British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest BARMYARMY

HACKNEY HAWKS

Guest cheetahhawk
Hmmmmm just as long as no-one tells Mr Russell things should go to plan then this time ;) See you all there xx Supposed to have a christening that day but invite not arrived yet just been mentioned in the pub so it's hard luck I know where I'm gonna be :roll: and it's not church :!:

I thought that all tracks were our churches Shazzy :lol:

Good point there CH think maybe I should get them to have the kid christened @ our Holy Shale :!: With a cup of Speedway "Holy" Tea ;) excellent idea :lol::lol::lol:

Guest SteveC

I can't believe that I've only just discovered this site :D

I'm 23 years old, and, a massive Hackney fan. I went regularly throughout the late 80's and until they closed. I also attended every London Lions meeting in 1996.

My favourite riders were Andy Galvin and Steve Schofield

I'm going to be looking on here regularly, and, I look forward to sharing more memories with all of you :)

Welcome abourd SteveC and happy posting.

Do you go and watch anyone these days or are you currently 'lost' to the live stuff?

Guest SteveC
Welcome abourd SteveC and happy posting.

Do you go and watch anyone these days or are you currently 'lost' to the live stuff?

Unfortunately, I am currently lost to the live stuff ;-), although I am hoping to get along to Wimbledon at some point. I watch the stuff on Sky and I read the Speedway Star every week.

I'm sure born_2b_mad and the other Wimbledon 'regulars' will make you very weclome when you go!

Guest cheetahhawk

Nice to see another Hackney fan on here SteveC.As my nickname says Cheetahhawk you might guess that I am now an Oxford supporter but beleive me nothing compares to "make it a date,Friday at eight" down at Hackney.Incidently did you see the news at 6.30pm tonight?It was all about the Olympics bid but was coming from The London Stadium Hackney.I could cry when I saw the mess it has become :cry: ,lets hope that the Olympic bid is successful and some enterprising promoter then takes over when the Olympics are finished. :)

Don't forget the Vic Harding meeting at Iwade on 29th June,hope you can make it down there.

Beat me to it CH......saw it on the Ten O Clock news....boo hoo

but......

ideas spring to mind about the other areas they need around there...Hockey stadium, etc...... but i don't think the 80,000 Seater will host a team do you?

maybe a GP venue....but it will be like the old White City...60,000 capacity and filled to the brim with air!!!

But never say never!

Olympics in London.......hmmmm...need to be alot of changes to the old place!

It's 29th June now

what happened to 1st June ?

It's 29th June now

what happened to 1st June ?

June 1st is the 3tt at Sittingbourne....

June 29th is the Vic Harding memorial.

I believe it was moved because Vics family couldn't make the 1st

Guest SteveC
Nice to see another Hackney fan on here SteveC.As my nickname says Cheetahhawk you might guess that I am now an Oxford supporter but beleive me nothing compares to "make it a date,Friday at eight" down at Hackney.Incidently did you see the news at 6.30pm tonight?It was all about the Olympics bid but was coming from The London Stadium Hackney.I could cry when I saw the mess it has become :cry: ,lets hope that the Olympic bid is successful and some enterprising promoter then takes over when the Olympics are finished. :)

Don't forget the Vic Harding meeting at Iwade on 29th June,hope you can make it down there.

Yeah, I saw the pictures of the London Stadium on the news, it's so sad to see it in such a state. Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know or remember if the old well under the centre green is still there ?, if so, I wouldn't fancy building anything on that :D

Does anyone know or remember if the old well under the centre green is still there ?, if so, I wouldn't fancy building anything on that  :D

Not putting any cats amongst the pigeons, but Cradley is built on disused mine shafts and Barretts are still keen.

Did the London Lions get much support? I never actually went for a league meeting. Seems strange really I'm pretty sure the support would be just as big as Wimbledon's potential.

Did the London Lions get much support?

The crowds at Waterden Road were "extremely disappointing", but it has to be said that the promotion could have been better. People living only a few miles from the track were unaware that speedway had returned.

Guest BARMYARMY

friday at eight(hackney speedway) by chris fenn, just wanted to say this book is a absolute must for any hackney speedway fans or fans in general. loads of memories some sad some brilliant. fantastic value. happy reading.

Guest cheetahhawk
The crowds at Waterden Road were "extremely disappointing", but it has to be said that the promotion could have been better. People living only a few miles from the track were unaware that speedway had returned.

Sadly thats seems to be how speedway is (not) promoted these days, the amount of people in Newport who say we had a speedwya team once or where is the stadium is unbelievable! They all do there shopping a 5 minute walk from the stadium as well! At least we do have some signs up now.

This might be stupid, infact it almost certainly is, what going into this new stadium when the olympics ahve finished? Sod all I would guess so why not use it for speedway? Ok, it'll never be full, half full, well not much passed the front row realistically BUT in a plush stadium people may just go an watch speedway there for £13. It coudl then be used for the GP, the 4TT the British Final, Riders Championships and anything else they can fit in with the avaliable dates if it all starts to work.

Obviously this requires the government allowing a promoter the rent the stadium on the cheap but surely very little money from a speedway promoter once a week is better than nothing form anyone?

How right you are SCB,we were saying exactly the same thing when they first announced the news that London was going to bid for the Olympics.

I wonder how many people living near to any present day tracks realise that they have a speedway team on their doorstep,these days the "promoters" are only too happy to leave it to the supporters to bring a mate.All my mates are speedway people and I try as hard as I can to get other people interested,work etc but you can't force people to come and see the best sport in the world. :-(