British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Al Stewart

Longest serving team captain

Doug Templeton captained Edinburgh from their entry into the Provincial League in 1960 until he briefly retired in 1969 and handed the captaincy over to Bert Harkins.

I have always thought that this was probably the longest period of captaincy in speedway history but would be interested to hear if anyone else can think of any longer period by another rider.

Jack Parker,perhaps.Sounds like one for Norbold :unsure:

Thank you, iris!

I have been thinking about it since I saw the post earlier. Jack Parker? Do you mean at Belle Vue? Yes, possibly. Ronnie Moore sprang to mind, but, of course, he missed out 1957 and most of 58 going car racing. Tommy Price at Wembley is another possibility but I'm not sure when he first became captain. So far though I haven't been able to come up with anyone who I could definitely say lasted longer than Doug Templeton, but I'm still thinking!

Yes, Norbold.Belle Vue was the team.Don't know but i would guess he was captain post war .Norman Parker was another that came to mind but again i don't know when he became captain although i would have thought he like Jack only lost the captaincy on retirement.Total guess work

Just refered to one of your publications to see Norman was captain for 8 years,only

Edit 2.Just wondering if Nigel Boocock or maybe Terry Betts are a possibility?

Edited by iris123

Guest rob123

How about Chris Louis - ipswich, probably about 11 years (from 91 to 2002) ??? not sure!

classical carl stonehewer workington captain comet supremo what a great team man

Great minds think alike there Kev, When Barney looks in maybe he could let us know how many years it was. Did he take over from Ross Gilbertson?

OMG was driving to K&C A&E on Sunday morning and saw Russ Osbourne en route!! Also Kev do you remember Mrs Poynter (ran the coach co for our tour buses) she phoned Dad the other night.

Laurie Etheridge was Crayford captain from 1975 till 1982 (but that's not quite as long as some of the others...)

Being the author of a book about speedway in Sugar Beet country i would expect you to know how long Bettsy was captain Norbold.Also how long was Roger Johns captain.Must say it was never something i worried about.A captain of a speedway team being rather less important than in most sports i would have thought :unsure:

Terry Betts was captain of King's Lynn from 1968 - 1978

Roger Johns was captain of Wimbledon from 1981 - 1989

Edited by norbold

Nicht schlecht :) And Booey?