British Speedway Forum
Paul

Hackney Speedway

Remember Friday nights at 8? “The Magnificent Seven” playing over the pa system, Banger doing his high swoops around the banked Hackney track then cutting back to the white line, Thommo’s famous last lap, last bend victory over Ivan Mauger and Scott Autrey, Dave Morton’s sweeps on the outside, Gary Middletons antics on and especially of the track, Chris Louis and Andy Galvins magnificent team riding, Hawkeye’s [later to become Birdbrain] witty programme notes, Len Silver getting his trousers burnt at the end of each season, the same supporter shouting out when Len announced the numbers in the weekly fiddle [who was that?], the dare-devil riding of Zenon Plech, Steve Schofield unbeaten run around the Wick, the list could just go on and on and on ……….

We all know those days at Hackney will never return. How we can all reminisce. Well now’s the chance to reminisce once again, this time perhaps with the Hackney’s hero’s themselves.

Hackney Speedway “The Re-Union Friday at 8” will take place in 2005! Hopefully many former Hackney riders and promoters will be in attendance, Shazzybird, better ask uncle Ted to dust down his leathers! If you have supported Hackney, worked or ridden at the Wick and you would be interested in attending it would be helpful to leave a message on this thread so we can gauge the support, or you can e-mail me at: - paul.tadman1@btopenworld.com.

Then the following night [yes it just gets better and better] Rye House Speedway will be proudly presenting The 2005 Vic Harding Memorial Trophy. Two fantastic events in two days! Of course there a couple of things that I have not mentioned, the dates and the venue for “The Re-Union Friday at 8”. Currently Len Silver is compiling the Rye House fixture list, and he hopes to be able to announce a date for the Harding meeting in the early New Year. “The Re-Union Friday at 8” venue will be in easy reach to us all, we hope, but until we know a date can’t book a venue, although we do have one in mind. Once Len gives us the date, we will then be putting “Hackney Speedway The Re-Union Friday at 8” into full swing!

Edited by Paul

Shazzybird, better ask uncle Ted to dust down his leathers! 

Does this mean I can get to watch him ride again! Better not tell Auntie :o

Will pop out and tell him in the morning :wink: Hope to be there xx Good Luck with the two events listed :approve:

i`d certainly try and attend both events.

Re-union what a great idea. Count me in for two people! Will speak to other people I know at the weekend meeting at Brighton on Sunday. There are lot's of people I no that do not to speedway anymore, I am sure they would be interested! Good Luck and see you there! Just a thought, do you have to get permission from the BSPA to hold a re-union???????

Edited by Dave Stummings

If I can fix it, I will make up a tape of Old Hackney footage, (Hawks) and we can have it playing in the background if you want?

Paul,

count me in.. and i'll rally the family for that weekend.. and put word round the "old Hawks fans" i know off, and still keep in touch with.

Lets "make it a date, friday at eight" once more

cheese board and cakes an tea at Norbolds afterwards! :)

Guest cheetahhawk

This sounds a really great idea Paul.Put me down for 5 people to attend,I'm looking forward to it already. :)

It will be brilliant to meet up with old friends.

Have you actually got any riders confirming their attendance? I would really love to meet up with Thommo again .

I've ni idea what her name was, but is there any chance of that lady who used to stand on the back straight and yell abuse at Bobby Beaton being there?

If she is, I'll come along too. She used to provide endless entertainment!

Count me in too! I might even be able to get Mr LW to come temporarily out of his speedway retirement for this one. :shock::rolleyes: