British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

HOT TOPIC (1) - Past BLRC finals

In conjunction with the site administrators, we have agreed to nominate a HOT TOPIC at regular intervals, covering more general subjects and issues for fans from all over the country to debate. The difference, though, is that your views - or at least the best ones posted on here - will be reproduced in a future issue of Backtrack Magazine. It's a two-way thing - the forum site gets wider recognition through the pages of the magazine, hopefully creating awareness among those of our readers who are not yet visitors to this brilliant internet forum; while the mag will hopefully gain more subscribers/readers who want to see their names and views in print and then love Backtrack so much, they just have to buy every issue! Simple, eh?

Right, enough of all that waffle... The first subject we want to hear from you about is the British League Riders' Championship (we'll cover the NLRC another day). Please share your great memories of this once annual classic meeting with us all - but not just the racing and any track incidents you particularly recall, but the occasion itself - the day out at Belle Vue; visit to the zoo; the cameraderie of the fans who filled Hyde Road, etc, etc.

What was your favourite memory from past BLRC finals (and we're talking the 'Backtrack years' of 1965 to 1989 here, folks). Perhaps it was that epic duel between the veteran John Louis and Bruce Penhall in 1979? Or the night Kenny Carter threw it away when he stopped while leading after just three laps, thinking the race had ended? Maybe it was one of Briggo's six wins in a row in the 60s, or a glory night for Mauger, Olsen or PC?

The great thing about printing your comments posted here in Backtrack, is that the feature on our pages will be enhanced by pictures from these great, old meetings. Sadly, we can't get the old Belle Vue back, or perhaps not even recapture the prestige of the BLRC for future stagings, but no-one can stop us wallowing in pure nostalgia and great times past...

So c'mon....and thanks for your contributions.

Edited by tmc

I can't believe the lack of response to this thread.

Truly one of if not the best speedway related days out I've ever had.

I went to my first BLRC in the early seventies, and last one in 1981, what an experience, arriving in Manchester around lunch time, strolling around the zoo and funfair until the early evening, mixing with fellow fans from all over the UK.

The go cart track was a hive of activity and I do recall Newport fans draped in Welsh flags racing around, pretending to be Phil Crump. It was around this time I had my first "flume ride"

Then into the stadium to watch the action at what was probably the best track in the world, you could see the roller coaster going round from inside the stadium, fantastic atmosphere.

Then after the meeting you could wonder round the fair once more, and if you were old enough have a swift one in the pub.

The complete day out.

Personal memories of the racing;

PC's battles with Olsen etc

A race( run off?) between Shawn Moran and Chris Morton

Steve Bastables rostrum placing in the pouring rain (1978?)

The likes of Howard Cole and Johnny Boulger struggling for a very young Cradley fan.

Seeing my green and white bobble hat in a photo that appeared in the speedway press around 1974, it was a photo of the start of a race, Olsen had broken the tapes when up against Ivan Mauger, and there I was in the back ground, still got the pics in my scrap book.

Edited by BrizHeathen

The 1972 meeting still rates as one of my two or three favourites. In those days ai was an all ticket affair. The meeting was highly prestigious and the field was stronger than that of the World Final. We arrived midday and raced on the go-karts. The big dipper was obligatory only so you could catch a glimpse of the track. We went in the stadium very early and stood on the first turn, right up against the fence. We took a white sheet on which we had painted OLE. This had two purposes: to show our support and to protect ourselves as the riders went past. There were no deflectors in those days!

As a young teenager I was still mightily upset that Olsen had lost his World Title at Wembley the month before. He was head and shoulders above everyone else but an inexplicable fall on the first turn left him on 12 points and Ivan won (after a run off) on 13. I knew that the BLRC was an opportunity for Ole to make a point.

In those days Olsen was an awful gater. His five rides that night were awesome. He won each one, coming from behind in each. I remember his clash with Mauger as Ivan pulled up on the back straight moments after Olsen went round him.

It is a little sad that nowadays this meeting is more of an inconvenience than a prestige event.

In 1972 there were number 1s that did not even get into the meeting! We had a much bigger league in those days and only the top 16 qualified.

My other recollection of that day is of Poole fans who were there in numbers and were vociferous in their support for Malcolm Simmons. I remember feeling a bit sorry for them because he had no chance of winning.

Thanks for the opportunity to reminisce.

Guest cheetahhawk

I always used to look forward to these meetings at Belle Vue.It was the perfect way to finish the season.

My biggest memory is of one time in the early 70's ,my hubby(who was then just my boyfriend) my auntie and uncle went to Manchester by train from London.It was raining all the way up and when we got to the track we found the meeting had been rained off,we were gutted.We had to wait till past midnight for our train back so wandered around the rain sodden fairground and then back to Piccadilly station.We weren't the only speedway people that travelled by train that night as we met a lot of Cradley fans at the station and they were as wet and dissapointed as we were. I wonder if those same Cradley fans still go to speedway now as they like us lost their track?

The following season we went to Manchester on the Hackney coach and guess what it was raining again but not enough to rain the meeting off.

We stood with some friends on the 2nd bend and by the end of the meeting we looked as if we had been riding on the track, we were that dirty.Good job we weren't travelling by train that time as I don't think we'd have been allowed on the train.I can't really remember very much about the racing as we were trying to dodge the flying wet shale too much.I know that our rider, Bengt Jansson didn't get very points that time but we were pleased just to see a meeting as the weather was so horrible.

It's a shame that the old Belle Vue has gone as I have so many happy memories from those days.It was always a good night out even if our wonderful weather used to try to ruin it.

Only ever attend one meeting the Louis/ Penhall, an absolute great meeting with the ubnderdog Louis beating the great Penhall.

Despite standing on the terraces at the Shay for 20 years and witnessing many a great meeting there, plus world finals and other big meetings, my most potent speedway memories of all are of the BLCR at Bell Vue.

I saw about 5 on the trot starting in 1968. Eric Boocock almost won but it was the amazing Barry Briggs who romped home in that one and seemingly every one after that!

These meetings were simply fantastic and magical. Fans from every track in the country, a superb atmosphere and the whole thing taking place in the best stadium and on the best track in the world.

The funfair afterwards with what was then the most fearsome roller coaster ride in the country, 'The Bobs'. Anyone remember that?

Riding the scenic railway and looking down into the stadium from a high vantage point and seeing the the few remaining fans drifting out of the vast stadium.

The firework display which always took place on Saturday night.

Incredible and indelible memories.

These were very special times and Belle Vue was a very special place!

Despite standing on the terraces at the Shay for 20 years and witnessing many a great meeting there, plus world finals and other big meetings, my most potent speedway memories of all are of the BLCR at Bell Vue.

I saw about 5 on the trot starting in 1968.  Eric Boocock almost won but it was the amazing Barry Briggs who romped home in that one and seemingly every one after that!

These meetings were simply fantastic and magical.  Fans from every track in the country, a superb atmosphere and the whole thing taking place in the best stadium and on the best track in the world.

The funfair afterwards with what was then the most fearsome roller coaster ride in the country, 'The Bobs'. Anyone remember that?

Riding the scenic railway and looking down into the stadium from a high vantage point and seeing the the few remaining fans drifting out of the vast stadium.

The firework display which always took place on Saturday night.

Incredible and indelible memories.

These were very special times and Belle Vue was a very special place!

Yeah Belle Vue now just does not have the same attraction.

1968 was the first one I saw, I remember Briggo won it, and the result rested on one of the last races, when Briggo, Toby Harrysson and Ivan Maugerall had 11 points, Toby fell and Briggo passed Ivan on the last bend, then Soren Sjosten beat the previously undefeated Eric Boocock, to force the run - off which Briggo won.

A great meeting, amazing atmosphere. The place was packed , I had to watch the meeting sat on my Dad's shoulders.

Well, come on then...thanks to those who have taken the trouble, but there must be another million of you out there who are keeping those magic memories of past BLRC nights at Hyde Road locked away from us all!

Share those memories with us...please!!!

A race( run off?) between Shawn Moran and Chris Morton

Remember that one in 81, what a cracker! I was just a wee nipper and my family had only just started going to the speedway occasionally.

The season ended for us by going to the BLRC and then the the final league match of the year at Halifax against the Aces, with the firework display and everything. Needless to say, we became full-timers the nest season.

Also remember Kenny Carter stuffing Dennis Sigalos into the pit turn fence in 82 - a bit of revenge on the Yanks after Penhall had stuffed him in LA... :wink: