British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KIWIPIRATE

Handlebars...

It seems that nowadays most riders' handlebars are pretty much the same size and shape. In the 50s and 60s, there seemed to be much more of a variety of handlebar size and shape - ISTR that Nigel Boocock had a quite modest pair (more like the modern ones), but that Tony Lewis sported a prodigous pair of cow horns. Some were very curved, others a lot more angular.

Is this all my imagination? Am I just sad? :shock: :roll: :lol:

over to you Liontamer.. :twisted:

but that Tony Lewis sported a prodigous pair of cow horns. Some were very curved, others a lot more angular.

i know a few girls with some of them...

Cliff Anderson and his golden handlebars come to mind.

Barry Briggs had his own distinctive handlebars. I agree that they are all much shorter now, probably because there are no decent deep grippy tracks now and less effort is needed to turn the bike also you can go through narrower gaps and less chance of catching the fence.

Liontamer? Are you still alive????..

Liontamer? Are you still alive????..

I'm still here. Personally I prefer big long ones, but these days it seems that little straight ones are the norm. I blame global warming. :x

I was watching the 1981 and 83 world finals on video recently and I noticed how Egon Muller's handlebars were raised compared to the much straighter modern designs.

Its before my time but I remember seeing some footage of a Russian team riding in Scotland, they had very distinctive handlebars also.

I think it is true that Muller & the Russians did all have big handlebars. However, I never noticed if they were raised much. :?

Egon Muller's handlebars weren't raised at all it was just the difference in shape.... he basically used the same bars he used on Longtrack

Uhhhhhhhhh......... Liontamer? :) Is it me?......

but that Tony Lewis sported a prodigous pair of cow horns. Some were very curved, others a lot more angular.

i know a few girls with some of them...

Watch out LT you have competition for the Humour title :!: :!: :lol:

Egon Muller's handlebars weren't raised at all it was just the difference in shape.... he basically used the same bars he used on Longtrack

So what you are saying is the different shaped Long Track handlebars weren't positioned higher than conventional bars, ie-raised (the hand is holding the handlebar in a higher position?

I think they were, take a look.

AARRRRGGGHHH!!!! I quit... Just cant take anymore, my sides are about to split... Somebody, anyone..... Please....... I do think this thread has the most potential but really I just cant look anymore......Is it me???