British Speedway Forum
neil_L

Tommy Knudsen

Some great posts on here now. Obviously the late 80's were a very special time for fans and riders alike.

I've emailed Coventry Speedway with a suggestion that they explore the possibility of having a reunion of some of the winning teams perhaps as part of a Home meeting this yr. I believe it would be a massive boost in terms of local press coverage and more importantly get some of the old fans back. I know speedway never gets out of the blood and sometimes fans of old just need a wiff of the castrol-R and they are hooked again. Ok so I'm biased but the championship winning team of '87 / 88 .... Knudsen , Barge, Tatum, Miller, Jorgensen, Clarke and hacket. What a top 5. It's amazing, talking to stangers in the Coventry area and people still remember TK.

There is rich heritage of speeway in Coventry and it's a potential that needs to be tapped into to bring out some of the oldies.

A couple more gr8 memories ...

Miller in 4 laps of wheelies and 3 starts 3 exclusions. Miller - great team man and great entertainer. A good reliable 7-8 point man.

Another TK moment was when he pulled a massive wheelie full speed (not many riders can do a full gas wheelie) and promply fell off over the line. He still got the 3 points though.

Let us know if Coventry get back to you.

As a Bradford fan in the late 80's I have some memories of 3rd heat leaders/second strings who used to love the track repeatedly turning up and stuffing us!!! Don't think anybody will top the days or Riss and Castagna doing it for Ipswich but Rick seemed to like the place.

Tommy K was pretty special everywhere and that Danish WTC side was, in my eyes, the best ever. Can't see anybody beating the Nielsen-Gundersen-Knudsen-Pedersen team (just before Erik's sad accident) wherever you look in the history books.

Shame Tommy never won the world final as he was definitely good enough, there were a few riders at that time who were genuine world class but through injuries and for various other reasons didn't do it. It still grates with me that we never saw a load of 1980's finals with Penhall v Carter v Knudsen v Gundersen v Nielsen v Sanders v Lee and throw in the Moran brothers, Ermolenko, Pedersen and Jonsson for good measure - WOW!!!

As a Bradford fan in the late 80's I have some memories of 3rd heat leaders/second strings who used to love the track repeatedly turning up and stuffing us!!! Don't think anybody will top the days or Riss and Castagna doing it for Ipswich but Rick seemed to like the place.

yep rick did go well around there and had it not been for an Ef (I think or it may have been an exclusion) he could well have been on the rostrum in the 1990 WF held there.

Hey Rick !! It would be really great to have u post on here when you can, Have you been over to the uk much since you left in 92?

hope to hear from you soon and as i posted earlier feel free 2 send me an e-mail.

Take care

Ross

Rick, if it is you, you are a legend, your testimonial was one of the most entertaining meeting ever!! Also not forgetting the night you had to get a 12 point maximum to earn your work permit!!! :D:D Give us a sign Rick!!

Yeah that was a cool night, I remember it well. Were you one of the guys that used to say give me a sign. I dont remember how that started, lol.

would be great if it was Rick !! don`t want any one pretending to be him do we ??

Ross...Can confirm that this is indeed THE Rick Miller. (My email has bounced back so I couldn't let you know direct.)

Welcome back Rick, but 4 posts since 2003? :( Not enough! Please let us all know how you are getting on these days. Are you still doing the film stunt work?

Like I said, I look through the forum and read topics that interest me but I guess I am more of a lurker. Fun to see a little tribute to TK though or any of my old mates.

rick i liked yer style and more importantly yer manner.. as i said before ya dont have to be ugly to be fast an you proved it.. good luck to ya.. ;) you were a class act..

Thanks for the nice post, I obviously have a lot of friends in the UK. I certainly enjoyed my ten years there.

set up a new Rick Miller post in years gone by section

Rick not only was a nice bloke, but beat the worlds best when we least expected it - and also had a few "surprise defeats" as well - but he was a team man and Bees through and through.

Couple of memories of Rick

His engine falling out of his machine during TK's testimonial think it was.

His own testimonial meeting was awesome

Remember him and Billy having a nasty van crash on the way back from Oxford I think it was.

Again Rick you were a top bloke, and i for one would like to thank you for all the entertaining you did :D

Oh yeah the van crash we got lucky not to be hurt worse, we were on the way to Reading on the A423. I remember immediately after the crash, I was being helped by a paramedic and I thought at the time what great luck I had to have a terrible crash but to have an ambulance right there following us. When I came to my senses I finally realized I had been knocked out for or incoherent for about twenty minutes while the ambulance had been called to assist. I still think that is funny.

Thanks, Rick