British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Issue 6

As usual, we have another batch of exclusive interviews and features for your delight! Highlights include:

BOBBY SCHWARTZ – our BIG, 6-pager with the former USA captain, who gives his frankest interview to date. 'Boogaloo' talks about his relationship with Bruce Penhall (inc the vow he made to beat Brucie) and his other World Pairs-winning partner, Dennis Sigalos. He explains the real story behind the infamous 'drugs bust' at Heathrow airport, when he and Kelly Moran were arrested and ended up facing a court fine. Also, Bobby opens his heart to recall the poignant death of his great friend and Reading team-mate, Denny Pyeatt, and why he walked out of a meeting at Hackney a year on from Denny's fatal accident at the same track. What he thinks of the fans who abused him . . . and he reveals the country that asked him and Siggy to 'throw' a race in the World Pairs final at Sydney in 1982. All this and much more from the colourful Californian...

SIMON CROSS – Our second blockbuster . . . we talk to the former England star who reflects on the two big crashes of his turbulent career. First, the four-man pile up at Odsal that ended his Cradley Heath team-mate Erik Gundersen's career; and then the heavy fall in the World Pairs final at Landshut a year later that left 'Crossy' in a coma for five days and came close to leaving him paralysed. Simon also talks, from his new home in southern France, about his early National league days with Oxford and Weymouth, followed by the glory days at Dudley Wood, and what it was like to race in the same team as Erik, Jan O Pedersen, Lance King and the rest. He explains the frustrating end to his career at Coventry and read why he wished he'd quit racing sooner.

TONY DAVEY - An Ipswich legend from the 70s and 80s, Backtrack columnist John Berry - Tony's former promoter at Foxhall - provides a brilliant, and at times sad, insight into the characteristics of the great, little racer we all knew as 'Shrimp', and his great courage in overcoming not just his own serious track injuries but also the personal loss of a loved one.

MARTIN GOODWIN - The former Arena Essex and Rye House 'hard man' talks about his tough guy image and names the other riders he had run-ins with. The fiery Goodwin also looks back at some of his wildest moments, including the night his crash helmet smashed through the window of the referee's box and the food-throwing antics of his Hammers team-mates on a northern tour. Also, why the death of two fellow riders, and personal friends, affected the way he viewed his team-mates from then on.

MICK HINES – Explaining his anger and frustration at becoming one of the last high profile victims of the old rider control system, which forced him to move from his home-town club, Ipswich, to Wimbledon in 1976. He took legal advice over it. Mick also recalls his NL days back in East Anglia with Mildenhall and Peterborough.

ERIC BROADBELT – The much-travelled former England international tells how he he quit speedway to work on the markets of the north-west and now runs his own hardware shop. 'Broady' also looks back at a career spanning a host of clubs, including Belle Vue, Sheffield, Poole, Halifax, Edinburgh and Long Eaton.

NEIL MIDDLEDITCH - Q&A with the Team GB Manager, who looks back at his earliest racing days as a young and hungry Eastbourne Eagle in the early 70s.

Plus...

John Berry presents the first of his three-part, in-depth analysis of the controversial Rider Control rule that cause such furore in the 60s and 70s.

Bert Harkins revives memories of those great Scottish Cup battles between Edinburgh and Glasgow and looks at the roles the Templeton brothers played in those epic clashes.

We've a tribute to the late Alan Cowland, and a profile of another Leicester 'old boy', Bruce Forrester, who is remembered as a legend on Teesside.

Bob Spelta contacted us from Australia to talk about his eventful four seasons with Canterbury in the mid-70s. He reveals how he broke his back for the second time just two years ago.

Hackney fans will doubtless enjoy our 'replay' of their classic 1977 victory over title-chasing Exeter and that momentous match-winning ride by Hawks hero Barry Thomas.

There are more picture quizzes for you to answer, as well as a two-page photo review of that glorious Summer of '76...

Ahh, those golden memories.....

