Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hot Shoe

The Last Jap Engined Machine?

Anyone know what rider was the last to regularly use a JAP engined machine in the British or National League?

Even better, who was the last rider to WIN a BL or NL race on a JAP engined machine!

There seemed to be a lot of loyalty by some riders to keep using the JAP engine when it was fast becoming out dated by the Jawas and ESOs and even when Weslakes and Jawas with Briggo and Street 4 valve conversions were becoming popular there were still a few JAPs out there.

I seem to remember seeing a JAP (4B?) in the pits at the White City the first time i ever saw a Weslake (Richard Greer's?) in the 70s.

In Backtrack mag it mentioned Dag Lovaas staying with the JAP at White City(76).Maybe what you saw

In Backtrack mag it mentioned Dag Lovaas staying with the JAP at White City(76).Maybe what you saw

Thanks for the info - Seems that Dag Lovaas must have been about the last rider to stick with JAPs.

That is of course if anyone knows otherwise!

Stan Stevens won his last race (for Mildenhall) in July 76 when he retired to be replaced by Alan Cowland. Stan always rode JAP.

I believe there was a Crayford rider who had one too (Sage?)

Bob Coles talked of a four valve Jap like a Neil Street conversion but I don't think that ever happened.

Believe Graham Jones of Berwick was still riding JAPs in the late 70s/early 80s.

Mike Broadbank apparently had a 4-valve JAP conversion when riding for Newport in the NL which some of the Bristol boys nicknamed the "Threshing Machine" ! :)

Believe Graham Jones of Berwick was still riding JAPs in the late 70s/early 80s.

I thought all JAPs had disappeared from the Speedway scene by the mid-late 70s.

I'd love someone to confirm that there was still one about in the 80s......I'll have to sit down and think about this! :)

I remember Mike Broadbank trying a 4 valve jap conversion built by Bob Kilby when he rode for the Dragons in 1977, I dont think it lasted a race !!! Mike raced the season on a 2 valve jap engine, and I think he boasted a near 7 point average. I belive Dave Jessup tried out a jap in the 80's, not sure about that one though .

I remember Mike Broadbank trying a 4 valve jap conversion built by Bob Kilby when he rode for the Dragons in 1977, I dont think it lasted a race !!! Mike raced the season on a 2 valve jap engine, and I think he boasted a near 7 point average.  I belive  Dave Jessup tried out a jap in the 80's,  not sure about that one though .

Fairly sure that the JAP 4V was a reality, and that Bob Humpheries used them with varying degrees of success when with Reading.

I'd love someone to confirm that there was still one about in the 80s......I'll have to sit down and think about this! :)

I thought it was even earlier than that.

I thought it was even earlier than that.

There was a JAP motor used regularly in the British League in 1976 (mid-70s?).

Any advance on 1976?

The last rider to win a race on a JAP engine could be Mike Broadbank, sometime in October 1977, Newport V Eastbourne, the last ever meeting at the old Somerton Park track. I do know Mike won a race that night, but I cant remember much else apart frm the fact that Newport lost. ( Nothing changes :(:( )

I watch some of the vetrans races they put on at Newport, and I 'd love to see some of todays stars riding those old JAPS, I wonder if some of them could cope !

Doesn't the Norwich track spare belong to Ginger ? who I've seen at Powderhall and Armadale.

When Rye Hosue held the 75 year meeting (Feb/March 2002?), the rider had to ride the old bikes, I'm sure someone whow as there can tell us what rider did best. I know Scott Nicholls pulled out as Ipswich were not keen on him riding strange bikes, well that was the official excuse.

I watch some of the vetrans races they put on at Newport, and I 'd love to see some of todays stars riding those old JAPS,  I wonder if some of them could cope !

I remember watching Tom Brown ride one of the vet's bikes at Newport a couple(?) of seasons ago - whether it was a JAP I don't know - but it was great to see it going round at a decent speed. Perhaps Tom or Terry can fill in the details?