British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
kiwi

World Longtrack Grand Prix Final Round in NZ

Confirmed today

Ivan Mauger has secured the rights for 3 years for round 6 of Longtrack Grand Prix.

November 1 2003 New Plymouth, New Zealand

Pukekura Raceway (Trotting Track)

November 6 2004

November 5 2005

All we need now is Australian and New Zealnad Rounds of the GP to top it off. If this happened it should draw a few visitors to the southern hemisphere.

Ivan Mauger has secured the rights for 3 years for round 6 of Longtrack Grand Prix.

Wonder how many riders will bother to go ?

I would be very surprised if Ivan hadn't done his homework on this... I look forward to a weekend with KP jr. in New Plymouth in November. Let's hope Wato puts in an appearance....

Line Up:

1 Pijper Theo FFM NED

2 SHIRRA Mitch (Wild Card) MNZ NZL

3 KROEGER Matthias DMSB GER

4 Tatum Kelvin ACU GBR

5 TRESARRIEU Stephane FFM FRA

6 ALLEN Oliver (Wild Card) ACU GBR

7 DIENER Bernd DMSB GER

8 WATSON Chris (Wild Card) MA AUS

9 LOEDING Ralf DMSB GER

10 SCHNEIDERWIND Zdenek ACCR CZE

11 Barth Robert DMSB GER

12 WATSON Craig (Wild Card) MA AUS

13 Riss Gerd DMSB GER

14 KARGER Brian DMU DEN

15 TAYLOR Sam (Wild Card) MNZ NZL

16 GROEN Maik KNMV NED

17 JANOSCHKA Enrico DMSB GER

18 BOS Uppie FFM NED

Looking forward to see Mitch ride again!! KPjr was always a big fan of Wato's at Wimborne Rd so we'll be cheering him on. Tickets in the post and looking forward to a weekend in Taranaki

Kiwipirate give Theo Pijper a shout on from us Monarchs fans.....he's a nice lad and we'll be shouting him on from afar!

Wonder how many riders will bother to go ?

if Ivan can sort a couple of other meetings around the GP for the riders then they should be prepared to go, but i can see your point with some of the 'lesser' riders not really getting that option.

maybe it's the reason they are only taking top 13 riders.

bear in mind ivan will be paying for the riders to go over there....

but then the onus falls back on the riders as this is a WORLD championship, not European and they enter with that knowledge

Weather forecast is for morning showers, and then fine, so hopefully the track will be OK. Leaving early tomorrow for the 4.5hr drive, and kpjr has banners for Wato and Theo!! Had a bit of a problem finding a motel unit free, and it sounds as though there will be a big crowd... "Tis Mrs KPs birthday on Sunday, and I'm not sure she is over impressed by her weekend 'treat', but a crayfish/oyster/mussel dinner should see her right...

Have a great time and a safe journey Kiwipirate and hopefully see some good safe racing! Hope Mrs KP enjoys her birthday 8)

Good on KP jnr for doing a Theo flag! :D

Well, the weather held off and we got our first look at longtrack. The crowd was probably around 6-7000, and the track looked superb - banked nicely, though the surrounding (horse) racecourse is flat. With a 4m exclusion zone from the fence this meant spectators without a grandstand seat didn't have such a good view.

The big negative for us was the announcer, who obviously had done his research by watching one GP replay on Sky. Loved the sound of his own voice, but gave just ONE result all afternoon, no times, and although we got the names for each final, no gate/helmet colours. He must have been dropped on his head when he was a baby...

Wato got a surprise when he saw the banner, and we had a quick word with him. Biggest effort of the day was wild card Ollie Allen who made the A Final, only to retire. Wato crashed, but was unhurt, in the C Final which was won by Mitch Shirra on his 1st longtrack meeting. Theo Pijper could only make it to the C Final as well - don't know if he saw the banner!!.

Predictably, it came down to a fight between Robert Barth, Kelvin Tatum and Gerd Riss - Kelvin took the honours in The A Final (and was unbeaten all afternoon from Riss and Barth, the latter taking the World Crown.

Overall impression was positive, and a lot of care was taken with the track (45 min of grading and rolling and watering prior to the Finals!!). As it was our first longtrack, the speed into the corners was eye-popping!!

Hope to get the heat details in due course

Results

A Final: K Tatum (UK) Godden 1, G Riss (Germany) Jawa 2, R Barth (Germany) Godden 3, U Bos (Netherlands) Godden 4, M Krueger (Germany) Godden 5, O Allen (UK) Godden 6 (retd),

Final B: R Loeding (Germany) Godden 1, B Diener (Germany) Jawa 2, S Tressarrieu (France) Godden 3, Z Schneiderwind (Czech Republic) Jawa 4, M Groen (Netherlands) Godden 5, B Karger (Denmark) Jawa 6.

Final C(re-run): M Shirra (NZ) Jawa 1, E Janoschka (Germanty) Godden 2, T Pijper (Netherlands) Gooden 3, Chris Watson (Australia) G odden 4, S Taylor (NZ) Jawa 5, Craig Watson (Australia) Masek (fell) 6.

Final world championships points: Barth 131, Tatum 120, Riss 98.

Races were all over by the first bend, only two races where riders changed postions. I wouldn't go to watch it every week.

Was a good spectacle with the veterans display and should improve next year with more spectators from overseas coming. The War and Sars apparenting affected numbers.

Good to see a few old faces there, people I hadn't seen for twenty years or so.

The War and Sars apparenting affected numbers.

How long are people going to keep using those excuses? Longtrack meetings don't draw than a few thousand even here in Europe, so I'd say that 7,000 wasn't bad at all.

Official attendance awaited, but now put between 8-10,000. Both me and KPjr prefer short track team racing, but I'll certainly go next year (Ivan has the rights for another 2 years, I think) and make more of a weekend of it.

KPjr was always a big fan of Wato's at Wimborne Rd so we'll be cheering him on.

Someone has good taste :)