Beat the Bookie GP prize competition 2024 Read more... ×
British Speedway Forum
neil_L

Tommy Knudsen

I've watched that race many times and i still say Tommy won it.

Thanks Dave J :) See I'm not going mad :rolleyes:

I've watched that race many times and i still say Tommy won it.

Thanks Dave J :) See I'm not going mad :rolleyes:

No, you're not going mad.

It was close though, no more than a tyre width between them.

I had forgotten all about that until reading these posts, at the time I thought Tommy had just got it although it was damn close.

Edited by Tigerblade

I think it depends on your age tigerblade, some will say Nigel Boocock, some Olsen, some TK.

Although Olsen dragged Cov forwards, I think TK has the edges as a Bees legend, however, I only saw Booey towards the end of his career, so cannot comment on him.

Don't spoil it for me Rami. To me Tommy won that race :approve:

Im sorry to shatter your illusions but i have watched this meeting so many times that ive worn the tape out ( got it transfered to dvd now!!!) and Bruce clearly won the race by a mile!!! lol (nothing to do with me being a cradley fan and Bruce being my all time hero honest)

But as i also said i think In my era of watching speedway Tommy was the best rider never to win a world final, also watched a few videos recently of the coventry v cradley meetings from the early 80s and TK was truly awesome around Brandon ( no where near as good as Erik mind !!!! ;)

Remember him being part of a great Denmark team,but also was involved i think in problems with Ole and Hans.Wasn't there quite a bit of rivalry and tension between the two of them(Hans and Tommy)because Hans thought Tommy was closer to Ole and treated better.But they were all great riders,Hans,Erik,Tommy and Jan :D

Some other stories from the late 80's of interest ...

Remember TK being put in the fence by Paul Thorpe in '87 ? TK stalked Thorpe and made a typical blast around the outside only for Thorpe to spear TK into homestraight fence and he spun round about 2 or 3 times. David Barge had to make an emergency exit onto the infield. The crowd went wild. TK not only got back to his feet a short time later but came out later in the meeting and skillfully returned the complement to Thorpe. I remember walking out of the stadium after the meeting an hundreds of cov fans surrounded Thorpe's van and gave him a good sending off!!!

Also looking back it's been quite amazing how many riders have complemented TK over the yrs. I remember reading David Barge interview when he was at Newcastle saying he was happiest when riding along with TK. Lots of others as well and TK was great with the reserves like dave clarke and andy hacket.

I also remember TK doing a April Fools joke saying he was fedup being overshadowed by the other Danes and was applying for British Citisenship ... it made the Nationals in the UK and apparently went down badly back in Denmark ! It was only a joke and to drum up support for his testimonial.

To be fair, the Danes and overseas riders back then were totally commited to their UK clubs. The riders lived in this country and put a lot into their British clubs and even helped nurture British junior riders. TK when out injured even put his weight behind Kelvin Tatum's bid to win in the 1989 world final by tunning his engines. that's a different story though.

Anyway, keep them stories and memories coming. No prizes for guessing who is my no1 all time rider !

Don't spoil it for me Rami. To me Tommy won that race :approve:

Im sorry to shatter your illusions but i have watched this meeting so many times that ive worn the tape out ( got it transfered to dvd now!!!) and Bruce clearly won the race by a mile!!! lol (nothing to do with me being a cradley fan and Bruce being my all time hero honest)

But as i also said i think In my era of watching speedway Tommy was the best rider never to win a world final, also watched a few videos recently of the coventry v cradley meetings from the early 80s and TK was truly awesome around Brandon ( no where near as good as Erik mind !!!! ;)

Nothing to do with been a Cradley fan !!!! One of the best riders never to win a world title yes I will go along with that.

Tommy K was just special.

He was one of a handful of riders who you would say was unlucky not to win the world title. Watching him during my growing up years, was something that i will keep with me as a speedway memory. His Heat 1, 6 and 10's with David Bargh and Heat 15's with Kelvin were great. Also he team rode with rick Miller extremely well and also the double J.

I remember him winning a couple of the early GP rounds as well, until a broken collarbone (cos of the front wheel spoilers that never took off) putting paid to his chances there as well.

He is certainly a Coventry great

Would be great to see Tommy at Brandon again, guess it`s my age but the team we had with Tommy, Kelvin, Rick, JJ was a dream, they were a "team" not like today with all the changes that happen. They were Coventry through and through and when you watch the video`s back you wish you could go upto brandon once more to see them all again, knowing you had Tommy and Kelvin to go out in heat 15.

Great memories he gave us and such a shame he left coventry a few seasons before he should have.

Be a great idea for the bees website or the telegraph to do a where they are now kind of section. If anyone knows how u can get in touch with tommy or any other riders be great to know what they are doing and get them to join us on the forum.

1 last thing !!!!

I hate that new Bee design !! give us back the fighting bee

Remember him being part of a great Denmark team,but also was involved i think in problems with Ole and Hans.Wasn't there quite a bit of rivalry and tension between the two of them(Hans and Tommy)because Hans thought Tommy was closer to Ole and treated better.But they were all great riders,Hans,Erik,Tommy and Jan :D

The main rivalry was between Erik and Hans because of Olsen's involvment with Erik, although they did overcome that.

Then there was the 1986 World Final where Tommy apparantly got knocked off by Hans which wouldn't of helped things either.

Then there was the 1986 World Final where Tommy apparantly got knocked off by Hans which wouldn't of helped things either.

Dont think there was much apparently about it Briz - Hans definatley wiped TK out big style couldnt understand at the time how Tommy was excluded ( was at the meeting and it was a long way to go for Erik to have a disaster - But typical of the great man he is he actually came on the cradley coach after the meeting to apologise to us for his performance) and having watched the meeting since its still blatant Hans wiped him out

But as you said all four of these great danes are legends and all sadly missed in our sport

Tommy was excellent and this showed when he came back from his career ending injury to be one of the top riders in the world again!

I remember when he first came back and struggled quite for some time until one night against Cradley and it all came back and he beat Hamill in a run off to give us the bonus point!

Would be great to see Tommy at Brandon again, guess it`s my age but the team we had with Tommy, Kelvin, Rick, JJ was a dream, they were a "team" not like today with all the changes that happen. They were Coventry through and through and when you watch the video`s back you wish you could go upto brandon once more to see them all again, knowing you had Tommy and Kelvin to go out in heat 15.

Great memories he gave us and such a shame he left coventry a few seasons before he should have.

Be a great idea for the bees website or the telegraph to do a where they are now kind of section. If anyone knows how u can get in touch with tommy or any other riders be great to know what they are doing and get them to join us on the forum.

1 last thing !!!!

I hate that new Bee design !! give us back the fighting bee

Hey Ross, Great post, or at least I enjoyed it as well as many other posts here. It has been fun to read the posts about Tommy, I really enjoyed all my years riding with Tommy. Tommy was such a strong force on the team and I always appreciated having him as a team mate, very much a class act and one of the all time greats.I hope someone has pointed TK to this forum to see the nice posts you have all put out. I like you would love to see my old friend soon and my other team members. Rick

Rick as in Rick Miller????