British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

BOBBY SCHWARTZ

Bobby Schwartz is our 'main man' in issue 6, to be published at the end of this month.

One of the most successful and popular of the Americans who raced in Britain in the late 70s and through most of the 80s, 'Boogaloo' has given Brian Burford a great, new major interview exclusively for Backtrack.

Bobby, now 48, talks candidly about:

The memory of his dad and why he wore his name on his leathers.

Early days at Cradley Heath and a dodgy B&B he shared with buddy, Bruce Penhall.

His friendship and rivalry with double world champion Penhall and the vow 'Boog' made to him at Irwindale one night.

His World Pairs successes with Penhall and Dennis Sigalos – the pits shenanigans among the Danes and Poles in Poland in '81, and then why the Americans had such a big advantrage over their rivals at Sydney in '82.

The reason why he thinks Penhall really decided to quit England.

His best-ever season at Reading when 'Racers' were champs in 1980.

Why the fans and management turned against him and why he "couldn't care less’’ by the time he left the Smallmead club.

Happy days at Eastbourne.

Personal tragedy and the horror of seeing his mate, Denny Pyeatt, killed at Hackney. Bobby relives his shocking ordeal, including the note he found in Denny's trouser pocket...

The truth about being arrested (with Kelly Moran) for possessing drugs at Heathrow in 1983.

What Bobby really thinks of himself as a rider.

What he's doing now...and more.

Let us hear your memories of Bobby Schwartz via this messageboard...

More news on what's in store in issue 6 to follow soon...

Let us hear your memories of Bobby Schwartz via this messageboard...

we used to call him the 'Chunky Junkie' due to his size and erm ... well you know

I can remember as a kid when he came and rode at Canterbury at some stage him sitting on the pit wall chatting to all of us kids.

Something about them Blond Americans :approve:

I was a wee nipper when he was at his peak and he was always ready and willing for an autograph or a picture. I think he was someone who genuinely cared about the fans.

...and always has a new joke or two when he sees you !! Great guy --and still a damn good rider !!

One more thing I remember...he's probably the only rider I know of to describe Belle Vue's Hyde Road as one of his least favourite tracks....not a lot of people know that. :wink:

The night he guested for Hackney at home against Cradley in 1981, Cradley chasing their first league championship with Boogaloo's best Buddy leading the way for the Heathens.

One particular race where Bobby scored a great big 0 springs to mind....and Cradley took the narrow victory.

No coincidence either that Bobby continued to be very popular at Dudley Wood after his forced departure to Reading after the1979 season due to the 50 point rule.

mmm, a mighty score of 3, and a 40-38 win for CH....dodgy!!

I remember Easty 40-38 Robins in 1984...blatantly touched the tapes, race brought back with Crumpy in a match winning lead. Hey presto 5-1 Easty in he re-run and a two point win. He then had the neck to come over and gloat in fornt of the Swindon throngs!!

Also, a running battle with Henry Hitch over the Golden Helmet at Blunsdon one night in '85 i think.

Couldn't abide him as a rider :mad:

Edited by frigbo

I don't know why because he never did anything wrong in particular I just could not take to the guy.