Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Nevs

Rip Alan Cowland

Seems its only bad news to report this week. :cry:

After posting about Goog Hoskin's death earlier in the week I now have to report that Alan Cowland-A falcons regular in the sixties died on Tuesday.

Rip Alan

Sad to hear :( .Remember him,and think he was well thought of here in Germany.Wasn't he one of the first Brits along with R.Mouncer who came out to ride in the Bundesliga?

Guest cheetahhawk

This is sad news.

I remember watching Alan race at Wimbledon in the 60's and he always seemed to try really hard and was entertaining,nice man too.

RIP Alan

Yes, very sorry to hear that. I met him once in a pub near Hackney speedway after a meeting. He seemed a nice bloke. Although Terry Ripo might not agree as I believe he once kicked in the door to the announcer's box at Mildenhall after a disagreement with the referee!!!

Wasn't he one of the first Brits along with R.Mouncer who came out to ride in the Bundesliga?

I believe he was - according to ' Who's Who of World Speedway ' he rode for Bopfingen in 1973, and spoke German, as well as French and Czech. Quite a talent. He was only 61 - a very sad and untimely passing. :(

I can remember Alan riding at Canterbury, for Hull if my memory serves me right. He was always value for money and a good entertainer who will be sadly missed.

Condolences to family and friends.

Edited by Kevin Hammond

I was going to ask how old he was but now I know - almost four years younger than me - so an awful shock for his family and friends.

I saw him at the Leicester Reunion in November last year and he looked pretty fit then. It was Bruce Forrester who unfortunately was having some health problems.

I took this photo of Alan and Bruce. R.I.P Alan.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/243463...260799911zRCbTe

Edited by Gemini

Sorry to hear of this terrible news, I think I saw him riding but not sure, but always upseting to hear of a rider passing away at a relatively young age.

Very sorry to hear this. A very hard rider but decent enough to break off and sign an autograph for a young kid (me). He seemed a good guy.

I'll always remember the smile, the white leathers, always nudging the fence with his front wheel before a racestart (loose forks?), and losing his temper a lot. Magic.

Drove a left hooker white Beemer with German plates even in 76/77 and advertised his BMW spares bizz in Motoring News in the 80's.

Too blooming young to leave us.

Very sad start to the new year. Alan was a true gent,always had time to speak to the fans which every track he raced.He always gave 101% to the sport.

A great loss to his friends and family

So sorry to hear about Alan's untimley death.

First met him whilst in the twilight of his career at Hull.

He was a real down to earth, done that , guy

My deepest sympathy goes to Alans family at this time.

R.I.P.

I have fond memories of Alan as a Hull rider in the early 70's. Remember his white BMW with the German plates and his bike strapped to the back well. He always had time for the fans and always gave us a wave when he arrived at the away tracks.

RIP Alan and sincere condolences to his family at this sad time. :sad:

Edited by Hipflask

ON BEHALF OF THE COWLAND FAMILY I WOULD LIKE TO THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KIND WORDS.IT IS A GREAT SOURCE OF COMFORT AT THIS DIFFICULT TIME TO KNOW THAT DAD WAS SO WELL LIKED AND TOUCHED THE LIVES OF SO MANY. CRAIG COWLAND.

Thank you Craig.

Our hearts go out to you at this sad time and I hope it is of some comfort to know that a lot of people are thinking about you all.

Take care.

Heartfelt condolences to you and your family Craig.

I used to enjoy watching Alan race.. He will be sadly missed. :(