British Speedway Forum
Wildcat Steve

U15 Challenge Weymouth vs Wolves

Would like to say a big thankyou to all the U15 lads for being so helpful and willing to come back and ride in the second half U15 challenge

A big thankyou to

Adam Lowe and Andy Brathwaite and their families for staying in B&Bs for and extra night to race for Wolverhampton Sunday. Without this sort of co-operation we would not be able to restage this event

Weymouth

1 Matt Bates

2 George Piper ©

3 Sam Hurst

4 Tim Webster

Wolves

1 Lewis Bridger ©

2 Adam Lowe

3 Dan Kirkman

4 Andy Braithwaite

Weymouth 17

Matt Bates - engine failure in first race unable to take further part.

George Piper 7

Sam Hurst 9

Tim Webster 1 Fell in second race.

Wolverhampton 16

Lewis Bridger 8

Adam Lowe 4

Dan Kirkman 1 (1 exclusion)

Andy Braithwaite 3 (1 exclusion)

Meeting only run over 6 races due to curfew. I was only able to watch the races Sam was in, the final race was good with Weymouth only having 1 rider out so Sam needed to win for Weymouth to get the match. Lewis rode very well on a borrowed bike and pushed Sam hard for the first lap before he seemed to have some sort of problem. It was a shame as I would think Sam and Lewis could have had a real battle had Lewis been on his own bike as they are both happy to race hard.

WEYMOUTH v WOLVERHAMPTON

(Under 15 Junior Challenge)

WEYMOUTH UNDER 15’s

1 Matthew Bates EF, N, N, = 0

2 George Piper 2, 2, 3, = 7

3 Sam Hurst 3, 3, 3, = 9

4 Tim Webster 1, FX, 0, = 1

Team manager: Steve Piper

WOLVERHAMPTON UNDER 15’s

1 Lewis Bridger 3, 3, 2, = 8

2 Adam Lowe 1, 2, 1*, = 4+1

3 Dan Kirkman 0, 1, FX, = 1

4 Andy Braithwaite 2, 1*, FX, = 3+1

Team manager: Jackie Braithwaite

Toss for gate positions won by Wolverhampton who took gates 1 & 3

HEAT DETAILS:

Ht 1: Bridger, Piper, Lowe, Bates (EF), 59.2, 2-4

Ht 2: Hurst, Braithwaite, Webster, Kirkman, 59.1, 4-2, 6-6

Ht 3: Hurst, Lowe, Braithwaite, Bates (N/S), 59.4, 3-3, 9-9

Ht 4: Bridger, Piper, Kirkman, Webster (FX), awarded, 2-4, 11-13

Ht 5: Piper, Kirkman (FX), Braithwaite (FX), Bates (N/S), awarded, 3-0, 14-13

Ht 6: Hurst, Bridger, Lowe, Webster, 59.2, 3-3, 17-16

Rider of the Night: Sam Hurst

As a mark of respect to Colin Hill Matt was wearing his Exeter race Jacket and George as skipper had a black arm band

Well done to all who took part. They rode and gave it their all. Many thanks to Sam Hurst who rode at Newport then rushed down rode for Kings Lynn then turned out for the U15 Wildcats and put in an amazing performance in both fixtures at the Wessex. Tim Webster was battered and bruised after taking a few hefty tumbles in both meetings. Matt blew an engine and never got the chance to do anything in the meeting as did George who had a con rod snap while doing his demo laps before the main meeting and rode his second bike for the U15s and picked up 7points with his Havvy style captains head on

All season the U15 riders that have ridden at Weymouth have been a pleasure to work with many thanks to all of them

Edited by Wildcat Steve

I think we should also add our thanks to the Ref Steve! Thanks for managing to bumble her way through a meeting without actually managing to kill anybody that is, somebody needs to revoke her licence in a hurry. There was one incident where Andy Braithwaite locked up badly and both the following riders layed their bikes down to miss him but when he stayed on she just allowed the race to continue. Far more worrying is the incident that my wife saw where Tim Websters bike was laid in the middle of the start straight and she failed to see it and only switched the red light on when Lewis Bridger was a few yards from the bike, by all accounts Lewis was very lucky not to have been seriously injured. I don't generally complain too much about Referees as they have a very difficult job (and I would be useless at it) but this woman whose name I can never remember is a danger to the riders at every meeting she attends. You can always tell when she is the Ref as she loves the sound of the bell so much that she rings it as often and as long as possible.

Oh dear Vince not more problems with our 'lady' ref!!! Do they have to prove themselves each season or is it once they have the licence they keep it? Seems by past comments on here she definitely need a refresher course before someone is very seriously hurt through her mistakes!!

Anyway well done Sam, what a day he had and you must be shattered Vince with all that driving. Well at least you should ( I use that in the loosest term!!) get a bit of rest now!!

Well done to all the lads, enjoy your break, see you next season!!!

I think we should also add our thanks to the Ref Steve! 

Do you have to :P

Far more worrying is the incident that my wife saw where Tim Websters bike was laid in the middle of the start straight and she failed to see it and only switched the red light on when Lewis Bridger was a few yards from the bike, by all accounts Lewis was very lucky not to have been seriously injured. I don't generally complain too much about Referees as they have a very difficult job (and I would be useless at it) but this woman whose name I can never remember is a danger to the riders at every meeting she attends. You can always tell when she is the Ref as she loves the sound of the bell so much that she rings it as often and as long as possible.

As I was in the refs box at that moment she (Margret Vardy, as if you really didn't know :rolleyes: ) did not see Tim Webster fall let alone see his bike still on the track! I said to her there is a bike on the track arn't you going to stop the race? to which she replied "Where?"

Now I'm not being funny but the refs do have a difficult job to do and I tend to get on well with all of them, they are human (apart from yesterdays experience :mad: ) and friendly chaps who like you and I enjoy their Speedway as well as some good hearted banter. Yesterday was the opposite, I received a phone call on route to the track to tell me who the referee was, I just laughed and said if we finish the whole programme tonight it will be a miracle, I was right.

Anyway back to the incident with Tim Websters bike laying on the circuit, and Lewis Bridger decending down flat out! after looking all around the track for the fallen bike after being told and I even pointed to the bike the red lights finally came on with Lewis just yards from the fallen bike. Riders safety in mind? There was also another incident where she asked myself and the incident recorder what we thought happened and who was to blame! Seems like we will need to install a VCR for next season.

Looks like I will be in the s**t for the above comments, but they are facts not fiction, I just hope that next season that the supporters don't have to endure the constant bell ringing for no reason from an over charged power freek. The other refs that have visited have been a joy to work with and have left the box all smiles rather than scurry away.

Don't sit on the fence Tim - say what you mean :D

Seriously though something needs to be done about this Ref, she really is dangerous. You can just about live with some of her very strange decisions about who is at fault but when she is putting riders at risk of being hurt or worse she needs to be sorted out before the new season starts.

hi its George here the incident with Tim Websters bike was close one as Lewis had bike problems I was just coming up the inside as we came through the third and fourth turn WE SAW THE BIKE BEFORE THE LIGHTS and both swerved to avoid the bike and Tim it became very close but luckily enough we were both joking about it after in the changing rooms .Vince is right something is needed to be done.... maybe someone should buy her a guide dog :lol:

post spelling corrected by spell check and Dad :rolleyes:

Edited by Wildcat Steve