British Speedway Forum
Paul

Hackney Speedway

three track shops.. one on the first bend with the programme "window" and Snowies "shop"

one on the second bend.. wasn't it in th tea hut or room ?

and one at the top of the fourth bend terracing..

and then there was "the Vic Harding Lounge" on the third bend as well..

as for the young lady on the fourth bend that "star in exile" mentions.. one question..

Shaz.. where did u stand.. it sounds like you had an admirer !!!!

memories......ah!!

Paul..

can we re create the bunch of kids running round the front of the stand from the start to the first bend.. with the "stamped on" coke cans on the left foot, sounding like steel shoes, and running round the makeshift "track" in groups of four... like complete maniacs.. going "vroom, vroom.. vroom"..

please.....u already got me, Scorpio, and a few others on here that said we all did it.. i am sure i can drag along terry heaths kids for the night as well!

Ian..what made Hackney special??? hmmm....

Good old East end friendliness .... sadly.. now missing from London all togther!

Ian..what made Hackney special???  hmmm....

Sean by the wall in the mainstand overlooking the pits just off the fourth bend with Di (From Arena) and a girl called Sharon (From Hornchurch who I'd love to meet back up with!!) on the odd occassion Knocker was with us as well (Bless him!! if you know him you'll know thats said VERY tongue in cheek!!)

What made Hackney Special? Hmmmmm Everything from - the Magnificent Seven Theme Tune right down to the Weekly Fiddle :wink: Like Sean says the memories are there etched in the brain nothing anyone can do can ever taken them away :approve: That's it start me off again :cry:

Ian..what made Hackney special???   hmmm....

Sean by the wall in the mainstand overlooking the pits just off the fourth bend with Di (From Arena) and a girl called Sharon (From Hornchurch who I'd love to meet back up with!!) on the odd occassion Knocker was with us as well (Bless him!! if you know him you'll know thats said VERY tongue in cheek!!)

What made Hackney Special? Hmmmmm Everything from - the Magnificent Seven Theme Tune right down to the Weekly Fiddle :wink: Like Sean says the memories are there etched in the brain nothing anyone can do can ever taken them away :approve: That's it start me off again :cry:

there ya go "star in exile"..sounds like i found ya "friend!"

oi..shaz... that weekly "fiddle" was won by my family most weeks.. !!

grandad used to look after the pit gate stopping rowdie groupies (you mainly!) from getting in..and he used to hand out the Ham and Cheese rolls and cans of pop in the changing rooms after , and clear up after the riders used to shake off all the mud on the floor!(and i used to be able to remember exactly what my favourite riders used to have..Zenon.. two Ham rolls and a can of orange tango, Bo, two Cheese, and a coke! Ivan Mauger used to have Ham.. and 7-UP. Scott Autrey was a Cheese and Coke.!!! can't remember what uncle Ted used to have!) Nan (she used to spend every friday making the rolls for the riders) and auntie Denny used to sell you your programmes.. My mum used to sell the programmes round in the second bend entrance hut ..

Playing football in the pits with Andrew Silver after the meeting (usually about midnight by that time!) Mixing with all the riders in the Clubhut in the pit area,

Going out onto the fully lit track after everyone had gone home.. and running round the track.. . looking up at the massive home straight stand, and the smaller back straight stand.. getting hold of a rake.. and doing some raking.. !!

picking up the used tear offs, and cleaning them up, fixing the elastic in the back, and putting them over ya eyes..

sob!... now u got me going ! wheres me youth gone?

oi..shaz... that weekly "fiddle" was won by my family most weeks.. !!

Playing football in the pits with Andrew Silver after the meeting (usually about midnight by that time!) Mixing with all the riders in the Clubhut in the pit area,

Going out onto the fully lit track after everyone had gone home.. and running round the track.. .  looking up at the massive home straight stand, and the smaller back straight stand.. getting hold of a rake.. and doing some raking.. !!

picking up the used tear offs, and cleaning them up, fixing the elastic in the back, and putting them over ya eyes..

sob!...  now u got me going !  wheres me youth gone?

