Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Hot Shoe

Speedways Motocrossers

Thanks Jim :D

Not really on thread,but i did read recently that an ex-Reading Racer (think it was P.Wurtele,if he is married to Gerd Riss's sister)has a son and daughter doing quite well in junior Moto X,here in Germany.Typical me though,can't find the article now :(

His name was Vic Allan, Greeves teamate of Arthurs, along with Bryan (Wild) Wade. In fact Greeves had several 'works' riders for a small concern.

Best move on cos I am wandering off course now. But great memories all the same.

Colin..  :)

Didn't Brian Wade win the 125, 250 and 500 British Moto X titles on Husqvarnas all in one season?

I used to see the great Vic Allan regularly when he rode for Comerfords of Thames Ditton on one of their Bultacos when they were the UK importers.

Happy days indeed!

Didn't Brian Wade win the 125, 250 and 500 British Moto X titles on Husqvarnas all in one season?

I used to see the great Vic Allan regularly when he rode for Comerfords of Thames Ditton on one of their Bultacos when they were the UK importers.

Happy days indeed!

I seem to remember Wadey winning the British Campionships maybe early 70's but can't be sure, cos I had found Speedway by then. :)

I remember the Winter TV meetings from Tweesledown racecourse, watching the likes of my boyhood hero Badger Goss. Vic Allan, Eastwood John Banks, Ken Heanes, Keith Hickman etc etc :)

Sorry it is not Speedway related, but very fond memories non the less :)

Colin :)

Sorry it is not Speedway related, but very fond memories non the less :)

I loved Tweesledown. Great technical track with some excellent racing. I once had a throttle cable break at Tweeseldown and had to pop down to Ken Heanes shop and get a new one :cry:

Colin, If we just mention the word Speedway in every post we might not get chucked off the forum for being off topic :D

Edited by Hot Shoe

I loved Tweesledown. Great technical track with some excellent racing. I once had a throttle cable break at Tweeseldown and had to pop down to Ken Heanes shop and get a new one :cry:

Colin, If we just mention the word Speedway in every post we might not get chucked off the forum for being off topic :D

Where have all these events/tracks gone? Tweseldown was very sandy and twisty if I remember correctly. Ken Heanes always had well turned out machinery, remember going to the Fox & Hounds circuit by Newbury when the ISDT team were testing out there machinery Cheney Triumphs I think gorgeous bikes but not as good as the JAWA's (tenuous speedwy link) of the day :)

So many brilliant scrambles tracks at that time, Farliegh Castle, Matchams Park ( I can still see Dave Bickers laughing his wotsits off after his frame snapped at Matchams during the Good Friday International one year.

So many good tracks graced by so many brilliant riders who quite frankly raced for a pittance in them days, riders of all abilities good and indifferent provided brilliant racing that I was priveledged to witness on a great many occcasions.

Where have all these events/tracks gone? Tweseldown was very sandy and twisty if I remember correctly. Ken Heanes always had well turned out machinery, remember going to the Fox & Hounds circuit by Newbury when the ISDT team were testing out there machinery Cheney Triumphs I think gorgeous bikes but not as good as the JAWA's (tenuous speedwy link) of the day :)

Yes, Tweseldown was twisty, bumpy and sandy. The Fox and Hounds, Beenham Park, Pirbright (remember the 100 mile Scramble?), Ladies Mile Petersfield, East Meon (?) and the track where they held the Kaj Bornebush meeting with that scary big hill there were some great circuits.

I used to go to the Welsh Two Day Trial (Enduro) and remember Dave Jeremiah on his Jawa, Arthur Browning and those Cheney Triumphs and the incredible speed they got up to on those welsh tracks. Amazing!

And have you noticed that todays Moto X bikes don't slide? (an even more tenuous speedway link!).

And have you noticed that todays Moto X bikes don't slide? (an even more tenuous speedway link!).

Think they spend to much time in the air :D

I like most things two wheel, but modern Moto X especially arena stuff bores me stupid, am sorry to say.

I gave up watching scrambling when they started to do radical things to the bikes and riders lost there identity under armour etc. By then I had discovered Grasstrack & Speedway, and even though those bikes have changed the basic format hasn't (from the tapes turn left) :) Unlike Moto X where they have to fly over artificial jumps etc.

I never did take up scrambling, did the odd Trial but I did race on the Grass for a few years purely junior level.

Now I keep my memories alive with a few bikes that I am restoring, mainly Greeves orientated but I got JAP speedway bike as well.

Sad I know, but I like it :)

Just thought it might be worth reviving this thread as there seemed to be some interest re: Speedway riders who rode Motocross in the Arthur Browning thread.

but I got JAP speedway bike as well.

Sad I know, but I like it :)

G/Day Colin

I would love 4 laps on your JAP at Oxford B) ....... the sound of the JAP banging off the resturant windows............ :D

Regards.

PS.

When is P&P day? B)

:lol: Steve johnston grew up in the West Australian red desert gold mine town of Kalgoorlie where he started off with motocross.

Just reading the post about Tom Leadbitter reminded me of John Louis and Arthur Brownings Motocross days. Anyone remember any other Speedway riders who were good Motocross riders? I don't mean anyone who "had a go". I mean were GOOD!

Biggest link must be Andy Lee, father of World Champ Michael Lee, don't know how good Michael could have been if he never raced speedway. They ran their own circuit somewhere in Cambridge area i think.

Went to the Moto Cross Des Nations at Foxhills in Swindon a few years back, this is the Moto x version of speedways WTC but better. It rained solid for 3 days and it was knee deep in mud. Got so bad they had to cut out the big hill in the last race for safety reasons. Still one of the best days out i ever had at a motorsport event, brilliant stuff.

Watched Dave Thorpe 3x WORLD Champ

and Kurt Nicholl at Hawkstone Park and Farleigh Castle against all the top Belgiums

great tracks and great racing. :D

Tomasz and Jacek Gollob during their early two years in speedway were a motocrossers. Tomasz was even on the rostrum once or twice in U21 Polish Motocross Championship. Watching Gollob on speedway bike you could notice some of motocross riding style.

John Louis (already mentioned)

Ted Howgego

and

Dangerous Kim Jansson :P

The Grahame brothers (Alan, Andy and John) all competed in moto cross events even when still riding speedway and I think Andy rode after he finished speedway.

Sam Ermolenko raced some moto cross in America before coming over here and I think most of the Americans did. Billy Hamill still competes in Enduro races and dirt track races in America where his son is competing as a junior.

This thread starts off stating they read a post about Tom Leadbitter

Can someone post a link to the thread as Tom was a family friend of ours and he used to take me out on the bikes along with former riders Roger Harvey and Rob Hooper who still live very close to me now.

Roger is head of Honda off road racing and travels the world to events.