British Speedway Forum
neil_L

Tommy Knudsen

Some great posts on here now. Obviously the late 80's were a very special time for fans and riders alike.

I've emailed Coventry Speedway with a suggestion that they explore the possibility of having a reunion of some of the winning teams perhaps as part of a Home meeting this yr. I believe it would be a massive boost in terms of local press coverage and more importantly get some of the old fans back. I know speedway never gets out of the blood and sometimes fans of old just need a wiff of the castrol-R and they are hooked again. Ok so I'm biased but the championship winning team of '87 / 88 .... Knudsen , Barge, Tatum, Miller, Jorgensen, Clarke and hacket. What a top 5. It's amazing, talking to stangers in the Coventry area and people still remember TK.

There is rich heritage of speeway in Coventry and it's a potential that needs to be tapped into to bring out some of the oldies.

A couple more gr8 memories ...

Miller in 4 laps of wheelies and 3 starts 3 exclusions. Miller - great team man and great entertainer. A good reliable 7-8 point man.

Another TK moment was when he pulled a massive wheelie full speed (not many riders can do a full gas wheelie) and promply fell off over the line. He still got the 3 points though.

I remember TK coming of the back, Swindon I believe. I did it once at Coventry after a meeting, I believe it was my first meeting at Coventry after scoring 0 probably.

Let us know if Coventry get back to you.

I don't believe I know anyone in Bee's mngmt anymore, sad to say.

As a Bradford fan in the late 80's I have some memories of 3rd heat leaders/second strings who used to love the track repeatedly turning up and stuffing us!!! Don't think anybody will top the days or Riss and Castagna doing it for Ipswich but Rick seemed to like the place.

yep rick did go well around there and had it not been for an Ef (I think or it may have been an exclusion) he could well have been on the rostrum in the 1990 WF held there.

I never quite understood what happened in my fourth ride?, but I got excluded after the race for a start infraction. But, I did like Bradford most of the time. I did have one of my worst falls hitting the turn one wall and suffering a bad concussion, that wall didn't move. Was sorry to hear Odsal went by the wayside.

Rick, if it is you, you are a legend, your testimonial was one of the most entertaining meeting ever!! Also not forgetting the night you had to get a 12 point maximum to earn your work permit!!! :D:D Give us a sign Rick!!

Yeah that was a cool night, I remember it well. Were you one of the guys that used to say give me a sign. I dont remember how that started, lol.

no i was not rick as i was a little too young!!! :D

I've just had a set of laydown covers made in Tommy's style, sponsors etc and have just ordered a set of kevlars as per his testimonial year.  Me and my Dad have also invested in a replica bike build from his testimonial year so I'll keep you updated with the progress :)

Bike TK.png

Edited by SpeedwayTShirts
  • Like 1

Tommy would make a great subject in "Backtrack".

• Like 1

Now the proud owner of a 1988 Tommy Knudsen Bike all put together by Carl Newey. This project took nearly 12 months and is to the finest detail.

Here’s a YouTube link for a video look around VIDEO LINK

AD1EE70B-73FE-4B16-A671-E97DF3F87795.png

• Like 4

Does anybody remember the bees vs exeter meeting in 1979. Coventry had to win to keep our title hopes alive. We were getting beat and needed a heat advantage in the last race. Tommy was fenced by one exeters multiple czech riders. He was put on a stretcher but ole stopped the medics taking him to the first aid room. He dusted himself down and along with mitch shirra got the result 40-38. We beat hull in the decider and won the league. Tommy was only seventeen at the time. True legend

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1