in the Old Programme Gallery of the speedwayswapshop site .

click here

Having looked at that site and seen the address Target Road, Tipnor meant I could look it up on Streetmap.co.uk. That's definitely the stadium I saw.

Thanks for that cyclone.

That's a great site.

And...as you posted while I was writing, iris...It looks as though the Wembley book might be a bit nearer than I originally thought. Watch this space!

Well I have lots of old pics and progs if interested? and I definitely want a copyof the book.

All this talk of Colchester Speedway, are people not confusing it with Chelmsford?

The Guilfoyles opened a training track on their farm at Little Waltham, Montpelier Farm which is on the Chelmsford to Braintree road. It is mentioned in the "Homes Of British Speedway" book.

Johnny Guilfoyle is a former West Ham and Rayleigh rider and Rye House promoter, while his son Laurie rode for Hackney and Rayleigh. The book states that they were brothers, which is incorrect.

One of them!

Anyway, Portsmouth has had three tracks.

The first was opened at Chalton in 1928 and ran for the grand total of two meetings.

The second, the Wessex Stadium, opened in 1929 by Wessex Speedway co. in conjunction with Dirt Track Speedways Ltd., the company behind West Ham and Southampton. It was a 440 yard unbanked track. Some top names like Frank Arthur, Bluey Wilkinson, Sprouts Elder and Phil Bishop appeared in open meetings. The track was said to be very bumpy and over the winter a new 382 yard track was laid. Portsmouth formed its own team, which included Steve Langton and Phil 'Tiger' Hart (later to ride for Eastbourne, Birmingham and Hackney amongst others) and raced challenge matches. The track closed at the end of 1930.

In 1935, Tom Bradbury-Pratt, the promoter at Harringay opened another track at the Greyhound Stadium. Harringay raced a league match against Hackney there and a week later a challenge match between Wembley and Wimbledon was due to be held but was rained off. There were no further meetings at the stadium until 1937 when the Albatross Motorcycle Club promoted two matches against Basingstoke and Reading.

Two attempts were made to re-introduce speedway just after the War but came to nothing and then again in 1977, when locals collected a 1,300 signature petition and the GRA agreed, but the local council turned down planning permission (where have I heard that before?).

As far as I know there has never been speedway in Colchester...and I think I would know!

Now read the book! ;)

It has taken me nearly 4 years to reply to this post ( is that a record on the BSF one wonders?) but as the thread is still on line I thought "Well why not. Im bored, browsing the web and got something to contribute for once!"

Portsmouth had a track in the mid 30's ( but apparently had closed by 1937) at the Copnor Greyhound track situated between where Stride Avenue and Langstone Road now stand - I think a council housing estate.

There was also a purpose built Grasstrack circuit at 'Wymering Racecourse' just north of the city at Farlington near Portsdown Hill. The first meeting was held in May 1928.

Footage of these two stadia still exist and I would put it on line if I knew how to transfer video to computer ...... but I don't. If anyone is interested in seeing the footage then first find someone who has the video ( might now be on DVD?) 'Bygone Portsmouth' made by 'Bygone Films' 5 Low Road, Conisbrough, Doncaster. DN12 3AB tell 01709 869777 the video was published in 1995 so if the company are still in business then they most likely have a website now. Then find someone who knows how to get it transfered on to here so we all can see as - I'm too thick to do it!!

Edited by nightrider

One of them!

Anyway, Portsmouth has had three tracks.

The first was opened at Chalton in 1928 and ran for the grand total of two meetings.

The second, the Wessex Stadium, opened in 1929 by Wessex Speedway co. in conjunction with Dirt Track Speedways Ltd., the company behind West Ham and Southampton. It was a 440 yard unbanked track. Some top names like Frank Arthur, Bluey Wilkinson, Sprouts Elder and Phil Bishop appeared in open meetings. The track was said to be very bumpy and over the winter a new 382 yard track was laid. Portsmouth formed its own team, which included Steve Langton and Phil 'Tiger' Hart (later to ride for Eastbourne, Birmingham and Hackney amongst others) and raced challenge matches. The track closed at the end of 1930.

In 1935, Tom Bradbury-Pratt, the promoter at Harringay opened another track at the Greyhound Stadium. Harringay raced a league match against Hackney there and a week later a challenge match between Wembley and Wimbledon was due to be held but was rained off. There were no further meetings at the stadium until 1937 when the Albatross Motorcycle Club promoted two matches against Basingstoke and Reading.

Two attempts were made to re-introduce speedway just after the War but came to nothing and then again in 1977, when locals collected a 1,300 signature petition and the GRA agreed, but the local council turned down planning permission (where have I heard that before?).

As far as I know there has never been speedway in Colchester...and I think I would know!

Now read the book! ;)

norbold,

you cease to amaze me......

norbold,

you cease to amaze me......

Is that right? :blink: