British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest BARMYARMY

Come Back of all Come Backs

Guest BARMYARMY

halifax v hackney at the shay, it was when hackney was runners up to reading racers in the british league. i think it was something like four 5-1s and a 3-3 in the last 5 heats to hackney. final score halifax 38 v hackney 39. im sure this made history. anyway anybody got the team line ups and heat by heat details. or can anyone remember this superb match. dont think it was on video. many thanks

Guest cheetahhawk
halifax v hackney at the shay, it was when hackney was runners up to reading racers in the british league. i think it was something like four 5-1s and a 3-3 in the last 5 heats to hackney. final score halifax 38 v hackney 39. im sure this made history. anyway anybody got the team line ups and heat by heat details. or can anyone remember this superb match. dont think it was on video. many thanks

I was at this match along with my other half and a friend who at that time was a Wimbledon fan,she was convinced before the meeting that Hackney were going to win and we rather foolishly thought she'd gone mad. If I remember right it was one very happy coachload of Hackney fans on the way home that night.

Most of the points that night were scored by Zenon Plech,Roman Jankowski,Bo Petersen and Finn Thomsen.I think that Barry Thomas,Keith White and Sean Willmott got one point between them.It was a brilliant comeback by the four scoring riders and has been a talking point ever since.I do have the programme somewhere but as I have moved house twice since then I can't be sure what I have done with it. when I get time I will look for it and post the line ups on here unless someone else has got the programme,I'm sure that there are some others on here that were at The Shay that night.

Maybe not quite as dramatic but I remember a match around 1987 where King's Lynn were leading at Swindon by 12 points and the Robins come back to win 43-35.

The best comeback I ever saw was at the County Ground in 1991.

Exeter were 27-9 up v Arena after 6 heats.

Arena went on to win the match 46-44!!!!

The Halifax vs Hackney match was, as a Halifax fan, probably the most painful speedway experience of my childhood :cry:

I didn't go to the match that night but as I lived across the road from the track I sat outside my house on the wall with a writing pad & wrote down the scores as they happened. I couldn't believe the turnaround & could've cried :cry:

The most amazing turn round I have seen since was at Coventry in the early to mid nineties, I have the video somewhere. It was Bradford against Cov. Bradford were something like 14 points down after 7 heats & we came back to win by 12 points I think. :lol:

Haven't got the programme to hand, but I seem to recall that a Hackney rider, I think it was Bo but could be mistaken, pushed home for a point in an early 5-1 reverse.

Hackney ........ the first place I ever tried Southern Fried Chicken :!: and many a good childhood memory :!: :!:

halifax v hackney at the shay, it was when hackney was runners up to  reading racers in the british league. i think it was something like four 5-1s and a 3-3 in the last 5 heats to hackney. final score halifax 38 v hackney 39. im sure this made history. anyway anybody got the team line ups  and heat by heat details. or can anyone remember this superb match. dont think it was on video. many thanks

86 at cov on a wet and deep track, swindon 12 down after 4 heats but kai neimi comes in and gets team to change sprocket and then after that rip cov apart bar rick miller who was the only one who could ride the track ( no surprise seeing cov sunk on a grippy track is it?)

end result 12 point win for swindon......

The most amazing turn round I have seen since was at Coventry in the early to mid nineties, I have the video somewhere. It was Bradford against Cov. Bradford were something like 14 points down after 7 heats & we came back to win by 12 points I think.  :lol:

YES, YOUR RIGHT! ha ha! And we were without paul Pickering, who didnt turn up and Havelock, who was injured!

I remember Sheffield being 10 points down after 4 heats at Wolverhampton once, and winning 45 - 33, think it was about 1985.

YES, YOUR RIGHT! ha ha! And we were without paul Pickering, who didnt turn up and Havelock, who was injured!

I'd forgotten about Pickers not being there & I think we must've had a guest for Havvy :?: I remember Rene Aas & Andre Compton riding at reserve & getting a 5-1 in Ht 8 to start the comeback. Can't remember who they beat in that race but it mite've bin Brian Andersen :?: Got a feeling Shane Bowes was riding for Cov then as well :!:

Guest BARMYARMY

just wondered if anyone had the team line ups, point scorers, heat by heat details halifax 38 v hackney 39 ( just wondered if cheetahawks come acrossed his programme) or anyone else have the details. many thanks

( just wondered if cheetahawks come acrossed his programme)

you had better ask her :D

just wondered if anyone had the team line ups, point scorers, heat by heat details halifax 38 v hackney 39 ( just wondered if cheetahawks come acrossed his programme) or anyone else have the details. many thanks

Halifax 38

Ian Cartwright 5:5:2

Kenny Carter 5:9:0

Merv Janke 4:4:0

Craig Pendlebury 3:2:1

Mick McKeon 4:6:1

Piotr Pyszny 5:12:1

Hackney 39

Finn Thomsen 5:11:0

Barry Thomas 2:0:0

Zenon Plech 5:14:1

Bo Petersen 5:8:2

Sean Willmott 2:0:0

Keith White 2:0:0

Roman Jankowski 5:6:2

Why did I know you'd come up with that, kev?