When it wasn't yours it was ours :wink: My god we probably played together :P If only we'd known then what we know now those "Flickers" would be worth a fortune if we'd got them autographed at the time :lol::wink:

Can we stop now :cry:

Edited by shazzybird

My god we probably played together  :P 

careful!!

had quite a few romances in those days !! :oops:

i'll have to sit down one evening and write up the whole "FRIDAY" night as i remember them..

I'll tell you what was so special about Hackney - it was the "X Factor", that thing you can't point your finger at but you know it's there!

Raw excitement, no pomp and ceremony, just good old fashioned entertainment - halcyon days, never to return I'm afraid, but bloody good while they lasted.

Looks for lump in throat smilie :sad:

What I liked best about Hackney was the fact I could walk there and walk home after the meeting.

Oh yes, and the fact that somehow the racing always seemed to be closer there than anywhere else and it was a very friendly atmosphere and then there was Uncle Len of course....

Guest cheetahhawk

Looks like between Sean,Shazzy,Kev and Norbold it has all been said.Tears are rolling down my face just remembering it all.

Everytime the Magnificent Seven is played at Oxford now, me or one of my boys say ,we are at Hackney again . I wish. :sad:

I think Kev sums it up with the X factor thingy as that really says it all.

:cry: cant believe Coventry have nicked our `make it a date, fridays at 8` slogan.

was sorting out the loft last weekend and found the 1983 programme (vs Ipswich! :blink: ) that had photo of me in it, a young looking me with Jens and Bo taken on the centre green. What happy memories this has all brought back.

:cry:   cant believe Coventry have nicked our `make it a date, fridays at 8` slogan.

Too Much!! Bloody Cheek :cry: Mind you if Colin Pratt is there they can borrow it :wink:

Edited by shazzybird

I'll tell you what was so special about Hackney - it was the "X Factor", that thing you can't point your finger at but you know it's there!

Raw excitement, no pomp and ceremony, just good old fashioned entertainment - halcyon days, never to return I'm afraid, but bloody good while they lasted.

Looks for lump in throat smilie :sad:

If it was possible I would ask Santa to fly by the army surplus shop and buy a "sticky" pack of gas goggles to put in all your stockings.

As a kid I wrote to Hackney asking if I could have some old programmes they were duly delivered to me and I still have them. :)

PS I hope that your get together was a good one.

What ever became of Ray Poiser I remember him and Bert Harkins posing for a picture to compare injuries.

Edited by Topcat

Funny how reading through this thread has bought back memories that had been locked away in the back of my mind for many, many years. There are of course several people who will say nothing new there then, I know! The one in particular memory that has sprung to my mind, like that spring in the Magic Roundabout, saying time for bed! Talking of roundabout’s how’s Chris Golding? I digress on this occasion. Oh dear I think the funny pills are working overtime! Back to the point in question, NEWS FLASH!

Just listening to RTE radio on line. Irelands worst plane disaster struck today when a two- seater plane crashed into a cemetery. Irish rescue workers have recovered 828 bodies, digging continues, oh dear!

Anyway like the man was saying the memory that has got jogged today was the twenty-four hour darts marathon I think in aid of the Barry Thomas XX Testimonial Fund. Was quite a night and day in the Vic Harding Lounge where the marathon took place. Hopefully a load more memories will come flying back when once again we will hear the sound of the Magnificent Seven theme music on a Friday at Eight! However, especially Coventry, beware of imitations!

Talking of roundabout’s how’s Chris Golding?

Alive & kicking...well more like alive and slouched in a chair fast akip "watching" the telly if I know Chris! :lol: Thankfully he hasn't had any arguments with any roundabouts - well not lately anyway! :wink:

He was a tad busy last year acting as incident recorder / timekeeper at King's Lynn, Boston & the IOW plus, Sittingbourne of course and the Southern Track Riders Association at their meetings.

Who was the man who used to go around the tracks with a suitcase selling programmes from different tracks?, blimey I used to get loads of of him.

Hughie Saunders would give me a lift back to home after the meetings!

Still got all me stickers and a few posters too, honest Len I did intend putting them in a chip shop, well some of 'em!

Who was the man who used to go around the tracks with a suitcase selling programmes from different tracks?, blimey I used to get loads of of him.

Wasn't that Derrick Neave? I got lots off of him as well.