British Speedway Forum
neil_L

Tommy Knudsen

My good friend gary lent me his copy of the '81 world final recently. It was the 1st time I'd really watched the Wembly world final. I started following the sport properly in '87 and of course was spoilt to follow a very powerful bees team led by TK and KT.

But going back to the '81 world final I was amazed at just how good TK was at such a young age. Of course TK was an insperation at Coventry in the Championship winning yrs and '87 and '88. If it hadn't have been for his dreadful accident just before the '89 season he surely would have landed at least one world crown. It was also a massive blow to Coventry who have never since had such a powerful top 2 riders (both KT and TK were averaging over 10!).

It was very much a case of what might have been.

Anyway, what does TK do these days ? It would be great to have TK make a special appearence at Coventry one racenight this coming year as I know a lot of Coventry fans still have massive respect for him. A lot of ex-riders make visits like rick miller but I don't recall TK ever being a Brandon in recent yrs.

One last mention of the video again, I've often wondered what all the fuss was over one Bruce Penhall ..... (being I was too young to remember seeing him ride) ... and now I know why ! My god this man could RACE a speedway motorcycle.

Come on you oldies on the forum ... lets have your interesting stories as the forum gets a bit dull this time of yr.

The one memory of Tommy Knudsen was when he tried to put Reg Wilson into the fence at Sheffield and got a whack for it when he returing to the pits.

The one memory of Tommy Knudsen was when he tried to put Reg Wilson into the fence at Sheffield and got a whack for it when he returing to the pits.

I remember that too!!! They disappeared into a crowd of people at the pits gate and the next thing, Tommy was back flipping over the gate :shock: We actually had some very fierce rivalry with the Bees at the time.

He was a potential world champion really, but he suffered bad arm injuries in 1982 and 1983 (it may have been an aggravation of the original thing actually), in fact could have gone into 1984 as well, and it put him back years. He certainly had the potential and aggression :rolleyes: for it.

I'm surprised Joanne hasn't seen this thread yet :P

Yep, I'm here Tigerblade. Been asleep all day :approve: after the dentist :sad: and after nights -_-

Tommy Knudsen is my all time hero, Last time I saw him was in a hotel in Copenhagen at breakfast with his son. Doesn't he run a sauna business or something along those lines?

Wouldn't it be brilliant if Tommy came back to Coventry, even just to be a fan :D

Tommy should have won that World Final in 1981 after beating Bruce Penhall. That day I had a jacket on full of Tommy badges, also had a Tommy sweatshirt on. I also remember Tommy beating Bruce in a last heat decider against Cradley. That was the day I met Tommy with Sue Binnell (the fan club secretary, what is she doing now?)

Edited by Joanne

Agree Tommy was a class act and probably slightly ahead of Erik Gundersen at the start of 1981, although Erik made up ground and eventually passed him.

The 1981 Midland Riders Final Run Off between the two was another indication of how good they both were at such a young age.

If I remember correctly Tommy suffered a very serious injury in Australia (can't remember the exact year but 87 springs to mind), added to the ones already mentioned he did have some rotten luck.

Lets not forget he was doing very well in one of the early GP's too, he was absolutely flying before another injury.

Tommy should have won that World Final in 1981 after beating Bruce Penhall.

Am i missing something here!!! Tommy didnt beat bruce so how should he have won this world final?????

But i must admit in my time of watching speedway Tommy was probably the best rider never to become world champion ( along with The Late Kenny Carter who but for tragic circumstances would surely have become world champion - and thats damn hard for a cradley/Penhall fan to admit!!!!)

So many fantastic memories of watching him race, Cov through & through, the one that sticks though is 1979, he was at #7 in the old heat where 2 & 7 raced together, Ivan Mauger was bought in as a tactical & Tommy wiped the floor with him from the tapes.

Pure class even in his first year.

I think his back injury happened in Renmark Australia either 89 or 90, he still came back though.

I remember his comeback meeting, never heard a bigger cheer for a rider passing a 3rd placed rider breaking down :lol:

Would be nice to know what he is doing now, he seems to have disappeared from the speedway world.

One last mention of the video again, I've often wondered what all the fuss was over one Bruce Penhall ..... (being I was too young to remember seeing him ride) ... and now I know why ! My god this man could RACE a speedway motorcycle.

There is no doubting that, what ever you think of him. I was not even born by the time he retired but watching him on videos makes me realise he was simply awesome, just what couldn't he do. Such a shame he quit, as if he had not it is quite possible I'd have been able to see him at his peak (can you imagine him at his peak if thats how good he was at such a young age?!).

Edited by SCB

The stats below are taken from Bees website.

TOMMY KNUDSEN (Denmark) 1979-1988, 1990-1992

M: 531, R: 2358, P: 4986.5, B: 330, T: 5316.5, Average: 9.02, FM: 46, PM: 31

I have a video of him in the World Team Cup where he scored 15pt max. He was absoloutely awesome!!!

In my opinion he was one of the greatest riders to wear the Bees race jacket.

Anyone remember his testimonial meeting when they held a womens race? The rider at the back was soooooo out of control, then at the end of the race the riders helmet came off and it was Tommy.

And to watch him on that night in a match race with Ole was truly memorable.

I have a video of him in the World Team Cup where he scored 15pt max. He was absoloutely awesome!!!

Anyone remember his testimonial meeting when they held a womens race? The rider at the back was soooooo out of control, then at the end of the race the riders helmet came off and it was Tommy.

What about Ole Olsen, surely the best Coventry rider.

Like i said Tommy was one of the greatest riders to wear the Bees race jacket.

Ole was the greatest.

Edited by Dave J

Like i said Tommy was one of the greatest riders to wear the Bees race jacket.

Ole was the greatest.

OOPS sorry misread the thread please accept my appologies.

Apology accepted.

Tommy should have won that World Final in 1981 after beating Bruce Penhall.

Am i missing something here!!! Tommy didnt beat bruce so how should he have won this world final?????

Don't spoil it for me Rami. To me Tommy won that race :approve:

I've watched that race many times and i still say Tommy won it.

Edited by Dave J