British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Papa Bazarou

SGP of Europe - Chorzow Poland 17th May

Your secret is safe with me. :)

Not the one about what she left in Bart's bed I hope. :clown

I cannot believe what i read sometimes people moaning about the GP tracks, dirt doesnt always make for good racing, a slightly banked track would make a lot of differance instead many are flat or have adverse cambers which will always make the quickest way, round the line hence the blue groove (much mentioned by Mr Tatum) which gives grip like you wouldnt believe!! Yes some of the man made tracks are not the best i will agree but Benfields are trying to get them into major city stadiums to show that speedway is not a little back yard sport to prospective sponsors media agencies etc, also the logistics to put people up in major cities is a lot easier. Hey dont get me wrong it aint perfect but its the best we got at the moment so until someone comes along and has a better way of laying tracks we have to put up with it. You will always see some processional races every meeting but you will also always see some very good ones speedway is a sprint sport over in less than 60 sec sit and watch F1 if you wanna talk about boring.Had my say feel better now (as he steps off his soap box!!!)

just got round to reading this post again...

what you say about the shape of the track is dead right... it's not all about dirt on the surface, it's about having banking and a means of passing, but you have to agree they both have to be there for good racing..

also what you say about Benfield taking the circus to big cities and trying to encourage media interest.. fully agree with it..Cardiff has to be better for watching than Kings Lynn for example. but then Lynn has better racing!

If you are blinkered into thinking nice big venues is going to attract sponsorship etc you are not quite right.. what is going to attract sponsorship is exposure to an audience. if the racing is crap (which it tends to be on these 1 day tracks), the audience will dwindle along with money and interest.

we could all go on for ages and argue for ages i am sure, but to me the fact remains Benfield is both killing the sport as well as building it.

my worry is that they are building it for the short term (their profit), and will suffer in the future due to a lack of competitive racing and the future supporters thinking 'first out of the gate will win'... won't go and watch that

Your secret is safe with me. :)

Not the one about what she left in Bart's bed I hope. :clown

You know posts like that could give people completely the wrong idea :? :lol:

Thanks for the return of said item, LW - no wouldn't have suited Bart anyway,

and thanks for my first Birthday Card - which I will put away safely until next week :)

Guest Sir Lunchalot

I read that some people think the Loram situation creates a precedent .. in fact wasn't the precedent set last year in Sydney regarding the same gentleman ?

I seem to recall Loram went all the way to Sydney but was ruled unfit to ride due to internal bleeding in his back and was given one point (?) even though he didn't take his place in the field. I am certain there were two heats early on when only three riders arrived at the tapes.

For the record I believe that riders should not get "gifted" points .. either they are fit enough to ride and do or they are unfit and are replaced, simple as that. If the doctors decide a rider isn't fit then bad luck !!

I'm English and want to see Loram do well but:

Couldn't imagine them awarding points if it had been a lesser rider unable to take his place.

Rules have to be applied equally to all and we're entitled to see 4 riders in a race.

Lol,, LT :lol:

But positive thinking did work ...