British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
howling gorgon

Weslake's

There's actually one for sale on ebay, alongside a load of other speedway relics. So I think that speaks volumes about what has happened to Wessies HG.

HG, as far as I know Don Godden took over Weslake, and produced the magnificent GR500, an engine that many riders used with great success including Hans Niesson, I bought a GR for Glenn Doyle when I sponsored him, Don was brilliant to deal with and a great engineer too !

Weslake were taken over by Bill Davies and Tig Perry. Their decline came about by most riders preferring the GM and to a lesser extent the Godden or the new (at the time) single overhead cam Jawa

Looking back there are certain riders that seem to be at the start of a new trend due to their success with a certain machine - eg. Egon Muller with the GM and Neil Street/Phil Crump with 4 valves. Who was ther rider who started the trend for Weslakes in the first place? Was it Peter Collins?

My memory bank is getting overdrawn now, but ISTR that Nigel Boocock was one of the first to use Weslake engines?

Looking back there are certain riders that seem to be at the start of a new trend due to their success with a certain machine - eg. Egon Muller with the GM and Neil Street/Phil Crump with 4 valves. Who was ther rider who started the trend for Weslakes in the first place? Was it Peter Collins?

If my memory serves me correctly I believe it was John Louis who was the first Weslake rider.

I'm sure PC had a hand in making the weslake popular with his magnificent win in the 76 world final

1975 British Speedway Final

1 John Louis

2Peter Collins

4 Ray Wilson

5 Martin Ashby

All mounted on the British Weslake

What a brilliant man Harry Weslake was

Guest Steve Magro

:) Hi folks,

my name is Steve Magro from Australia. I have a Weslake Mk3 (brought here by Marvin Cox in 1986) mounted in my living room, by the TV. I can highly recommend investing in one as they are relatively cheap now. It doesn't take up much space, it's clean and makes me smile when I look at it. It's also often a topic of discussion when people drop by.

Also some info please. Am I able to have emails of various messages on 'Years Gone By' sent to me, or do I always have to get on the web site and view each topic of discussion individually?

Finally. I have an historical web site which may be of interest to some of you.

cheers

:) Hi folks,

my name is Steve Magro from Australia. I have a Weslake Mk3 (brought here by Marvin Cox in 1986) mounted in my living room, by the TV. I can highly recommend investing in one as they are relatively cheap now. It doesn't take up much space, it's clean and makes me smile when I look at it. It's also often a topic of discussion when people drop by.

Also some info please. Am I able to have emails of various messages on 'Years Gone By' sent to me, or do I always have to get on the web site and view each topic of discussion individually?

Finally. I have an historical web site which may be of interest to some of you.

cheers

Hiya Steve nice to see you on here :)

Afraid the forum isn't set up for e-mail Steve, just message board format but I hope you'll keep coming back 8)

I have a Weslake Mk3 (brought here by Marvin Cox in 1986) mounted in my living room, by the TV.

You've got me thinking now mate. I wonder if there's any chance that Mrs Lt will let me mount a Jap in the bedroom.

I have a Weslake Mk3 (brought here by Marvin Cox in 1986) mounted in my living room, by the TV.

You've got me thinking now mate. I wonder if there's any chance that Mrs Lt will let me mount a Jap in the bedroom.

Oh Lt, never had you down for kinky............never mind Mrs LT, have you considered how this Japanese person might feel about being mounted, (ooh er missus!!), more to the point how you going to coax them into your bedroom in the first place?

:D

Oh Lt.........., could'nt ignore this one, never had you down for such a kinky pervert............never mind Mrs LT, have you considered how this poor Japanese person might feel about being mounted in your bedroom?, (ooh er missus!!), more to the point how you going to coax them into your bedroom in the first place?

Ray Wilson still lives in a bog

:D