Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iris123

Olle Nygren

At this very moment in Norrköping,some of speedways greats are gathering to celebrate the 75th birthday of someone who is not out of place among them.Namely Olle Nygren.A quick roll call tells how highly regarded he is.The guests include Freddie Williams,Ove Fundin,P.Jonsson,G.Nordin,S.Harrefeldt,T.Rickardsson,B.Knutson,A.Michanek,Bert Harkins and many more.

Olle was perhaps the first top speedway rider that i saw,although i only know because of a tattered old rosette that i have from my early years :( At the moment when a lot of riders debt to British Speedway is being questioned,Olle is certainly a rider who put more back into the sport in this country than most.I would like to take this opportunity to say thanks Olle and hope the celebrations don't get too out of hand :D

Olle was a great rider and a great sportsman. He has certainly done his bit to bring on British youngsters, even though he is Swedish himself.

I remember Ove Fundin once telling me that Olle Nygren could have been World Champion many times but that he wasn't really bothered. He was more interested in the teams he rode for than the individual glory.

Happy birthday, Olle.

Guest cheetahhawk

When I first strated going to speedway way back in 1963, Olle was one of my first heroes.I think it was the white boots that made me notice him. :)

I hope that he had a great 75th birthday and I hope I am as fit as he seems to be when I reach that age. :)

I would like to add my Congratulations to Olle

When I fisrt saw Olle he was far from my favorite rider! Anything to do with Wimbledon at that time to me was unpleasant :wink:

My opinion soon changed when he saw the light and joind the "appy ammers "

so much so I have used him as the wallpaper for my West Ham website :approve:

Thanks for the memories Olle

Edited by Custom House Kid

Guest Jim Blanchard

"It will be a party for all lovers of motor cycle sports and I'm sure that we will be around three hundred (that's all the place can hold) To the English crowd Olle is known as a speedway rider, but to me "Varg-Olle" as everyone in Sweden knows him - and let me tell you, everybody in Sweden knows of "Varg-Olle"- he is known as the best "all round" motor bike rider ever, winning, as he has, the Swedish Championship in speedway, moto cross, ice racing and road racing.

If I had won ten World titles, or if Tony Rickardsson should do it, we could never be as popular and loved as Olle. I know there will also be quite a few from the UK at the party.....

Ove Fundin

From Ove's web site: http://www.ove-fundin.com

Have a great day Olle. You too Bertola!!!!!

Congratulations to Olle on his 75th. birthday. I first watched speedway at Odsal, Bradford in 1949 and Olle is one of the finest and hardest riders it has been my pleasure to watch. I can still recall the days when he visited Belle Vue as a member of the Norwich side which included both Ove Fundin and Aub Lawson. What a fabulous heat-leader trio.

Thanks for all the entertainment you have given over the years, and for putting a lot back into British speedway through your training schools.

I can still recall the days when he visited Belle Vue as a member of the Norwich side which included both Ove Fundin and Aub Lawson. What a fabulous heat-leader trio.

?????????????????

When was that then?

Aub left at the end of 1960; Olle joined in 1962.

Guest Jim Blanchard

Just received in from Ove.

"Now on to Sweden and Olle Nygren's birthday party, or "fiesta" for lovers of motor cycle sports, as Olle wanted to label it. It started at the unusual early time, 17.30, Freddie Williams said, "it must be so we oldies can get to bed at our normal time" I'm not sure, as it was in "full swing" when Ioana and I left, half past midnight, and my son, Michael later told me that after the dinner/dance, the party went on in the bar at the hotel where most guest stayed.

More than 260 people, among them were many World Champions, from speedway, Fred Williams, Bjorn Knutson, Anders Michaneck, Tony Rickardsson and myself. From moto cross, Bill Nilsson, Sten Lundin, Torsten Hallman and Pelle Mas. From ice racing Eric Stenlund and Porsa Serenius. The winners of the World Team Cup from 1960 (the first time the event was held) and from 2004 were there, almost in full. Most colorful of all the guests was "The Swally Tours" from Scotland, all dressed in the proper way a gentleman from Scotland should be, Jimmy Tannock again the leader and Bert Harkins tried to translate what ever was said. Everyone was happy and saying, what a nice way to bring together so many mc sportspeople, and from all kind of racing!

I, myself, have never heard of any such "get together" before. There was no speeches (but lots of interviews) the reason was that Olle, himself wanted to tell us about his "wild life" (and believe me, he has led a wild life) he did tell us in his charming and natural way; The evening was arranged and led by Rolf Sundberg (ex president of Swedish Motor Federation) and Bosse Karlsson (Swedish tv presenter) they did a great job, thanks. apart from mixing with new and old friends, eating and dancing, you could look at hundreds of pictures and lots of bikes from speedway, ice racing, moto cross and road racing. I'm sure, many people will regrett that they missed the chance to attend a meeting that I don't will happen again. Swedish news papers, tv and radio was present, but it's not the same as having been there.

I know, it's early, but will take the opportunity to wish you all "Merry Christmas and a successful and fun 2005.

Ioana and I will spend the holidays in Romania.

Yours, as ever, Ove."