British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Phil Crump

Guest BilaHora

All

I only ever saw Phil Crump ride once. It was in a open meeting at Brough Park, Newcastle, during 1984 and, if I remember correctly, he even won the meeting.

If I had one question to ask Mr Crump it would be: "How did you manage to suppress what must have been an overwhelming urge to take young Jason over your knee and give him a spanking during those early tantrums in the Grand Prix series?"

Regards

BilaHora

"How did you manage to suppress what must have been an overwhelming urge to take young Jason over your knee and give him a spanking"

hmmm ... isn't that what wives are for?

Many thanks for all your valued contributions and pointers. Have to say Phil was absolutrely great - a really nice bloke who, considering he is not known as a big public talker, welcomed me into his home to give some great insights into his brilliant career and the people who helped influence it.

Obviously you'll have to read the full, in-depth interview in issue 5 when it's out in mid-Nov, but to summarise, he spoke openly and honestly about a great variety of issues, including:

*His early days on the family farm in Mildura.

*His BL days with Crewe, King's Lynn, Newport, Bristol & Swindon.

*The Neil Street Jawa conversion and 4-valve revolution.

*Those ultra-tough Aussie Finals.

*His relationship with Billy Sanders, and the reason why he believes they fell out.

*The Exeter track.

*The trick to winning at Somerton Park, Newport.

*His worst track in Britain.

*Winning the 1976 World Team Cup at White City after KO-ing England at Ipswich.

*The effect breaking his thigh at Sheffield in 1977 had on him.

*World Championship regrets and what he thought he lacked to win the big one.

*How he exploited the use of Nitro fuel additive to go faster for Crewe and in Oz.

*Names the best rider of his era - and it ain't Mauger, Olsen, PC or Mitch!

*Why it was a mistake to return to Swindon.

*His early doubts about Jason.

*The difference between him and Jason.

*How helping Jason came at a price.

*What he expects from his GP-winning son next year.

.. and then there's more...

Like Anders Michanek did for the previous use, Crumpie kindly signed some pics of himself, which we'll be framing up and offering as a prize for one lucky Backtrack reader.

Anyone not yet subscribed.....?

Tony Mac

TMC, i filled my online subscription in on Sunday, i've not heard anything back yet to confirm it's worked ok

Edited by frigbo

TMC, i filled my online subscription in on Sunday, i've not heard anything back yet to confirm it's worked ok

Thanks for subscribing. If you email me your full name and address, I'll check it out.

We don't confirm receipt of subs by email - perhaps we should in future?

Cheers,

Tony Mac

All's well, edition 4 arrived this morning.

I think a sub confirmation e-mail would be a good idea.

Cheers!! :D

Got my copy this morning too, its a good magazine and brought back many happy memories. I remember Crumpie at Bristol very well, and must admit he is one of the best riders Ive ever seen.