British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
StevePass

Latest issue

Got mine in the post this morning and looking forward to an evening in front of the fire for a good read.

Steve

Yep got mine too :approve: Kids going out to look at the christmas lights with their dad tonight, told him I'm wrapping presents :wink: any excuse to have a read quietly and reminise (sp) :approve:

Got mine this morning too

Got mine this morning too

Me as well, only really read the Phil Crump interview so far though. Interesting stuff indeed.

funny he didnt mention when as a young pup i tried to get his autograph and he set a certain mean red headed kid loose on me and then threatened me with the Dugard boyos on top of it all.. :neutral:

Always a pleasure to see the big brown envelope on the mat.

Thanks Tony, your very high standard has been continued. An

early Christmas present for me.

Great issue this month. Three of my favourite riders in there - Phil Crump, Dag Lovaas and Jason Crump. I think it was a very telling quote by Phil Crump that summed up his lack of World Championship success when he said that in 1982 he was enjoying the Carter/Penhall clash rather than concentrate on his own racing.

Both Phil and Dag both clearly lacked the 'killer' instinct that Jason has to take them up that one extra level. Very interesting issue.

Love reading Crumpies bit about using nitro at Crewe!, no wonder they stuffed the daylights out of the eagles in those days, Eastbourne tried the nitro move in 1972 in a ko cup match, got closer 31-47, but only won at home by 44-34, other than that never got 26, until the last ever meeting and won up there 46-31, mind you the track had changed by then! :) another great issue Tony, keep it going..... and going.....and going....

You know I had thought of subscribing - but at almost $60 for just six issues airmail, I think it's a bit steep, almost Speedway Star Prices :-)

Seriously, the exchange rate is horrible - so for the time being I will have to keep my eyes out for old copies going cheap :-)

Any chance of doing a feature on Terry Betts - someone who rode from the early 60's through to the 8o's ? Why was he so laid back when he could have been a world beater, why every year did he go the BLRC at Hyde Road and score bugger all ? Why did he ride for Reading ? What was his relationship with Martin Rogers and Malcom Simmons like ?

Just a thought. keep up the great work. Got the Berry book by the way, finished it last night, it's just left me wanting more answers!

With all due respect to the Speedway Star SIE Backtrack is an excellent purchase at any exchange rate :approve:

If I could guarantee I would get them back I'd send mine out for you to have a look at (not with the way Royal Mail is dealing with eBay at the moment though :angry::wink: )

Edited by shazzybird

Dont get complacent Tony-you havent visited the Exeter forum since issue 4!!!!

Ive only got up to three but will be subscribing from 4 up for a year now I got a bit of money -expect a phonecall in the next couple of days!!!!

My Backtrack arrived today (Tuesday) and is the best yet. Great interviews with Crumpie (senior) and Dag Lovaas and Ron Preston - simply the best read around form70s/80s fans nlike me

Have you forgot to send mine off.Usually get mine before lots back home but nothing this time :( Can understand a brown envelope going the other way getting tampered with but not from England to Hamburg surely ;)