British Speedway Forum
stevehone

Lionel Crossley

just wondering if anyone on here has info on Lionel Crossley (he rode for Crystal Palace)

i used to know Lionel when he was timekeeper at Wimbledon in the 80s and thought he was one of the nicest and most genuine people i have ever met in the sport. i hadn't seen him since Wimbledon closed in 91 and have often thought about what he was up to after that.

i know Lionel has passed away but does anyone know if he is buried and where?

just wondering if anyone on here has info on Lionel Crossley (he rode for Crystal Palace)

i used to know Lionel when he was timekeeper at Wimbledon in the 80s and thought he was one of the nicest and most genuine people i have ever met in the sport.  i hadn't seen him since Wimbledon closed in 91 and have often thought about what he was up to after that.

i know Lionel has passed away but does anyone know if he is buried and where?

I used to also know him and his son, but haven't the son for years.

Guest Nostalgic

I sure I am right in saying that dear Lionel died several years ago. If I am mistaken please forgive me. There are of course fewer and fewer pre war riders alive these days. It sixty-five years since the start of WW11 so the remaining pre war riders must be in there late seventies early eighties, quite amazing really. My childhood hero's are near if not oap's, quite amazing really!

i know Lionel has definately passed away, i was just after info as to what he did after Wimbledon closed and if anyone knew where he is buried

i know Lionel has definately passed away, i was just after info as to what he did after Wimbledon closed and if anyone knew where he is buried

This is rather a belated reply as I just came across the Forum today.

As well as being Wimbledon timekeeper Lionel was referee and guiding spirit to youngsters at the Iwade training track. My wife used to go to meetings there with him and she eventually became the announcer.

Lionel used to come to us for Christmas dinner and his son Ray came with him on ocasion.

Lionel passed away in 2002. My wife went to the crematorium service. We lost touch with Ray after that.

i used to work with lionel in the refs box at wimbledon. my job was to operate the track lights and update the electronic scoreboards at each end of the stadium. i enjoyed listening to his stories about speedway at the crystal palace. :)

i used to work with lionel in the refs box at wimbledon. my job was to operate the track lights and update the electronic scoreboards at each end of the stadium. i enjoyed listening to his stories about speedway at the crystal palace. :)

You should have recorded his memories for posterity. Did he fill the refs box with his pipe smoke? It was quite a pungent tobacco that he smoked.We had to open the windows after he visited us.

Did you work at the Dog meetings as well? I used to work with Bill Marchant who was the the timekeeper for the GRA.

You should have recorded his memories for posterity. Did he fill the refs box with his pipe smoke? It was quite a pungent tobacco that he smoked.We had to open the windows after he visited us.

Did you work at the Dog meetings as well? I used to work with Bill Marchant who was the the timekeeper for the GRA.

i worked for the GRA for 22 years. i was based at wimbledon but also worked at the other GRA london tracks. i was involved in both the speedway and greyhound racing.

i worked for the GRA for 22 years. i was based at wimbledon but also worked at the other GRA london tracks. i was involved in both the speedway and greyhound racing.

Lionel Crossley wrote a history book about the Crystal Palace speedway and midget car racing days of the 1930s?

Lionel Crossley wrote a history book about the Crystal Palace speedway and midget car racing days of the 1930s?

indeed he did john, i have it in my collection of speedway books.

He gave us a copy of his book.

When I mentioned Bill Marchant he was on reflection the photo finish operator at Wimbledon.

Lionel was involved with Iwade as long ago as 1976 - and possibly before. He used to write the times the riders at the practise sessions on a blackboard with chalk. I dont recall him ever mentioning having been a rider.

steve

Lionel was involved with Iwade as long ago as 1976 - and possibly before. He used to write the times the riders at the practise sessions on a blackboard with chalk. I dont recall him ever mentioning having been a rider.

steve

Lionel was a modest man but he did ride in the early meetings at Crystal Palace in 1928 and 1929.