British Speedway Forum
Paul

Hackney Speedway

I'd be interested in this for sure! Would be great to see a few old faces again.

So far the response from the various parties I have actually spoken to has been quite amazing.

Hoping to be in contact with most of our former Hackney Hero’s once I have a date from Len. There will be some riders who have just disappeared. Certainly most I think will be contactable. Yes Zenon’s phone number is one we have, as is Thommo’s, that’s the question I think is on most people’s mind!

Once more details are known then we can get the show on the road, “Hackney Speedway The Re-Union Friday at 8”

Mr Tape to Tape are you going to Brighton on Sunday? Liz, will be in contact with you soon. Sean, see you Sunday at Brighton or Sittingbourne Sunday week?

Utopia beckons...

As soon as the important details are confirmed - date, venue, etc - let me know and we'll ensure a good plug for the event in the next available issue of Backtrack Magazine (issue 6 in January?)

I've already mentioned the idea to Dag Lovaas, who says he is keen to be there. He's more than willing to board a cheap Ryanair flight from Norway to be at the reunion. Once details are confirmed, I'll be only too pleased to help in contacting as many other ex-Hawks as poss to ensure a great turn-out for what will be a momentous occasion.

Incidentally, no fans of the old Hawks should miss our exclusive with Dag in the brand new issue 5) of Backtrack, which will be mailed out to subscribers today. He has some nice words to say about his 1974 season at Waterden Road.

Tony Mac

Edited by tmc

So far the response from the various parties I have actually spoken to has been quite amazing.

Hoping to be in contact with most of our former Hackney Hero’s once I have a date from Len. There will be some riders who have just disappeared. Certainly most I think will be contactable. Yes Zenon’s phone number is one we have, as is Thommo’s, that’s the question I think is on most people’s mind!

Once more details are known then we can get the show on the road, “Hackney Speedway The Re-Union Friday at 8”

Mr Tape to Tape are you going to Brighton on Sunday? Liz, will be in contact with you soon. Sean, see you Sunday at Brighton or Sittingbourne Sunday week?

We will indeed be at Brighton, we are providing footage for Meridian and BBC television. contact number 07751978331 - Ken

Sean, see you Sunday at Brighton or Sittingbourne Sunday week?

no chance with sunday. :sad: .. more likely to be sittingbourne on the 19th...

(but that date is also looking iffy as its mrs sheeps birthday!!) :unsure:

lots of brownie points need collecting! :approve:

Best remember the art of Nappy changing the Seanie :wink: and getting up for the middle of the night feed without moaning :wink: Oh and making cups of tea when needed (How am I doing Sarah !! :wink: )

Best remember the art of Nappy changing the Seanie  :wink:  and getting up for the middle of the night feed without moaning  :wink:  Oh and making cups of tea when needed (How am I doing Sarah !! :wink: )

thems are jobs fer girls... not the Skipper..:)

Edited by sandman

Utopia beckons...

Never so looked forward to getting the fixture list announced for many, many years. Sad as it is Hackney was so much part of my life, for so long. The thought of meeting, once again, the people who gave me so much pleasure, and actually thanking them, just did not appreciate it at the time, well I did, but I think Hackney fans will no what I mean. Great to hear Dag Lovaas will be coming over. What about Dave Morton, Steve Lomas, think I owe him an apology, did give him a bit of stick at times, not in the second-half’s though. I seem to remember Steve getting a rostrum place in the Champions Chase one year.

Tony Mac summed up brilliantly with UTOPIA BECONS

It's interesting to see just how many people have such happy memories of Friday nights at Hackney. I was a regular there for a few years starting in 1968.

Here's the question. What was it that made Hackney special? Was it the racing? Was it the show which Len Silver put on? Was it the terracing humour? Was it the smell of confectionery coming from the Clarnico mints factory next door?

I'd be interested to know what others think about this.

Well I was a Kings Lynn fan living in West london, who would go to both Wimbledon and Hackney most weeks from around 1979 through to 1987. I used to catch the bus from Hammersmith, make one change and get off a few yards from the 'Wick. Wimbledon was just the one bus.

In the mid-80's I used to go to Hackney almost every week, mostly because there was this young lady (she would have been around 19 or so) who was always stood in the same place near to the pits, about half way up the terracing, who I really fancied, but never got the nerve up to ask out. She was always there with her younger sister (aged 11 or so). I would also head over to the track shop to get all the Kings Lynn programmes - as I could never get up to the 'Bow as I didn't have a car and the trains didn't run late in those days, and anyway, I played football for $$'s on Saturdays :-)

When the Stars came into town, I would always make a point of getting into the pit area to chat with the riders, and became such a familiar face around the away tracks, that I ended up helping Keith Bloxsome with is bike at Wimbledon one night. That was great night, even if Keith didn't score very well, it was intereting to see just how a team was managed behind the scenes... (not very much if truth be told).

I wasn't the biggest fan of the Hackney track and it's solid posts and was there the night Denny Pyeatt was killed which stopped me going back for a while.

Overall though, I simply miss watching live speedway, in it's best format, team speedway. You can't beat it. Shame about the 'Wick though. Good luck with the get together. And if that young lady just happens to be on this board all these years later and recognises herself in this posting, you know, being chatted up by a camera toting Kings Lynn fan every Friday night, it was fun.

One of my main memorys was being shown around the Matchbox toy car factory behind the 2nd bend, when I was really little and trying to tell the owner he should make speedway riders on bike instead of cars!, still got all me old progs though and those from many other places. Great memories trying to climb up those ruddy huge steps so I could see! Didnt like it when they changed from Hawks to Kestrels though, didnt mean as much as it was just Crayfords rejects! Just think in those days they didnt have a track shop they had two or three!