British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Phil

Teams that might want to move up? CL to PL

What are the crowds like at Mildenhall and Wimbledon and are there ready to move up?

(lets leave the discussion of the size of the league for a different day)

Are there any other clubs in the conference league which could move up?

Although the crowds have been steadily rising at Plough Lane this season, the argument is that the levels will only comfortably cover racing at Conference Level.

To move up to Premier would be a gamble, with the vast increase in riders wages, because at the moment with riders on £5 per point, the turnstile covers this. Then of course there is the rent, which is undoubtedly the highest in Speedway.

Then again you could say that the Club is surviving on its own supporters at the moment, because the only time visiting supporters will come in numbers is when the likes of Mildenhall and erm, well Mildenhall are in opposition.

With the move up to Premier we would be getting around 25% more supporters from the visiting team.

Do we stay where we are and survive in comfort, or do we move up and fall by the wayside as we did in 1991.

Tricky one, thank god I'm not the one to make the decision!!

But ultimately I would love to see my team back up with the Elite, not neccessarily in the Elite ;-)

Hmmm, an interesting one as ever from Phil.

Last year Mildenhall made a profit in the CL, no mean feat when you look at our payroll! As with most clubs perhaps, I'm sure we could stay above water in the PL with the crowds we get for the BIG matches - Rye House, Peterborough, Wimbledon, but as for on crowds on fixtures against likes of Newport, Wolves, Carmarthen, I'm not too sure. Almost impossible to tell until Mr Mole lets me sees his figures!

There's a lot to say on if we went up we could have derbies against Kings Lynn, possibly Ipswich, Rye & Arena to attract big crowds.

There's no doubt our following has also grown due to winning matches regularly - would this subside if we were just a run of the mill PL team?

It's a poser but in my opinion Dingle was always right - we should stay where we are financially secure. We closed in 92 'cause of poor crowds, they weren't the greatest in the late 80s either - it's better for regular speedway in the CL than to risk financial ruin for a step up.

Basically it seems to be the same arguement for the step up from CL to PL as it does from PL to EL.

Financial survival is a necessity.....its good to see teams being realistic about that in all 3 leagues.

Once we all realise it we can look at ways of working together to ensure a future for all three leagues and speedway as a whole.

The Conferance league has expanded so much since its birth, I'm pretty sure other clubs would run teams if their stadiums/councillors allowed. It wouldn't surpise me if in another five years if speedway continues to grow at its current rate that there will be as many teams in the conferance as in the Premier.

Speedway thrives on variety, look at the success of the premier league. Lets hope stability comes before gamble.

I enjoy conference racing and like seeing the youngsters come on.I remember in the late nineties 98? when there were five or six teams in there which were Newport,Buxton,Mildenhall,St Austell,Boston I think,now look at it!.Great. :)

Robbo :D

Basically it seems to be the same arguement for the step up from CL to PL as it does from PL to EL.

Financial survival is a necessity.....its good to see teams being realistic about that in all 3 leagues.

Once we all realise it we can look at ways of working together to ensure a future for all three leagues and speedway as a whole.

I'm with you 100% on that Lioness. :approve:

Guest JY2003

I would love to see Wimbledon in the Premier League and have the likes of Carl Stonehewer come down and either ride for us or against us!Would be fantastic!Hehe! :D !

I think, as long as Mildenhall got a crowd of about 800, and with "Moneybags Mole, they would be able to survive. Mole is loaded, and as long as they got a respectable crowd figure and could build a team, then Mildenhall would have no worries IMO.

No offence to Wimbledon, but when I seen the Plough Lane track on SKY I think if they move up to the PL it would need a bit of work done on it because riders had to shut-off a lot by the looks of it. If the crowds are big enough, and the promotion can afford it, then (again) why not move up?

Why this Obsession to move up, far better to be a big fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big pond.

If you like the riders you have now,enjoy them because moving up would probably mean a new set of riders.

That goes for all teams, it needs a lot of hard thinking, its a big step and could be financial suicide.

There's only one thing after that..... CLOSURE.....

Just makes you wonder if the future for Speedway in this country , at least at Club level, is similar to Conference, IE: basically enthusiasts, with expenses being covered.....not a thrilling thought, but with so few clubs from the EL or the PL actually making money, it does make me a little worried.

If Wimbledon pay riders like Wayne Barrett £25 a point, no wonder they can't afford to move up.

Yes, of course we do!! :roll: :?

Better to have Wimbledon in the Conference League than no Wimbledon at all. Let's just take our time on this one, eh and let the crowds build round the success of the Dons in the Conference arena?

Better to have Wimbledon in the Conference League than no Wimbledon at all. Let's just take our time on this one, eh and let the crowds build round the success of the Dons in the Conference arena?

Well said Norbold!!!!!, I think that statment is good sense for most clubs, I don't think Somerset are as well off as they used to be, its a very big step..., I think let the Conference League gradually progress into a true third division ......... OR.... Second division and Premier first division.

Since 1998 Conference has built up by umpteen teams, Elite have put on none...You can see where the growth is in Speedway.