British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
peatbog

Irish Speedway

During the 50's some Americans were based at Shelbourne Park, Dublin and if I remember correctly, they raced on Sundays. I think that Ronnie Moore was Irish Champion around 1951. At other times Speedway was tried at Chapelizod and Belfast, I wonder if the time is right to try again ?

There was a rumour that the GP circus would stop in Dublin this year but nothing came of it. However, they do say there's no smoke without fire so hopefully it could happen one day. That would be an excellent weekend!

I've tried more than once to find about the history of speedway in Dublin. I bought a small poster in the 70's advertising speedway there but it doesn't say when or who rode etc.

Come on Norbold, here's another book idea I've set up for you.

Looks like there have actually been three tracks in Dublin.

Santry Greyhound Stadium - first meeting May 1948.

Shelbourne Park - first meeting May 1950.

Chapelizod Stadium - first meeting August 1950.

Funnily enough, I was on holiday in Ireland last week and I took in a night at the dogs in Dublin. There are two venues - Sherbourne Park and Harold Cross. I went for the latter and as I arrived I immediately thought (as most fans would) what a tidy little speedway it would make.

There was plenty of room for a track on the inside, a nice little grandstand with behind-glass bars and restaurants and room for the building of some pits.

I think speedway in Ireland could do well. The Belfast ice hockey team attracts thousands since they were recently formed and there's no reason why speedway couldn't be as successful.

But, if someone did go for it I suppose they would have to go for it big style in the Elite or Premier League and not in the Conference. It would take a big outlay to get a place up and running and to pay travelling costs for riders, so they'd need to recoup it by putting on high standard stuff to attract big crowds.

Would be nice though :D

As a Heathen living in Belfast the prospect of Speedway over here would be extremely exciting, however I would be amazed if it were to happen.

The Belfast Giants Ice Hockey team have attracted good crowds as do the Ulster Rugby Union team, this shows that there is a market for spectator sports over here, but there really isn't a suitable venue. The dog track which services Belfast is at Ballyskeagh, which is nearer Lisburn than Belfast. I seem to remember it did hold a meeting once(someone with a copy of Homes of British Speedway may confirm) and there were meetings at other defunct venues in Belfast, but there has been no Speedway since early 1980's when Cradley rode a challenge match at Ballymena in front of a crowd of 5,000.

There is a great deal of interest in motorcycle racing, but it revolves mainly around the road racing tradition.

If someone was brave enough to have a go at introducing the sport I think they would probably get good crowds, but don't know if it would be enough to offset the transport costs of getting men and machines over the Irish Sea.

Don't know so much about the Dublin area, but again I suspect a GP round would be a risky but possible venture, but unlikely on a regular basis.

Agree totally Salty.

I actually reckon that a Belfast or Dublin team would have the potential to attract bigger crowds than all of Britain's speedways. But - as you say - whether that would enough to cover travel costs in another matter.

A sponsorship deal with P&O or whoever runs the ferry service would seem to be an ideal situation here - let's face it, riders commute between the UK, Sweden, Poland and Denmark frequently and many have done deals with various airline companies - why should the Irish Sea be a stumbling block when the North Sea isn't?

I know its not as far but Isle of Wight has done a great job, it was the last

place I expected to have a track, and do so successfully.

A sponsorship deal with P&O or whoever runs the ferry service would seem to be an ideal situation here - let's face it, riders commute between the UK, Sweden, Poland and Denmark frequently and many have done deals with various airline companies - why should the Irish Sea be a stumbling block when the North Sea isn't?

If only sponsorship was that easy :roll:

Be an obvious solution but it is a very big IF. The riders would have to use the ferries anyway. What's really in it for the ferry company? I think a discount for bulk bookings would probably be about the best any promotion could hope for.

But it would still be an expensive business because none of the riders would be local. There would be a huge outlay for home riders as well as away riders.

Kevin

A good idea, but the difference between riders commuting to Sweden, Poland etc is as far as I know they generally have bikes and equipment in the country and then fly over. Apart from an imported squad of home riders, the away team would have to ferry man and machine over for one off matches. Quickest journey time to the north is approx an hour but that is from Stranraer(not the easiest place to get to in the first place). From Liverpool the crossing takes about 8 hours!

Bearing in mind the risk of not getting support over here, I can't see anyone taking such a risk.

Salty, are you originally from Belfast? If so it will be interesting to know how you found interest in speedway. Maybe if there were a Dublin team and also a Belfast team it would capture the interest of the locals.

Unfortunately it is very expensive to travel to Ireland by ferry, could be a tough nut to crack, but once the seeds are laid who knows. Like a previous posting, if the Isle of Wight can do it?

Deano

Check out the CH!

Born and bred in the Black Country, married a Belfast girl.

May return one day if the Heathens get back on track.

regards