British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hot Shoe

The First Eso/jawa

No,just thought it might have given a date.He rode for Middlesbrough 63 -64 when it is possible he was the first if the date for Ove is wrong in 61.But if we are talking 65 then it doesn't seem right as Briggo say's Ove had already ridden one before 65? Wondering if one of the Polish riders who came over had one,Zyto,Teodorowicz ?

:blink:

Bit too hard for ya? Seeing as the man with the technical web-site had already said Ove rode one in 61.Either he is wrong or VSM is wrong.When did Butterfield first ride for Newcastle?

Have to get Jim Blanchard to ask Ove if he remembers when he first rode one i guess

Edited by iris123

Guest Jim Blanchard
Have to get Jim Blanchard to ask Ove if he remembers when he first rode one i guess

Part of email sent to Ove this very afternoon. ;)

"PS. One question please Ove, what year did you first ride Eso/Jawa machines.

Will advise as soon as I hear back from Ove. He tends to read emails about 4pm every day, when he reads the French, Swedish, English newspapers. Should know about 5pm tomorrow if he is not gone on one of his trips of course in his new Saab or BMW motor bike.

Edited by Jim Blanchard

As mentioned above, anyone remember what Henryk Zyto was riding at Coventry in 1960?

Speaking of early users of the Jawa/ESO,

http://speedwaybikes.fortunecity.net/esostory.htm

offers this from 1957:

"The speed and reliability of the ESO speedway machine drew attention also of foreign riders, many of whom are now riding these machines. Of the best known are K.Killmeyer, Kupczinski, Anderson, Siegi, Seemander, Craighead and Bishop must be mentioned" (1957)

Meaning Karl Kilmeyer, Edward Kupczynski, Henry Andersen (?), Georg Siedl or Albin Seigl and Rune Sormander I guess, the only Criaghead I can think of is Roy and Phil Bishop?

Can anyone add any more info on the last two?

Interesting bit in Chum Taylor's book saying he went to Prague in early 66 and there was a 14 day waiting list to get into the factory.He wanted to pick up some spares for his bike,but left without getting to the place.

I thought that Ivan was trying them out 64/65. I knew Briggo was also riding them at the time and they originally were not very reliable. Ivan used to use them for 1 ride per home meeting and for a while his scores were ef,3,3,3.

:blink::blink:

Edited by Tsunami

Guest Jim Blanchard

Received from Ove today.

"The first time I rod ESO speedway bike was 1955, the owner of the company, it was still privat, brought a bike to Poland for me to try.

Cheers , Ove"