Don't miss 'em! Subscribe today for just £16 in the UK. It's easy...just go online at

http://www.retro-speedway.com NOW!

NOTE: Issue 6 will be mailed out to all subscribers next Monday (Feb 7)...

Edited by tmc

Got my copy this morning :D Subscription time already,that went quick.No problems,if you can maintain this quality for the next year it's money well spent.A little less of the Hawks though ;)

Mine came today too, thanks.

Could you make sure my address says Braunstone Town though and not Branistone please? (I sent you an email a while ago.)

The mag. has arrived safely so far but I don't want to give the post office any chances of losing it. :P

Got mine this morning too,

Amazed at how quickly you got a piece in about Alan Cowland.

If his son Craig doesnt get the magazine could you hold one back please -and Ill try and contact him and see if he would like a copy.

Cheers

John

Got mine yesterday morning, read cover to cover, went and showed my Dad, who commented on the Martin Goodwin Interview and the photo of Paul Muchene .... me I was impressed with what Middlo had to say about Canterbury (I knew I liked him!!! even if he did ride for Eastbourne) & Bob Spelta writing a piece was a lovely step back as well, it's all the things that you can remember as a kid, forgotten later on, then the memory refreshed again.

When my youngest got in the car outside the school yesterday afternoon she asked "mum what are you reading" I replied with "My childhood memories"

Many thanks to TMC & All involved with "Backtrack" Happy First Birthday and many many more.

Great photos of Middlo. :P Now I know why young people are always in hysterics when looking at photos of us when we were younger. :D

Luckily Backtrack is not a colour magazine that hair colour of Middlos still haunts me from when I was a kid! (Bless Him!!! lol)

I guess my postie has knicked mine then.

No sign of yet!! :cry:

Got mine yesterday morning, read cover to cover, went and showed my Dad, who commented on the Martin Goodwin Interview and the photo of Paul Muchene .... me I was impressed with what Middlo had to say about Canterbury (I knew I liked him!!! even if he did ride for Eastbourne) & Bob Spelta writing a piece was a lovely step back as well, it's all the things that you can remember as a kid, forgotten later on, then the memory refreshed again. 

With that Middlo interview, it is poignant now to look at that picture of the 1975 British junior championship 1-2-3, no wonder he considers himself lucky.

It was interesting to read about Eric Broadbelt as well, he still comes to Sheffield from time to time. I remember he wanted to join Sheffield the year he ended up going to Halifax.

Superb read again, loved the Martin Goodwin interview brings the happy memories flooding back

Superb read again, loved the Martin Goodwin interview brings the happy memories flooding back

Rami is that u???? Would be great to hear from you my email address is lisagoodwin22@aol.com

Got mine this morning too,

Amazed at how quickly you got a piece in about Alan Cowland.

If his son Craig doesnt get the magazine could you hold one back please -and Ill try and contact him and see if he would like a copy.

Cheers

John

John,

Craig has been in touch and a copy of issue 6 has been sent to him - thanks for the thought.

TMc

Just finished reading issue 6 from cover to cover, and it continues the high standard set by the other 5. Many congratulations on such a brill mag.

Intrigued to read that Andrew Silver doesn't feel ready to be interviewed yet.

Particularly enjoyed reading Simon Cross's warm memories of his time at Dudley Wood and the photo of Custom House. What a great stadium that was!

Following on from the theme of JB's recent tome, I would be interested to read interviews with other promoters of the time, hopefully they would prove to be as candid as Mr Berry.

I received my copy today.

Had a nice surprise when I noticed a couple of my photos of former Cradley Heath riders on page 10.

Time to re subscribe and I'll definately be doing that.

For those that are interested it is purely coincidental that I met Steve Reinke at Pioneer Park Speedway in North Queensland on Saturday night (turn to page 17 for the relevence of this) Steve was introduced to me by another ex Aussie Crusader who also rode for Oxford, any gusses who he may of been?

The speedway world is small.

Billy Barrett?

P.S. Loved those pics of the old Heathens, especially Sir Bernt.